U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 04:33 AM

18,870 posts, read 13,790,491 times
One thing I have noticed in my city, is that inner city, where mostly poor folks live, there are no full service markets, just small bodegas, with no fresh meat, fruit, or vegetables, and people in those areas don't even have cars to drive to a nice store, so they are stuck, with the offering available at the small store, with outrageous prices. Those who have the least money to spend on food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 09:49 AM

3,844 posts, read 2,373,022 times
I live in a suburban area, and it is about 30 minutes walk to the nearest supermarkets...there are two..WalMart and Cub Foods. This would be one hour round trip, but I could take the bus back from the store since its too much to lug food for 30 minutes (unless I had a bike). I shop for one (I am a widower and dont do much fancy or serious cooking), so this is do-able.

For closer things...more of a brief walk... there is this "Discount Drug Supply" which, despite the name, carries a lot of canned & frozen food, milk, eggs, a limited "Fresh" section, etc...stuff you sometimes need to 'run out and get', a Walgreens that has some limited food, and two Indian markets.

For city people here, there is very limited food selection for groceries. I think there is only one Kroger (regional supermarket chain) right in town, and the "corner stores" seem to be more about junk food, cigs, and malt liquor. There is one small independent supermarket downtown that has a limited selection of fruits, veggys, and the usual canned/frozen stuff, but dont know abou the neighborhoods (and the prices are higher). There is also a good sized Mexican supermarket in one of the neighborhoods.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:22 AM

38,730 posts, read 35,010,483 times
Nope. I chose where I live, with proximity of supermarket and library in mind, so I can walk easily to either of them, and go often enough to buy only what I can carry.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:29 PM

8,958 posts, read 7,313,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
One thing I have noticed in my city, is that inner city, where mostly poor folks live, there are no full service markets, just small bodegas, with no fresh meat, fruit, or vegetables, and people in those areas don't even have cars to drive to a nice store, so they are stuck, with the offering available at the small store, with outrageous prices. Those who have the least money to spend on food.
The poor center city folk's are the first to deserted by the big grocery chains and independent grocery stores are robbed so often even they have quit the poor areas.

In a time of real crisis it is these desperate people that will be first out to scavenge what they can find to feed themselves and their families. It's ticking time bomb there.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:31 PM

3,091 posts, read 2,127,462 times
I been getting our family out of the habbit of overstocking..
I kid you not, last year I counted canned goods and she had 25 cans of corn...
we cleaned out the freezer and there was a 3 year old london broil.
It was throwing money in the trash.
I'm the only driver in the family now so we pretty much go to the store once a week.
If something is on sale like Ham I get two, and I still have a thanksgiving good deal turkey in the freezer...

Good thing for me I was getting pretty tired of eating pork chops twice a week...

Old 03-07-2011, 07:46 PM

914 posts, read 700,276 times
I live in the suburbs and my house is about two blocks from a grocery store, and about 3 miles from the biweekly farmer's market We probably have 2 weeks worth of food. I'm trying to get into the habit of buying less to reduce the amount of wasted food, although we are pretty good about eating things before they go bad.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:50 PM

1,306 posts, read 2,209,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post

In my small rural midwestern town (pop. 3300) we have gone from 4 grocery stores in 5 years to one that must charge outrageous prices since they have to pay outrageous prices as an independent grocer. I now must drive either 25 miles or 35 miles to get to grocery stores that have a selection of food beyond milk and some basics!
Thanks to the internet you can get a lot of groceries shipped to you at low prices and free shipping. Of course this will not work for fresh vegetables and meat however it works for many other staples. For example Iherb is great and I use it all the time to buy Arrowhead Mills products. Bob's Red Mill is the place for grains,cake mixes,rice etc. You can order healthy bread and baked goods from Natural Ovens of Manitowoc and probably several other bakeries with an online presence.

Arrowhead Mills - iHerb.com

Rice - iHerb.com

Shop | Natural Ovens Bakery Shop (http://www.naturalovens.com/Shop/index.html - broken link)

Monthly Specials - Bob's Red Mill

Amazon.com: cereal

Old 03-07-2011, 07:52 PM

4,461 posts, read 3,398,372 times
We are 70 miles one way to any type of good store. We have about 3 months of food on hand + wate.
Only problems is during the no harvest time, we do not have fresh fruits,veg's.
But also lots of "GUN'S AND AMMO".
Happy trails,

Old 03-07-2011, 07:59 PM

2,648 posts, read 3,540,031 times
It just doesn't pay to stockpile food in a freezer. If you want to have food for a SHTF situation you want to stockpile things like dry Beans, Rice, Peanut Butter, Jelly, Jams, canned goods, Whole grains, flour, Dry Yeast, sugar and the two most important things: All the clean water you have room for and two or three hundred pounds of Rock Salt. Food Grade Ice cream salt is commonly known as Rock Salt and is very cheap. The foods I mentioned will keep safely for at least two years if stored in cool, dry and waterproof containers. Rotate the stock constantly using up the older items and then replacing with newer as needed. Not only will this assure an emergency food supply but with proper planning you will save money.

Before modern refrigeration salt and Vinegar were commonly used in food preservation.

GL2

Old 03-07-2011, 08:55 PM

8,972 posts, read 10,400,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
Before modern refrigeration salt and Vinegar were commonly used in food preservation.
True, how many people could live (very long) on a diet of salt pork, salt beef and salt cod? Don't get me wrong as I have cooked extensively with all three. However, you need to know how to handle the product.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink