Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe in organic foodstuff?
Yes, I believe in it 26 52.00%
No, it's just a marketing ploy 18 36.00%
Not sure 6 12.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 08:46 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,473,728 times

Advertisements

I really love organic milk. It always tastes better to me, but I guess that is due to the process it goes through in order for it to last longer, not the fact that it's organic. I've stopped buying it recently because it's almost double the price of non-organic milk at my local grocery store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 10:27 PM

665 posts, read 1,724,281 times
My wife just bought two Publix organic pizzas. There was organic potato starch in the feta cheese ?????.

I had no idea they made cheese using potatoes.

most organic is bunk.....

Apples and peaches YES, buy organic. Pesticides suck.

Old 03-20-2011, 08:23 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,472,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laidbackhippie View Post
My wife just bought two Publix organic pizzas. There was organic potato starch in the feta cheese ?????.

I had no idea they made cheese using potatoes.

most organic is bunk.....

"Organic" prepared food is a crapshoot.

Organic wheat bread sweetened with honey and brown sugar? Yummy. Cheese from organic dairy substitutes? blech

I keep a few rules:

1) Avoid processed food except where it's difficult to cook from scratch (bread, pasta, organic dumplings, pasta sauce, Bachman's pretzels).
2) Try and get most calories from the perimeter of the supermarket (fresh meat, produce, and dairy) or minimally processed staples (olive oil, flour, rice, pasta).
3) Organic meat (when mark-up is under 25%*), organic dairy (always: remains fresher long, tastes better), organic vegetables (price difference is 10%). Fruit: Organic carries an outrageous premium, so we eat seasonally.

*It is not uncommon to find store brand (Stop and Shop) organic which is comparable to non-organic name brand prices in the meat department.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:51 AM

13,396 posts, read 44,914,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laidbackhippie View Post

This is what first got me into buying organic.
Back in the 70's I read Rachel Carson's Silent Spring.
Not all chemicals are horrible, and not everything under the organic label is bunk. The buyer must beware.
I try to buy locally and seasonally, I avoid processed foods.
I grow some of my own tomatoes, herbs and citrus.
I grow without dangerous pesticides and it is indeed somewhat of a hassle to do this organically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink