U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 12:47 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,076,146 times

Advertisements

If corn syrup isn't bad like those commercials claim then why isnt it in organic and all natural foods? Also why is it in so many processed foods? I do avoid foods with corn syrup, but Im just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 01:15 PM

33,673 posts, read 51,926,526 times
It is bad, but is cheap. That's why you see it everywhere.
High Fructose Corn Sugar ( HFCS) is a manmade sweetener. The problem is that consuming artificial sweeteners increase desire to continue eating. HFCS is being added to food items that don't normally have sugar and that you wouldn't even describe as sweet. But is added, so you can eat more, buy more.

The cells of your body cannot metabolize fructose. Your liver must metabolize it.
When you eat HFCS it goes directly to your liver where it is converted to fat. HFCS prevents your pancreas from releasing insulin. Without insulin, you may not recognize when you're full. If you don't know when you're full, you may not stop eating until you have eaten way more calories than you actually need.

Good reads here:
News: Corn Refiners Attempting To Rename HFCS
Whats High Fructose Corn Syrup doing in my bread????
Study claims HFCS causes liver damage
Why are we being lied to about HFCS?
and more. Just google it

Old 04-14-2011, 06:23 PM

1,411 posts, read 2,005,850 times
I swear, that stuff is evil. My weight gain/loss is directly correlated to how much of that garbage is in my food.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:48 PM

9,817 posts, read 19,042,905 times
I read the label of everything I pick up in the store and if it has HFCS, I put it back down.

I'm sure due to dining out, it's inevitable that I will consume some HFCS, some way some how, but since being aware of it and cutting it out of my diet in every way I can back around 2004 or so, I feel much better.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:53 PM

9,817 posts, read 19,042,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelorn View Post
I swear, that stuff is evil. My weight gain/loss is directly correlated to how much of that garbage is in my food.
I first picked up on it in 2003 when I went to Australia for 5 weeks. They don't have corn syrup in widespread use and use regular sugar in cookies, soft drinks, etc.

I was eating plenty, maybe more than usual and eating plenty of junk, but lost 10 pounds. I had already heard other mumblings about HFCS, so to me that added up.

What I use at home is raw unbleached sugar(can't remember the brand but it's in a brown box), you can get it at Wal mart. I'll take regular sugar cane any day over processed refined syrup derived from corn.

The corn lobby/growers is getting way too much in federal subsidies.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:55 PM

33,673 posts, read 51,926,526 times
^^^ I read the labels too, but it is very hard to find any product without HFCS nowadays...

Old 04-14-2011, 07:53 PM

2,065 posts, read 4,042,712 times
I clearly notice the difference between HFCS and sugar in products. I do my best to avoid it; it is, as much as possible, no HFCS for me...

Have a glass of soda sweetened with sugar, and another one sweetened with HFCS. You will certainly taste the difference, it is enormous.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:11 PM

22,750 posts, read 28,631,495 times
in reality, its the same as sugar. but now hfcs is evil and "real" sugar is a health food. its like a sick comedy.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:16 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,493,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by princesasabia View Post
If corn syrup isn't bad like those commercials claim...
The bigger question here is why wouldn't you believe the completely fair and balanced side presented by the genetically modified corn lobby and Monsanto, who only have millions of dollars to lose?

They said there's NO DIFFERENCE. I for one, believe them completely, because the actress walking through a corn field telling me about how she researched it looks like a trustworthy mom type.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:23 PM

35,827 posts, read 39,461,204 times
Sugars are sugars...the trend to now tout "real" (i.e. cane) sugar as somehow incredibly healthful is ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink