U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 07:00 PM

708 posts, read 2,191,641 times

Advertisements

I normally eat Dove and Toblerone chocolate but I decided to purchase some Easter chocolate today from common brands like Hershey's, Palmer and M&M's because they were heavily discounted. I don't know if my tastes have changed or the quality of chocolate has decreased, but they tasted too sweet and didn't have a strong chocolaty taste. Has anyone else noticed this or a change in the taste of common chocolates in the United States?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 07:30 PM

2,187 posts, read 6,581,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happs View Post
I normally eat Dove and Toblerone chocolate but I decided to purchase some Easter chocolate today from common brands like Hershey's, Palmer and M&M's because they were heavily discounted. I don't know if my tastes have changed or the quality of chocolate has decreased, but they tasted too sweet and didn't have a strong chocolaty taste. Has anyone else noticed this or a change in the taste of common chocolates in the United States?
I think that has always been the case...we just like things so much sweeter over here. I get Cadbury's that is imported from the UK, as the U.S. version is just as sweet as Hershey's (same company) which I really dislike. It is good for a couple pieces but I think the main reason things have gotten so much sweeter here is due to the removal of buttercream from chocolate recipes due to the cost. I got so spoiled living in the UK for a few years...we have some great things in the U.S. but sweets are so much better over there!

Old 04-27-2011, 07:39 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,361,269 times
I'm not a huge chocolate person to begin with, but the biggie mass-market commercial brands like Hershey's always taste kinda cheap, overly sugary, and stale to me. If I'm gonna bother to eat chocolate at all, it's probably gonna be Dove or something imported (I also like the Cadbury imports). I do like Lindt's dark chocolate that's a high percentage cacao.

Old 04-28-2011, 05:47 PM

10,236 posts, read 13,523,621 times
I still love those hollow chocolate Palmer bunnies ~ must be a nostalgia thing, I don't know. But to me they taste the same. Those were always a mite too sweet.

My favorite chocolate is Ghirardelli's because they're a medium intensity. I can't stand "milky" chocolate, so I'm no fan of Cadbury or Swiss chocolate. Don't even like Godiva. Lindor is pretty good. Love See's candy bars.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:49 PM

2,065 posts, read 4,036,927 times
I used to LOVE Toblerone when I was younger, but it just does not taste the same anymore.

I still love Lindt, though.

Old 04-29-2011, 10:44 AM

23,906 posts, read 31,137,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happs View Post
I love Hershey's chocolate. Nestle's, not so much. Palmer? Ugh. That stuff doesn't even taste like chocolate to me....never has. I never ever buy it.

Old 04-29-2011, 01:11 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,333,321 times
Each brand of chocolate has it's own, unique flavor.

I've yet to find one I find disagreeable.

Old 04-29-2011, 02:31 PM

1,401 posts, read 2,001,273 times
I had the pleasure of tasting a chocolate called Hachez from Bremen, Germany. It contained 5 ingredients: Cacao, sugar, whole milk, butter fat (buttereinfett), and bourbon vanilla. Lindt is not much worse.

American chocolate tends to use minimum quality cacao embellished with far too much sugar (often the chocolate seems granular) along with hydrogenated oils and waxes for body and sheen.

Old 04-29-2011, 05:28 PM

10,791 posts, read 7,496,571 times
I agree, the mass-market stuff is just too sweet, and not "cocoa-ey" enough for me. We stick with brands like Lindt around our house, dark and milk. Those round chocolate balls they make are sinfully delicious, especially the peanut butter ones. Love the hazelnut ones too, but especially the PB ones. Not technically "Easter-ish" but they're promoted that way here, along with the Lindt bunnies and eggs.

Old 04-29-2011, 05:53 PM

7,513 posts, read 6,007,063 times
I've been munching on a few mini Bunnies, they're Russel Stover solid chocolate and they're delicious
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or