Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 08:44 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times

Advertisements

I would have said Carbonara with pancetta. (or coal miner's spaghetti) but now it has to be Bagna Cauda. That stuff is addictive.

I also adore piccata dishes. Otherwise many of the Italian dishes are too heavy for me with all the red sauces and pasta. I favor the citrus/herby/seafood side of Italian cuisine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 09:40 AM

802 posts, read 642,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
But my favorite is something else that his mom makes: instead of eggplant parmesan, she makes zucchini parmesan. The zucchini slices are lightly breaded and fried and then... oh god, I'm drooling. It's incredible. I've had it for dinner... and then, the next day, for breakfast... and lunch. It's that good.
I will definitely be trying this! Yummo!

Old 03-05-2014, 07:29 PM

181 posts, read 218,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
Italian baked stuffed clams. One of the most delicious, memorable meals of my life. Six, huge and broiled.
Steamed Cherrystone clams without any stuffing!

Old 03-06-2014, 05:15 PM

1,962 posts, read 2,707,067 times
Very simple tastes:

Veal parm
Chicken parm
Lasagna
Baked Ziti
Spaghetti and meatballs

Old 03-06-2014, 05:37 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I would have said Carbonara with pancetta. (or coal miner's spaghetti) but now it has to be Bagna Cauda. That stuff is addictive.

I also adore piccata dishes. Otherwise many of the Italian dishes are too heavy for me with all the red sauces and pasta. I favor the citrus/herby/seafood side of Italian cuisine.
Me, too. I just don't like the red sauces that much.

Old 03-08-2014, 10:36 PM

1,740 posts, read 957,609 times
I think the title of this thread should be "What's Your Favorite American Food Somewhat Inspired by Italian Cuisine" !!

I come from an Italian-American family and most of the dishes my family would make you never see in an "Italian" restaurant. My favorite would be my mom's porchetta. It wasn't like the porchetta you see on the cooking shows on TV, but was a whole pork shoulder roast. She would marinate it in red wine overnight before cooking it, and would stuff it with garlic and finoch (a variety of fennel that my aunt in Massachusetts grew in her garden. It was dried, and when I was a kid, she mailed my mom about 10 lbs of the stuff in a paper bag. My mom used that same batch for about 15 yrs! ) I also miss the traditional Christmas dishes my aunts would make for Christmas eve dinner...cappeletti soup and all kinds of fish and seafood. My mom would bake pannetone bread for breakfast on Christmas morning. They're all gone now, and the next generation just doesn't cook like that anymore.

Old 03-09-2014, 06:55 AM

50,335 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Its a toss up between mussels in an olive oil and herb sauce, or delicate little pouches of pasta stuffed with mushrooms.

Old 03-09-2014, 07:18 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
One of my favorite "Italian peasant" dishes:

Italian sausages (I prefer the hot)
Washed (not peeled) quartered potatoes
Quartered onions
Quartered red and green peppers (seeded)
Several halved garlic cloves

Toss it all in a baking pan, drizzle with a little olive oil and (optional) some red pepper flakes, oregano, rosemary or whatever else appeals (but don't add salt). Cover the pan and pop it into a 350 oven for an hour. Remove from oven, stir it up and put back in for another 15 minutes uncovered.

I enjoy it with some apple sauce on the side. Super easy and wonderfully tasty!

Old 03-09-2014, 11:07 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,341,443 times
Pastissada is easily the best dish I ever tried. Slow cooked horse meat stew from the north. Served with polenta. Ridiculously flavourful.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-UtiZTYMRbd.../patissada.jpg

Old 03-10-2014, 05:23 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralZone View Post
I think the title of this thread should be "What's Your Favorite American Food Somewhat Inspired by Italian Cuisine" !!

I come from an Italian-American family and most of the dishes my family would make you never see in an "Italian" restaurant. My favorite would be my mom's porchetta. It wasn't like the porchetta you see on the cooking shows on TV, but was a whole pork shoulder roast. She would marinate it in red wine overnight before cooking it, and would stuff it with garlic and finoch (a variety of fennel that my aunt in Massachusetts grew in her garden. It was dried, and when I was a kid, she mailed my mom about 10 lbs of the stuff in a paper bag. My mom used that same batch for about 15 yrs! ) I also miss the traditional Christmas dishes my aunts would make for Christmas eve dinner...cappeletti soup and all kinds of fish and seafood. My mom would bake pannetone bread for breakfast on Christmas morning. They're all gone now, and the next generation just doesn't cook like that anymore.
I remember the X-Mas eve fish meals. Tuna fish w/ sauce over spaghetti, cod salad, cod soup, stuffed squid, whiting fish, um probably more. My mother used to make homemade zapalas (not sure of spelling) with white raisins before the feast. Wow, where they something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink