Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 02:48 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Constantly having drinking water at your fingertips has been touted as a must-do in recent years. I think it's due to combined factors...beverage companies pimping bottled water need to market it, fitness and weight loss experts recommending that when people think they are hungry, they are really thirsty, leading people to substitute beverages when they would ordinarily snack. And, like smoking, gum chewing, it gets to be a habitual pattern, not something that's really necessary.

I don't really think that most people are constantly thirsty. I think it's just habitual behavior. That said, it never really occurred to me to be annoyed by it. I do notice it, probably because I'm the opposite extreme. I tend to underhydrate, and I rarely even have a beverage with a meal (something others frequently notice and comment on). Because I'm seldom thirsty, unless exercising or there being some other extenuating circumstance, like extreme heat, ate lots of salty or garlicky food, etc.), it seems especially noteworthy to me that there are a lot of people who can't be without something to sip on. I've never had that feeling.
I like to carry a bottle of water with me. Mainly, because if I do get thirsty, I am not going to stop at a convenience store or McDonalds and pay $2.00 for something I can bring with me for free.

Same goes with pop bottles, I guess. Why pay $2.00 at a convenience store when you can pay about 75 cents for them at WalMart (or less) and bring them along.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 02:56 PM

61,637 posts, read 87,001,838 times
As I had mentioned it before - I think that's possible to go somewhere for an hour or two and NOT drink or eat anything at that time.
Animals eat and drink when they need it, then go away.
If you have cat or dog, you sure noticed it that they do not finish their food because is there. They walk away so soon they are satisfied. Some people in contrary have a habit to fill their stomach with "something" almost 24/7.
That "something" is usually junk food and soda drinks.
When I am hungry, I sit down and eat, and when I finish, I don't eat anything for another few hours. When I am thirsty, I have 12-16 oz of water or unsweetened tea, drink all of it at once and I am good to go. I don't need to chew/sip on something constantly.

Old 04-10-2011, 01:22 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
If you live in Texas in the summertime, you'd better have something to drink nearby. Otherwise you'll end up in the hospital! !
I do live in Texas in the summertime, and I walk 25 minutes each way to the supermarket several times a week, even when the temperature is over 100 and the heat index 115. I go in the middle of the afternoon, because that's then there's the most breeze and a chance for a few clouds, and lower humidity. A glass of water before I leave is plenty to make it through a couple of hours. If I forget to drink beforehand, I pop into the rest room and drink tap water from the faucet out of my hand.

Please don't try to scare me with that hospital stuff. People who drive airconditioned cars to the airconditioned supermarket don't need to have "something to drink nearby" to stay out of the hospital, even in Texas in the summertime.

Old 04-10-2011, 02:36 AM

61,637 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Well, I do live in Texas too... and never been in a hospital my entire life. Person can stay hydrated without sipping on fluids 24/7. However there is nothing wrong with doing so, just a personal preference , I guess.

Old 04-10-2011, 12:01 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
I get thirsty. When I'm thirsty, I want something to drink.

Old 04-10-2011, 12:02 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
As I had mentioned it before - I think that's possible to go somewhere for an hour or two and NOT drink or eat anything at that time.
Animals eat and drink when they need it, then go away.
If you have cat or dog, you sure noticed it that they do not finish their food because is there. They walk away so soon they are satisfied. Some people in contrary have a habit to fill their stomach with "something" almost 24/7.
That "something" is usually junk food and soda drinks.
When I am hungry, I sit down and eat, and when I finish, I don't eat anything for another few hours. When I am thirsty, I have 12-16 oz of water or unsweetened tea, drink all of it at once and I am good to go. I don't need to chew/sip on something constantly.
On the contrary, I have known dogs that will wolf everything down as soon as they get it, go outside and get sick from eating too fast, and still beg for more food.

Old 04-10-2011, 12:17 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,798,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I do live in Texas in the summertime, and I walk 25 minutes each way to the supermarket several times a week, even when the temperature is over 100 and the heat index 115. I go in the middle of the afternoon, because that's then there's the most breeze and a chance for a few clouds, and lower humidity. A glass of water before I leave is plenty to make it through a couple of hours. If I forget to drink beforehand, I pop into the rest room and drink tap water from the faucet out of my hand.

Please don't try to scare me with that hospital stuff. People who drive airconditioned cars to the airconditioned supermarket don't need to have "something to drink nearby" to stay out of the hospital, even in Texas in the summertime.
If you're driving an air conditioned car to an air conditioned mall I'd agree. If you're out walking in the heat it's a bit different. Having been to Victoria it's not the heat that would scare me. BTW, I've lived in Texas all my life and worked in the heat most of it. Never been afraid to walk rather than drive and I don't need constant hydration. But, if i Did it wouldn't be anyone elses business!

Old 04-10-2011, 12:18 PM

1,882 posts, read 4,617,795 times
Jtur, is this really what you worry about?

I have a drink with me all the time, and there is not a dang thing wrong with that.

BTW, last place I'd get a drink is from a public bathrooms sink. I'm not even a "germaphobe" and I'd wait.

Old 04-12-2011, 12:57 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
A friend of mine, a typical Gemini i.e. scatterbrained artist, always has a 48 oz coffee with her wherever she goes. She rarely drinks from it, and when she stops by she forgets it here and I have to throw it out (always more than half-full). I have a feeling it is like a security blanket to her, especially now since she quit smoking.

I wonder if those who are constantly chugging flavored beverages are pre-diabetic and don't know it yet? One of the first signs of pre-diabetes is an unquenchable thirst. It's the body struggling to achieve homeostasis. I've read somewhere that at least 30% (if I remember correctly) of people who are diabetic or pre-diabetic don't know they are.

I once watched Dr. Oz and he had an impromptu blood sugar clinic in NYC on the street - one guy who was constantly drinking soda all day was diagnosed with extremely elevated blood sugar to the point that the Dr. had him go check into a local hospital. The guy had no idea how poor his health was.

Old 04-12-2011, 01:07 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
i saw this lady in the mall the other day carrying a cup of coffee. she was carrying it out in front of her with a slightly bent but stiff looking arm. it looked she was using it as a prop as a part of looking like a fancy lady.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink