Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 05:48 AM

24,406 posts, read 23,065,142 times

Advertisements

Its hard to describe but it definitely adds a needed zing to salsa. Not heat, just a peppery or citrus or more of a mint zing. Maybe basil or anise come sort of close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 06:02 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,161,108 times
Cilantro Haters, It's Not Your Fault.

Why Cilantro Tastes Like Soap, for Some - NYTimes.com

I like really cilantro, it has a very grassy, green flavor. I add it liberally to anything Mexican, also to soup and casseroles. I've heard the "yuck, tastes like soap" comment a lot though - according to the above article, it's basically a brain wiring thing.

I hate salt and vinegar chips. yuck. And any sort of sugar substitute leaves the nastiest taste in my mouth...I would probably vomit, honestly, if I had to drink an entire can of diet soda.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the types of foods one eats growing up? Since I've moved to the midwest I find that people here like what I consider very bland food, they tend to be nervous about eating anything spicy or "different."

Old 05-04-2011, 08:07 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,279,685 times
Hmmm have never heard anyone say cilantro tasted soapy. I use it in my Pico de Gallo, my husband uses when he makes salsa and this weekend we used it and basil to make a great tasting pesto.

Old 05-04-2011, 09:04 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,483,506 times
It tastes like perfume and soap combined.. YUCK

Old 05-05-2011, 10:36 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,038,202 times
I've never thought it tasted like soap, but I don't like it. I will eat it if I am "forced" to - like if I'm out in public or with other people, because it's kind of rude to sit and pick stuff out of your food, but if at all possible I order my Mexican foods without cilantro.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:53 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,127,347 times
I have no idea what cilantro tastes like!

Old 05-05-2011, 11:04 AM

5,024 posts, read 8,894,428 times
It tastes like "soapy green" to me, if that makes sense.

I love cilantro!

Old 05-05-2011, 11:36 PM

38,892 posts, read 22,875,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartygurl View Post
I am one of the few unfortunate people to whom cilantro tastes like soap. I was just wondering what it tastes like to everyone else. I still cook with it but don't use very much mainly putting it in pasta salads and such for color.
Don't feel bad--I don't care for cilantro either. Someone mentioned that it has an anise or licorice taste, and I agree. I'd much rather have parsley as a substitute.

Old 05-06-2011, 07:07 AM

438 posts, read 1,699,587 times
I actually used to HATE cilantro. I used to compare it to soap as well. If I would taste it in something it would ruin a the whole meal for me. But then I had it in a good guacamole dip. And for some strange reason something snapped and I thought it complimented the guacamole really well. So from then on I started to try it on other dishes and now I love it. I do not understand it at all. I seriously despised it before. Now I can chop up a whole handful and put it in my mexican soup that I make or I even put a handful on my burger the other night (again mexican flavors going on). So weird..but I am glad I like it now and can't imagine some dishes without it

Old 05-06-2011, 01:59 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I absolutely love it and to me it tastes like... Cilantro. I think it has a unique taste so I can't really compare it to anything else. I find it very fragrant and flavoursome. I actually use cilantro leaves as a green salad I love it so much !
I too adore cilantro.
It is refreshing and a good accompaniment to many things, from mango salsa to guacamole to all kinds of seafood, including crab cakes.
One of my favorite ways to use it is with hot black bean dip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Never had it. Imagine it tastes like parsley.
I love parsley and don't think it gets enough respect, but cilantro tastes nothing like parsley.
There is also culantro, but to me it is sort of a prickly poor man's cilantro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink