Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 03:24 PM

25,959 posts, read 22,113,827 times

Advertisements

We have almost eliminated meat from our diet and are headed toward a mostly "raw" diet unless we move to the country soon and I grow my own. Seriously, so many people are getting sick and I think that this crap in the food is making them ill while the doctors give them expensive tests and find nothing. Yuck! That rosemary additive they are using keeps the food from tasting "stale" but I believe what it does is keep you from realizing you are eating food that is going bad, bad, bad. Yuck, again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 03:30 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,197,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Seriously, so many people are getting sick and
Are more people getting sick from food-related contaminants than, say, 50 years ago? I've no idea, do they even track that stuff?

Old 05-02-2012, 03:46 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,998,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
'Meat glue' poses health risks for consumers | abc7.com

I wonder if it works on pink slime? I guess this is how McNuggets are held together. Think this is one of those cases where if it looks too good to be true it probably isn't? I never did like those perfectly formed filets you see in the stores that are made of beef, turkey, or pork.
Hmmmmm.......woiuldnt anyone with half a brain know something was up when they cut into the glued steak and there is no discernible grain pattern?

Old 05-03-2012, 05:29 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Are more people getting sick from food-related contaminants than, say, 50 years ago? I've no idea, do they even track that stuff?
I can't imagine how they could track it accurately? Of course I have my reservations about studies anyway..I am not saying they are bogus, don't get me wrong, but I do question many of them.

As for the meat glue it makes me not want to eat in a low priced restaurant for awhile or buy meat unless I see it being cut and packaged but I believe someone who posts here often explained this just about a week ago and he said it isn't nearly as bad as the studies are making it out to be. I hope he comes back to explain it again. BTW, according to him, this isn't a new practice at all.

Nita

Old 05-03-2012, 06:26 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,929,893 times
Meat glue poses more risk than the meat itself? Red meats themselves are known carcinogens.

Old 05-03-2012, 06:54 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,855,326 times
It just seems like one thing after another with red meat.

Another cow confirmed with Mad Cow disease last month in California, and now a second farm has been quarantined.

Why doesn't the USDA ban the practice of using bovine carcasses as ingredients in cattle feed? Of course diseases are spread when cattle are fed carcasses of other cows, when some no doubt had various diseases?

Old 05-03-2012, 07:47 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
It just seems like one thing after another with red meat.

Another cow confirmed with Mad Cow disease last month in California, and now a second farm has been quarantined.

Why doesn't the USDA ban the practice of using bovine carcasses as ingredients in cattle feed? Of course diseases are spread when cattle are fed carcasses of other cows, when some no doubt had various diseases?
it is banned.

the california cow had atypical BSE, which arises from a mutation, not what they've been fed.

http://blogs.usda.gov/2012/04/25/usd...cent_bse_case/

as to the OP, the health risk seems to be from the increased chance of having e. coli in the interior of the meat where they may not be killed if the cut isn't cooked well - not from the 'meat glue' itself, which they note occurs naturally in blood anyway.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:53 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,683,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Meat glue poses more risk than the meat itself? Red meats themselves are known carcinogens.
Uh huh... I love the scare tactics of vegans... they are so miserable with what they "have to eat" that strict diet, they try to pass that same misery unto others hopefully we'll all be miserable just like them...

Errr so does everything & anything else.
Like that organic veggie / fruit (apples) you eat could be tainted by petrolleum splashed up by another car during transportation...
Or handled by another customer who have hep B or salmonella on their hands... Ooooooh!!!

"Why it's Bad to Eat Too Many Vegetable Oils: That's right, one more things is bad for you! Vegetable oils contains Omega-6 fatty acids, and we eat lots of these. Sunflower oil, soybean oil, safflower oil and most other vegetable oils contain lots of Omega-6 fatty acids. This is bad for a couple of reasons:

1. Omega-6 fatty acids feed tumors. Cancer growth rates nearly explode in the presence of a high level of Omega-6 fatty acids (which many of us have). On the other hand, Omega-3 fatty acids slow the growth rate of tumors significantly, or even decrease their size.

2. The enzymes used to break parent Omega-6 fatty acids down into various compounds are shared by Omega-3 fatty acids. If you have a lot of Omega-6 fatty acids in your blood stream and only a small amount of Omega-3 fatty acids, the enzymes will probably be used up by the Omega-6 fatty acids, and you will be unable to manufacture DHA out of ALA.

3. Omega-6 fatty acids are broken down into substances which promote inflammation and other problems while Omega-3 fatty acids are broken down into substances that reduce inflammation. Therefore, there should be a balance between the two oil. The typical ratio in the U.S. is currently 22:1 in favor of the Omega-6 fatty acids. The ideal ratio is between 1:1 and 4:1."

~ http://borntoexplore.org/omega.htm

General conclusion... IMHO
a totally vegan diet makes people very gullible & easy to mind control (read above, even baby needs that animal fat to build brain cells) since they obviously "buy into" scammer's views & follow trends like that herd of sheep. Their body must really be telling them they lack "something" to make them whole!!!

Talk about food chain,
how high up humans have developed intelligence-wise (but, are we going backwards???)...
Even in one of the latest dinosaurs article... they did say... a vegetable eating dinosaurs is on that lower food chain than its carnivorous cousin.

Yah...
I'd rather be that "top of the food chain" at a party with meat grilling than invited to that vegan one NTY.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:14 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Cite please, to a non-vegetarian/vegan site?

Old 05-03-2012, 01:35 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,855,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Cite please, to a non-vegetarian/vegan site?

Eating a single serving of red meat per day may raise the risk of an early death, according to a new study on ABC news site. Read the article and watch the video:

Red Meat Tied to Increased Mortality Risk - ABC News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink