U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 08:43 AM

4,884 posts, read 4,875,422 times

Advertisements

There are loads of taco trucks in San Diego and in a city which is well known for fish tacos the best fish tacos in the city come from the Mariscos German taco truck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 10:20 AM

22,202 posts, read 13,002,469 times
Being an Angelino I love lunch trucks. Unfortunately, there are none where I live now. (We also have a derth of fast food places which is hard to get used to. No Pollo Locos!)

I can remember being at work in L.A. when the first Space Shuttle ever launched landed at Edwards AFB. A huge group of us were watching the landing on TV. After it came to a stop a bunch of trucks drove onto the runway. Someone in the group said, "Here come the lunch trucks!" and we all burst out laughing.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:40 AM
Status: "I'll be with you forever, my dear little Kiwi." (set 8 days ago)

Location: Going back to the forest to be with nature's goodness.
14,574 posts, read 6,431,238 times
Am I the only one here that thinks those truck probably aren't sanitary? I mean, how do they keep everything clean and safe? Do they get inspected? Maybe if I had a tour of one of those trucks I'd change my mind, but I just don't understand it.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:45 AM

2,639 posts, read 2,658,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
I heard that Santa Ana down in the OC is supposed to the mecca for authentic Mexican lunchero trucks. There's a certain blvd where they all park and you can choose specialties from Puebla at one or from Federale/Mexico City at another or Sinaloa from yet a 3rd, and so on.

Ever tried Kogi's korean taco? They're the original gourmet truck that kicked-off the craze.
To be fair to the precursors, Koji didn't start the craze. They just popularized it by being the first to use social media to alert people to their location. I remember decades ago walking past a Hollywood filming location and looking at the menu of the catering truck. Wow, it wasn't the same fare as the roach coaches that pulled up to the parking lot at my job. I was amazed.

They'll be around for a while now that they've caught on. The best cheap Mexican food always came from the trucks, but they're a lot better now! I guess expectations are higher with more competition. It's only amazing that recognition has taken so long, but their popularity among restaurateurs is a product of the times: the recession. Catering trucks are way more tenable than a brick and mortar restaurant.

To rainroosty: Yeah, with popularity have come stricter controls. They're pretty sanitary, at least the ones that are popular.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:03 AM

4,884 posts, read 4,875,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
Am I the only one here that thinks those truck probably aren't sanitary? I mean, how do they keep everything clean and safe? Do they get inspected? Maybe if I had a tour of one of those trucks I'd change my mind, but I just don't understand it.
At least in California there are very strict food safety rules so that they must follow the same rules and under go the same inspections as regular restaurants. I feel perfectly safe eating at them.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:07 AM

27,237 posts, read 27,163,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
There's taco trucks here but I refuse to eat their food. (south Florida.)

They're more for construction workers who cannot leave the jobsite to get something to eat. I've had the food, it isn't bad at all.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:18 AM

22,202 posts, read 13,002,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
They're more for construction workers who cannot leave the jobsite to get something to eat. I've had the food, it isn't bad at all.
Not in SoCal. You see them at construction sites, outside up-scale office buildings, dirt lots, all kinds of places.

Once they get to know you they'll have your lunch ready when they get to your building. Cook things just how you like it. They really know how to run a business. I've had many, many meals from them and have never gotten so much as an upset tummy.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:07 PM

18,868 posts, read 16,002,659 times
I am not impressed with the one in my town. The food is expensive...when you think that there is no table, or restroom. They have little overhead, so the food should be less expensive than at Chipolte..but it costs the same or more...forget it.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:20 PM

20,744 posts, read 13,519,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
You need to get out more. Maybe that was mostly true 10+ years ago but not now.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:29 AM

38,755 posts, read 39,181,351 times
They never caught on in south Texas. I've eaten at them in south Florida. I think I've seen one or two in the Rio Grande Valley, but nowadays, everybody just goes to the Valero Stripes store, which used to be Circle K, where they retained the world's best convenience-store food, with a short order cook making things up in the back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink