U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 02:50 PM

2,308 posts, read 3,941,932 times
Default What do you think of picky eaters?

I've encountered some really picky eaters lately. It makes it hard to make a meal for them because I'm concerned they won't like it. I tend to not cook meals for picky guest but rather just order pizza to save myself the grief.

Maybe the picky eaters I know are bit extreme but how do you deal with these people? I always thought it was rude to refuse food without even taking a bite? Am I wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 02:54 PM

17,258 posts, read 14,117,427 times
They make it difficult to cook with variety. It's a hassle.

How I deal with them depends on who it is. In the case of my SO, who I share a home with, it's tricky. In the case of friends who are ultra picky/have self-imposed dietary restrictions that are not easily worked around (vegan and such), I simply don't invite them over for a meal. I socialize with them in other contexts, where this won't be such an issue. I used to worry that I might seem rude for never cooking for them, but I figure it's probably something they're pretty used to.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:54 PM

7,665 posts, read 7,615,027 times
I think the reason we have picky eaters is because their parents allowed them to be picky eaters when they were little and they got away with it . thus causing them to be picky eaters when grown up . I detest picky eaters .

Old 02-16-2011, 03:54 PM

19,855 posts, read 12,204,753 times
Everyone that eats in my house, family/friends, knows I don't cater to anyone. If you dont like what I'm cooking then dont it eat. It's amazing how many of my "STRICT" vegan/vegetarian family/friends cheat when they come to my house for meals. SHOOSH!!!! I won't tell anyone.

Old 02-16-2011, 04:09 PM

20,700 posts, read 21,559,739 times
I think that there are at least two different types of picky eaters. The ones that have "selective eating disorder" and feel that there are very few foods they are even capable of eating. They like bland, processed, salty food. They will eat only few selected items and reject other without any reason or explanation. They will stick to few brands and never touch other.

And there are picky eaters that don't like this and don't eat that - only because it looks or smells "gross"; but when asked, they will admit that they never even tried it, and actually do not know how it taste. They fear to try new foods, and usually stick to food they know from their childhood. They decide "in advance" that they will not like it anyway, or get sick from it. Sometimes they will not eat a familiar food only because the texture looks/feels different from what they used to.
They will say that "someday in the future, when they are mentally prepared for", they might have a bite, but that usually never happen.
Kids that are picky eaters most likely continue to be picky eaters as adult.
Many times the way they select their food was determined when they were kids. Kids that eat mostly at fast food places, or microwaved TV dinners do not want to try fresh fruits, raw veggies, or differently prepared familiar foods. This habit is for many very hard to overcome.

I also know some "picky eaters" that would agree, or even request to dine in a elegant and expensive restaurant, select a dish from the menu and then just push the food around the plate without even tasting it. When asked what's wrong, they could not explain their feelings, resist inquiring about the food or order something else. At one time someone told me that it is a bad manners to eat everything what is on the plate, but didn't know how much is "required" to leave on it . That person told me that she should not give the impression that she was hungry.

And there of course are "The Picky Eaters That Love To Waste"!
Easy to spot in buffet style restaurants. They will make many trips to the buffet, load their plate with food, take two bites, and go back to load another plate. Sometimes same food, different combination...

Go figure...

Old 02-16-2011, 04:12 PM

18,869 posts, read 14,572,876 times
I don't cook for them. I was married to one, and I divorced him...Mother of one, stopped cooking for him when he was 12. If what I make is not good enough for you..then you are free to make whatever you would prefer...or bring your own food...and as for my daughter, who can keep with "diet of the week"?

Old 02-16-2011, 04:16 PM

23,444 posts, read 16,856,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I think that there are at least two different types of picky eaters. The ones that have "selective eating disorder" and feel that there are very few foods they are even capable of eating. They like bland, processed, salty food. They will eat only few selected items and reject other without any reason or explanation. They will stick to few brands and never touch other.

And there are picky eaters that don't like this and don't eat that - only because it looks or smells "gross"; but when asked, they will admit that they never even tried it, and actually do not know how it taste. They fear to try new foods, and usually stick to food they know from their childhood. They decide "in advance" that they will not like it anyway, or get sick from it. Sometimes they will not eat a familiar food only because the texture looks/feels different from what they used to.
They will say that "someday in the future, when they are mentally prepared for", they might have a bite, but that usually never happen.
Kids that are picky eaters most likely continue to be picky eaters as adult.
Many times the way they select their food was determined when they were kids. Kids that eat mostly at fast food places, or microwaved TV dinners do not want to try fresh fruits, raw veggies, or differently prepared familiar foods. This habit is for many very hard to overcome.

I also know some "picky eaters" that would agree, or even request to dine in a elegant and expensive restaurant, select a dish from the menu and then just push the food around the plate without even tasting it. When asked what's wrong, they could not explain their feelings, resist inquiring about the food or order something else. At one time someone told me that it is a bad manners to eat everything what is on the plate, but didn't know how much is "required" to leave on it . That person told me that she should not give the impression that she was hungry.

And there of course are "The Picky Eaters That Love To Waste"!
Easy to spot in buffet style restaurants. They will make many trips to the buffet, load their plate with food, take two bites, and go back to load another plate. Sometimes same food, different combination...

Go figure...
Oh, man.....people like that just make me wanna smack 'em upside the head!
Its just food, for crying out loud......

Old 02-16-2011, 04:18 PM

8,386 posts, read 11,588,825 times
These days everyone has some idiosyncrasy. Some vegetarians, vegans, L, O, Vege. No red meat. No processed cheese. No corn syrup, white flour, BHA, MSG. Low sodium, low fat, blah, bhal, blah.

I don't even try any more. I just ask them what they eat and then make it. It means short orders instead of meals, but that is the sign of the times. and, its mostly boomers that have the weird requirements. Under 30's in my world are remarkably flexible.

Old 02-16-2011, 04:24 PM

20,700 posts, read 21,559,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Oh, man.....people like that just make me wanna smack 'em upside the head!
Its just food, for crying out loud......
^^^ For me food is not only one of life's great pleasures but also one of life's great arts.
The art of preparing good food.
The art of serving it properly.
The art of enjoying it in the right surroundings
and with the right company.

Old 02-16-2011, 04:24 PM

38,741 posts, read 36,495,035 times
What I think of picky eaters depends on whether they are children or not. Children have an excuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink