Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 09:38 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post
I saw another thread here or somewhere about that. It just comes down to know'n your butcher or groc store. Buy'n whole cuts/subprimals and knowing what your buying, research/education, is important.

Interesting, thanks Random.
Yes, here: Ever wonder if that filet is really a filet?

There is a lot of crap approved by the FDA as food additives, and consumption of processed and chemically-altered foods represent a significant amount of what the average American eats, the compounding use of these restricted and untested additives is a very real threat to our overall health.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 12:59 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,315,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcm58 View Post
It is interesting but its not being used in US grocery stores to bind fresh meats together so no concern.
It's fully legal and in wide use in the US so, yes, you've probably bought some without knowing it especially if you buy the cheap processed junk.

Old 04-18-2011, 01:02 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,315,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustaduke View Post
Educate yourself before posting this. That video is from overseas and here in the States it's banned to use it.

busta
Jesus... Educate yourself before you post such things to other people. The EU has banned it as they have a much better consumer protection regulatory system then the US but the US has not banned it. In the US industry lobbyists pretty much write their own rules as they've captured most of the regulatory agencies (and it doesn't matter which industry we're talking about because lobbyist money pretty much buys what ever it wants in the US).

Old 04-18-2011, 10:00 AM

509 posts, read 1,167,305 times
This stuff looks awesome. I am going to try to get some and make my own glued steaks.

I wonder if you can glue pieces of chicken, pork, beef, etc. into one long steak. I would call it, "rainbow steak".

Old 05-02-2012, 08:46 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,976,226 times
Default 'Meat glue' poses health risks

Quote:
Meat glue is a powder officially known as transglutaminase. Originally, the natural enzyme was harvested from animal blood. Now it's primarily produced through the fermentation of bacteria. Added to meat, it forms a nearly invisible and permanent bond to any other meat you stick it to.
Quote:
Terje took powder and dusted it liberally over the meat pieces. The coated stew meat then went into a circular tin to give it a nice, round filet mignon shape. He was also able to make a New York strip out of thin cuts of round steak. Adding water makes a soupy glaze, and an easier way to coat the meat.

The final steps were to seal the meat in a vacuum bag, adding some pressure to the bond, and then it was off to the fridge to set overnight.

Twenty-four hours later, the humble $4-a-pound stew meat now looks like a $25-a-pound prime filet.
Quote:
Our results were dramatic and our stew meat filet looks good. But the American Meat Institute, a lobby for the meat industry, wants to stress meat glue is used in the industry to glue scraps of filet mignon back together - so technically you're still getting filet meat.
'Meat glue' poses health risks for consumers | abc7.com

I wonder if it works on pink slime? I guess this is how McNuggets are held together. Think this is one of those cases where if it looks too good to be true it probably isn't? I never did like those perfectly formed filets you see in the stores that are made of beef, turkey, or pork.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:01 AM

1,072 posts, read 1,377,094 times
That sounds horrible... Thanks but no thanks!!!!

Old 05-02-2012, 10:09 AM

509 posts, read 1,167,305 times
That stuff sounds awesome. I want to get some and try making my own glued steaks. I wonder if they come apart at all while grilling though

I also think that "pink slime" has its place, much like mechanically separated chicken. It creates less waste and, as long as it is not poisonous (it isn't), then I don't see the problem; it is a safe and cheap source of protein. Chlorine and ammonia are used to disinfect our potable water supply, but I don't see anyone raising the alarm about that.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:11 AM

14,764 posts, read 8,093,254 times
Ewwwww....wish I had not come into this thread.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:19 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
Yeah connective tissue isnt what it used to be in the good ol days.

I believe meat glue was the cause de jour before pink slime.

Old 05-02-2012, 03:13 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,682,095 times
Nope!
Not eating that!

I like my meat cut & package after viewing that butcher process it (cutting, wrapping etc.) through the "window"... especially red meat. Or that fresh frozen wild caught deer in the freezer.... Or that whole turkey / chicken / baby back rib etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink