Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 08:14 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,682,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix lady View Post
You can google "Adventist Advantage." Interesting to see how much less cardiovascular, cancers, etc. that they have due to their vegetarianism and lifestyle, no smoking/drinking. It is a statistical fact. There are variations, of course.
But, people will do what they want. Inverse relationship of education/class (upper, middle, lower) to obesity rates. Same for some diseases. More educated people eat better/healthier, including lifestyle factors. But, not my business. Let people eat what they want and assume the results of it.
I think the meat supply was "healthier" years ago, maybe less hormones, toxins, antibiotics, I don't know, cardiovascular disease wasn't as rampant in the 60's or 70's it doesn't seem. Stress is a factor, too.

OK...
It did not work for my sister (still alive, as living example going through chemo & she loves her tofu) nor my dead grandma (she is buddhist)...
Can I get that "Money back now" (that chunk of change will help out my sister ty very much )????
So how do I contact "Adventist Advantage" to do that???

Its so good to us... it has got to have that money back guarantee. Where is it??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 08:15 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
What gets me is after all this information gets out, most people are going to keep on chomping on this stuff.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:43 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Perhaps because "all this information" changes on a regular basis whenever someone needs to publish or has an agenda, and the thing that was bad for you last month or last year or last decade is now pushed as good for you, and vice versa. Anyone who's been around long enough and kept their eyes and brain open has seen that numerous times over.

As said above, these days, studies can prove anything you want them to prove. Science has gone up for sale to the highest bidder, more's the pity.

And, yes, many people treat vegetarianisnm or veganism as a religion rather than their own personal choice that works (or doesn't, frankly, in a lot of cases) for their particular body, and insist that everyone else must become True Believers. (You did realize that all human bodies are not identical, and have different genetic make-ups based in part on where their ancestors came from?)

I was thinking about the people that I know, personally, who have either died from or survived cancer. Three stand out, all women, all maintaining their high school body weight, exercising regularly, two vegetarian, one not vegetarian but eating a 10% or lower fat very healthy diet. The two vegetarians died (one from ovarian cancer, one from breast cancer) in their 50's. The third, the survivor, now eats more fat, and is 74 and very healthy. The latter, though, my sister, comes from a line where the women (and on our maternal side, the men) tend to live to a ripe old age (our mother died at 80 of complications of a broken hip that she got running from the shower to the phone because she thought, correctly, that it was her boyfriend calling, and she died at the youngest age of all of her 9 siblings except the one who was pregnant during the flu epidemic of 1918). All of those siblings, by the way, ate red meat with gusto.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:44 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,682,095 times
^^^Thank you. Exactly!!!

Remember how egg was sooo bad for you??? Yah.
Smart people make their own decisions.
They don't need another to stand by to verify their own beliefs.

Really eat what you want & who cares???

P.S. I'd really rather have "lived" than NOT lived at all (for fear of my health).
Sorry, won't ever throw a vegan party... my party will always have meat, meat & more meat.
Summer = grill, yes!

Old 05-04-2012, 10:33 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
I know so many people who have completely eliminated red meat from their diet for health reasons. Although most of my friends are either vegetarian or vegan, many of my coworkers and other acquaintances have stopped eating red meat, although they do eat chicken and/or fish.

I work in the medical field, and we always discuss diet with patients and make notes in their charts. It is striking to see the number of patients who have made dietary changes in the past few years. Years ago it was very rare to hear anyone say they were vegetarian and even rarer to say they were vegan. Now it has become very common, and even more frequent for a patient to say that they no longer eat red meat, or eat it only on rare occasions.

I went to dinner with a coworker a couple of months ago and she was pondering whether to get the chicken special or beef. The server said he couldn't recommend the beef, and she asked why. He said he didn't recommend beef at all to anyone, and said he never ate it himself anymore due to health concerns.
and I happen to believe the waiter was totally out of line. If he had complaints about the beef that night, that is one thing, but to share something like what he does or does not eat with customers would be reason to dicuss this with his manager...

Old 05-04-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and I happen to believe the waiter was totally out of line. If he had complaints about the beef that night, that is one thing, but to share something like what he does or does not eat with customers would be reason to dicuss this with his manager...

Absolutely agree. It would be no different if the waiter started prosletyzing his personal religion to the customers and suggested that they say grace at the table.

Again, dietary preferences as religion. So many people do it and would deny with their dying breath (even to themselves) that they do.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:44 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyeats View Post
^^^Thank you. Exactly!!!

Remember how egg was sooo bad for you??? Yah.
Smart people make their own decisions.
They don't need another to stand by to verify their own beliefs.

Really eat what you want & who cares???

P.S. I'd really rather have "lived" than NOT lived at all (for fear of my health).
Sorry, won't ever throw a vegan party... my party will always have meat, meat & more meat.
Summer = grill, yes!
i was about to give some of the same examples: eggs are or were a no no, how about a quart of milk a day is a must for all children (most of you are too young to remember that) and a fat baby is a healthy baby. Then there was the days when the most perfect food there was happen to be potatoes: then there was "stay away from carbs" or how about the days when we were told to eat liver once a week, followed by do not eat animal organs, they are high in colesteral. We can go on and on.

Certainly too much of anything isn't good for us, but most of us will live our lives out, based pretty much of genetics plus great medical proceedures now. If people want to abstain from all meats, good for them or are truely vegans again, good for them, if they want to eat meat products daily, so be it.

When we entertain, we do take into consideration those attending our gatherings, and yes, we try to have something for everyone whether it is an entree, appitizer or even what we offer for beverages, but we do not and will not cater to those who have different eating habits than us and I don't buy the notion vegans or vegetarians are healthier than others. Many exerice more, some do not smoke or consume alcohol which helps but the eating habits alone do not automatically make one healthier.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:54 AM

Heck, doctors used to recommend cigarettes as being good for your health, then they turned into the devil incarnate, now they've discovered as pertains to lung cancer, the 80% of smokers who don't get lung cancer apparently don't have the gene that the 20% of smokers who DO get lung cancer have that makes them more likely to get lung cancer anyway.

All of which goes to show that for all some of us think we know The Absolute Truth Of The Way Not To Ever Get Sick or Die, the absolute truth is that in the overall scheme of things, we really don't know diddly, but we love to both pretend we do and to scare ourselves with boogeymen.

Old 05-04-2012, 06:44 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Sorry. There is enough science out there to dispute stupid anecdotal evidence...a diet based on whole foods, rich in veggies (but not necessarily vegetarian), and low in refined carbs is better for just about anyone.

Old 05-04-2012, 06:58 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyeats View Post
OK...
It did not work for my sister (still alive, as living example going through chemo & she loves her tofu) nor my dead grandma (she is buddhist)...
Can I get that "Money back now" (that chunk of change will help out my sister ty very much )????
So how do I contact "Adventist Advantage" to do that???

Its so good to us... it has got to have that money back guarantee. Where is it??

There's no guarantee about anything in life. You can do everything "right"and still get sick.And, vegans and other types do still get sick. But, overall, evidence based medicine indicates that diet and lifestyle play a central role in causing chronic disease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink