Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 09:14 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,471,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Country Of Origin Labeling (COOL) is a requirement signed into American law under Title X of the Farm Security and Rural Investment Act of 2002 (known as the 2002 Farm Bill). This law requires retailers to provide country-of-origin labeling for fresh beef, pork, and lamb. The program exempts processed meats. The United States Congress passed an expansion of the COOL requirements on 29 September 2008, to include more food items such as fresh fruits, nuts and vegetables.
Be careful with this law. As with any law there are exclusions and the inevitable fine print. It was further expanded in March or May, 2009. It's very convoluted.

COOL also allows meat that is grown in the US to be processed outside of the US and still maintain the Product of the USA (or Country of Origin:USA) designation, if that food is altered "minimally" (additives such as additional meats, salt, tomatoes, etc.). I remember reading some concerns farmers' outfits had with this law, because it allows additives over which the farmers have no control.

All local and state regulations were preempted by this act. Buy local if you can ~

I buy a lot of processed specialty items from Europe and Canada because apparently vegetarian things are more common there (). A lot of out-of-season fruit on the west coast comes from Mexico, Central or South America. A lot of it comes from China as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 11:30 AM

7,371 posts, read 6,831,245 times
Quote:
^^^ would you refuse everything that is made in Europe too?
I have to admit that I don't. I love European chocolate...., and occasionally buy it. My opposition to buying anything offshore is mainly because of the job loss in North America, because of jobs that have gone offshore.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:18 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,245,632 times
I've noticed more and more products have stopped listing country of origin. I assume when no country is listed that it is Chinese. I used to buy Rite-Aid brand cimentidine (Tagamet) for my tummy troubles, because it worked and said "Product of Canada" on the box. Just recently the last one I bought had no country listed, so I now think they switched to China. Most of the personal care items we buy are Chinese made, they will only say "Distributed by...".

Old 03-02-2011, 10:54 PM

736 posts, read 1,695,130 times
I remember Whole Foods selling "California Blend" organic vegetables which came from China. The "California Blend" is a marketing term, apparently.

Whole Foods 365 Organic: Made in China. An ABC Exposé. | elephant journal

Old 03-02-2011, 11:56 PM
bjh

60,079 posts, read 30,387,317 times
Yes, I do. But distributors and manufacturers can be two different places for the same product, as others have said.

Quote:
^^^ would you refuse everything that is made in Europe too?
If it's made in Eastern Europe, I wouldn't eat it. Think Chernobyl and uncontrolled pollution in the Soviet bloc.

Old 03-03-2011, 06:08 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,423,548 times
Honestly.. No I had never thought to until recently, mostly from reading here on CD.

Old 03-03-2011, 06:16 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,815,934 times
I do look. I try not to buy produce from Mexico and products from China, if I can help it. Both places scare me with how lax they are with their food rules.

I wish more things were made here. We really need a resurgence of American made items.

Old 03-03-2011, 06:44 AM

4,627 posts, read 10,471,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highway29south View Post
I do look. I try not to buy produce from Mexico and products from China, if I can help it. Both places scare me with how lax they are with their food rules.

I wish more things were made here. We really need a resurgence of American made items.
There's no way we could have apples or grapes all year long without importation from other countries. I'd trust foods (produce) from Mexico; their exportation laws to the US are as strict as ours. A lot of those pre-packaged salads that say "Product of US" are Mexican in origin. Unless you have your own garden and only eat things that are in season, using produce from other countries is unavoidable.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:10 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,061,247 times
I try to avoid vegetables from Mexico, leafy ones anyway. And I buy nothing that comes from China. Fruit( canned, packaged) and mushrooms are big exports from there so check the label.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:44 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
I buy products imported from Mexico whenever possible, such as hot sauce, canned refried beans, fruit juices, etc. My supermarket offers imported Coca Cola from Mexico, where it is made with sugar, not corn syrup, but it's expensive and I don't buy it, but only because of the price.

I have no fear of imported foods, and do not consider food exports to be a form or organized terrorism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink