Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 03:05 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony22 View Post
We waited an hour to be seated and close to an hour for our food. We just left and went to a fast food place lol
you got your food and left to eat somewhere else? i dont understand.

you cant just decide that you arent happy with the service so you are going to steal their food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 03:21 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,122,320 times
Yes but the manager let us go after we told him the food was awful that we could leave and didn't have to pay so we were given the green light to leave.

Old 04-29-2011, 03:44 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
Yes ... but with cause, twice ...

At a very famous mexican restaurant in Salt Lake City, one popular with gringo's (the coat and tie crowd) for lunch. My wife and I were on a tight schedule between appointments, and we stopped in for the hour we had between meetings, which should have been adequate time for a meal in a busy ... but not overwhelmed ... restaurant. We asked our hostess if there would be any problem getting seated and served with time to eat in the allotted time frame, and were assured that it was no problem.

So, we get seated, and we've already glanced at the menu's and know what we want. A plate of pork burritos for me in their chili (a very thin soup with big chunks of pork) and my wife wanted a couple of enchilada's ... reasonably fast food to get together. We get glasses of water and the bowl of chips/salsa pretty quickly, followed by the entrees.

I take a bite of my first burrito, and it's nothing but a rolled up tortilla with no filling inside, and a couple tablespoons of the chili with it (no cheese and lettuce, thank you). I'm a bit surprised, so I cut it open ... nothing but the rolled up tortilla on the plate without any filling (no pork, no beans, no rice, nothing). I cut into the second one, and it's as clean as the first one. Short of standing on the chair and waving a napkin, I did everything I could for 15 minutes to find a waiter to show the plate to and get my order corrected. Nothing ... nobody around, and the few waitstaff I see in the distance have got me on ignore.

Well, we've got a limited time window and I need to get on the road ... so I grab my plate of alleged burritos minus one bite and head to the cashier/hostess station to show her what I've been served. She makes a big deal of wanting to collect the tab, and I'm saying, no ... what I want is the meal that I ordered, and now I'm in a bit of time crunch. She got all indignant and huffy about getting paid, and wasn't going to give me another meal. I don't know if she thought I was scamming her or if this was a big joke from their kitchen, but I wasn't going to pay for this crap and I told her so and started heading for the door.

She screams for the cops, and there's a couple of them having lunch at the place, so they come over to see what's going on. Meanwhile, the busboy is trying desperately to take the plate from me and that's my evidence that I didn't get a filled burrito on the plate, so I'm not letting go of it by the cash register. The cops look at the absolutely clean burritos which I'm unrolling, showing no filling at all in them ... and they're incredulous. I explain that I tried to get waitstaff to help me and was ignored, and the hostess was no help, either when I gave up trying to get a waiter to assist.

The cops just waved us out the door with a "Better luck next time" comment about the food.

Second time ... I was taking a large group of clients out to lunch in a moderately priced restaurant. As always, I don't carry cash, but use a company credit card for these events. The server, upon seating us and taking our order didn't mention that their CC terminals were down and they could not accept credit cards. Only after the meal, when I went in good faith to pay the tab ... did anybody mention that they weren't accepting credit cards despite all the signage and logo's on the menu (cheerfully accepted here). Sorry, I don't have any other way to pay for this meal ... if you had told me when we entered the place that your CC processing was down, I'd have taken the group somewhere else. After much discussion, the manager simply waved us on our way. I made a point of it to stop there on my next trip through the area and square away that bill, but it wasn't my fault that they weren't paid at the time.

Old 04-29-2011, 03:49 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Never. When I'm standing before St. Peter I'll have enough to answer for. I don't want to have him waving a bill from Bob's Big Boy in my face.
Oddly enough, that's where I used to dine and dash back in my callow youth, Bob's Big Boy in Laguna Hills. I'm not proud of that behavior, and it is well in my past, as is the whoring around, drinking and driving and the drug use.

Old 04-29-2011, 03:54 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
I have walked out of restaurants but generally before the meal is ordered. Such as the menu didn't offer foods I could eat so I excused myself and left. I did walk out of a Denny's because no one seemed interested in waiting on me after 40 minutes of sitting there. Ft Lauderdale Denny's. I walked out of Joes Crab Shack on the banks of the Columbia River in Vancouver Wash a few years ago. We were seated on an outdoor patio above the river and spotted several River rats running about the Patio Deck. We quickly left and paid the bill. We didn't care about eating at that point and lost our appetite. Just wanted to get the hell out of that restaurant and have never been back. I think the rats are more common than not at that Riverside restaurant, and many locals don't seem put off by them. We most definitely were.

Old 04-29-2011, 04:10 PM

1,956 posts, read 4,876,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
you got your food and left to eat somewhere else? i dont understand.

you cant just decide that you arent happy with the service so you are going to steal their food.
We waited an hour for our appetizers lol

Old 04-29-2011, 04:11 PM

1,956 posts, read 4,876,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
Yes but the manager let us go after we told him the food was awful that we could leave and didn't have to pay so we were given the green light to leave.
Wow, that's a first.

Old 04-29-2011, 04:25 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,052,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony22 View Post
One time, my parents and I walked out of Applebees because the service was horrible.

Walking out because of bad service and not paying your bill is stealing. You don't do that under any circumstance. You pay your bill and the tip should reflect the service.

And you do know that when you steal and stiff the server that most have to pay the bill out of their own pocket?

You have some good parents teaching you good standards don't ya?

busta

Old 04-29-2011, 04:27 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Oddly enough, that's where I used to dine and dash back in my callow youth, Bob's Big Boy in Laguna Hills. I'm not proud of that behavior, and it is well in my past, as is the whoring around, drinking and driving and the drug use.
Yeah. Whenever I went in there they were wandering around the parking lot looking for you.

(Big Boy Combo. Blue Cheese. Small Lemonade. Yummy.)

Old 04-29-2011, 04:36 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
We have never done that intentionally.

We were on vacation in Key West one year, enjoying several "adult beverages" when we decided to leave. Normally we pay-as-you-go but this time we ran a tab and simply forgot to settle up before leaving.

The waitress caught up with us about 30 yards down the road. We were very embarrassed.

Mind you, there have been some places I have been *tempted* to walk out of because the services was so bad, but never did.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink