U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 09:48 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,470,111 times

Advertisements

I like family buffets and Chinese super buffets for the variety from time to time, but there are none here with really good food. You can usually find a couple passable dishes though. I used to enjoy HOMETOWN BUFFET, my location had pretty good food, plus unlimited milk, which I love. I don't bother ordering milk in restaurants because one glass is just a tease. My fav buffets are small family run world places, like Thai, Indian or Mongolian BBQ. Food is put out in smaller batches, and is usually pretty good. I like the variety, I dont think I have ever ordered off the menu at Thai or Indian place, I wouldn't want to be limited to a single flavor. I just wish we still had a good Korean buffet here. Also I have never found a really good Mexican buffet, surprising for SA as we have great Mexican food everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 11:45 PM

16,502 posts, read 20,055,588 times
I live in "Buffet City, U.S.A" and I haven't been to one in 3 years now. The temptation is always there, but it never fails, every time I go, I come home sick due to my lack of self-control.

How many times, have I said, living in Las Vegas, I'm only going to do the salad bar this time, and?

I'm so glad I'm an adventurous cook and love to cook. And, strangely enough, when I cook something truly yummy, I may take a small sample of it and I'm done! No more! Roommate, where art thou? Hungry?

Last edited by tijlover; 05-03-2011 at 11:46 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 07-25-2011, 06:01 PM

27 posts, read 31,626 times
Default Buffets

I love eating at buffets. However, whenever I look up restaurant reviews for the buffet I am interested in, I always end up reading things like:

"It was OK for old people's food."

or

"If I wanted old people's food, I would eat at grandmas."

Is buffet food really just for old people anymore? What do young people like to eat? Just pizza?

Old 07-25-2011, 06:02 PM

35,827 posts, read 39,461,204 times
A buffet's no more old people food than a salad bar is. I like choices, and like to build my own meal, so I like both. Only if they're clean, though.

Old 07-25-2011, 06:04 PM

25,631 posts, read 29,167,186 times
Its like anything else. Higher quality buffets provide higher quailty food. The Rio's or Bellagio's buffet in Las Vegas is far superior to anything you can get at Home Town.

Old 07-25-2011, 06:06 PM

3,055 posts, read 3,133,745 times
I love them too. My wife usually does not. I think it's just a matter of choice.

Old 07-25-2011, 06:08 PM

24,511 posts, read 34,182,461 times
I like them too, but a good one can be expensive. My favorite buffet is $42.95 per person. Good thing it's two states away!

Old 07-25-2011, 06:20 PM

27 posts, read 31,626 times
I can remember eating at buffets when I was a small child. I hope they continue to be a viable restaurant model for many more years.

Old 07-26-2011, 01:24 PM

69,405 posts, read 79,618,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Zymers View Post
I love eating at buffets. However, whenever I look up restaurant reviews for the buffet I am interested in, I always end up reading things like:

"It was OK for old people's food."

or

"If I wanted old people's food, I would eat at grandmas."

Is buffet food really just for old people anymore? What do young people like to eat? Just pizza?
No, of course not, buffets are for us hillbillies as well. I am only kidding, We are not huge buffet eaters but we do go once or twice a year. Usually there are lots of families as well as seniors enjoying the variety that a buffet offers. Sure it is pretty often plain old fashion cooking but good once in awhile. Actually I have been to Asians buffets that are patronized more by younger, working people than seniors.

There used to be an awesome one at the Worthington hotel (is that right?) in Fort Worth. ONG, it was a Sunday seafood buffet. Yes, very pricey but worth it. For those in Dallas have you tried Blue Mesa Grill Sunday brunch? Again, one of our favorites but it has been years.
NIta

Old 07-26-2011, 01:29 PM

69,405 posts, read 79,618,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Its like anything else. Higher quality buffets provide higher quailty food. The Rio's or Bellagio's buffet in Las Vegas is far superior to anything you can get at Home Town.
Haven't tried Bellagios but have Rio's. We used to love Circus Circus steak house Sunday buffet. I know it is Circus, Circus, not mosts favorite place, but the buffet was to die for. We haven't even been to Vegas for abotu 5 years. When we lived in Texas, NM and Ca we were there several times a year.

NIta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink