U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 05:53 PM

18,868 posts, read 15,710,582 times

Advertisements

Gotta go with the best steak. Hottest grill. I like mine cooked outside. I add flaked salt at the end. And fresh ground pepper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 06:08 PM

8,631 posts, read 12,299,167 times
Age in butcher paper (just like you bought it ) in the frig for three (3) days.

Warm to room temperature for an hour.

Apply dry rub or pepper

Get grill as hot as possible

Sear 3 minutes per side. If the steak is not done (poke with finger and it should feel like compressed muscle on your hand or arm), cover grilll and let it cook until done.

Tent loosely with foil and let sit for 5 minutes before touching it.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:48 PM

504 posts, read 423,572 times
What a great thread to make me hungry lol! Thanks for all the tips! I love a good steak but alas no one else at home does. It's definitely time for me to grill one for myself

Old 03-23-2011, 04:34 AM

28,114 posts, read 23,762,325 times
I melt butter with pepper and minced garlic and then rub that all over the steak and stick in the fridge...some hours later or the next day, I pan sear 2 minutes each side and then stick the whole thing in the oven (400) for 20 minutes.

Medium rare and delish! Usually we eat filet.

Old 03-23-2011, 04:45 AM

4,884 posts, read 4,836,325 times
A pan seared and then baked steak can be good but it's a crying shame to hear a man in Texas isn't grilling or BBQing beef the way god intended.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
A pan seared and then baked steak can be good but it's a crying shame to hear a man in Texas isn't grilling or BBQing beef the way god intended.
Lol...just bought this house and don't own a grill. Can't be missing out on steak in the meantertime.

Old 03-23-2011, 07:25 PM

A pan seared steak should be absolutely dry as a bone. Put on a dry rub. It should go into the hottest pan you can get on your biggest burner. Pan dry. No oil, no butter, no nothing.

Three to five minutes per side. If it feels done, it is, if not turn the gas off and let it sit in the pan until it feels done. then tent it with foil and let it sit for five minutes.

Nothing worse than a steamed steak. Butter, soy, all cause it to be steamed. On a grill they drop into the coals and turn to smoke. That's good. In a pan they boil and ruin the steak.

Done right, you should get a crisp crust on teh outside of the steak even in a pan.

You can't bake a steak, I said.

Old 03-24-2011, 02:44 AM

I dunno, dude...I get rave reviews on my butter-garlic-pepper steaks...melty mouth yumminess.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I dunno, dude...I get rave reviews on my butter-garlic-pepper steaks...melty mouth yumminess.
My sister was a great cook, GRRS, and she would not put anything in the skillet without some butter in it or on it. And everyone will agree that butter adds a lot to everything that is cooked. So I'm sure you are right that a steak with a butter crust is gonna be really good. Sorry for the elitist approach to the steak.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:41 AM

13,036 posts, read 15,133,031 times
Extremely high heat ( I have never been able to cook a decent steak on an electric fire, it must be gas for me or Charcoal)

As I love my steaks "Blue" I only basically cook them until they are seared with a nice brown "crust)

Butter ( small amount) not oil though dry frying it works too if the pan is seasoned properly. I only season with salt towards the end of the cooking as salt tends to make it tough earlier on in the process otherwise.

ALWAYS let your meat rest so the juices do not run out and the meat gets a chance to "un-seize" and relax for maximum tenderness.

I love Fillet best but it needs to be still marbled with a little fat, and to have been hung properly for at least 28 days for maximum flavour as Fillet can otherwise be a little bland. I prefer grass fed and the best steaks I have ever had have been from Alberta , Canada or Argentina.

Bison steaks are also yummy.

Sauces wise for me something like a Red Wine , Shallot and herb reduction , Blue cheese, or a Bearnaise or Wild Mushrooms sauce. I adore fillet steak but rarely have it so it is always a great treat for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink