Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 08:54 PM

109 posts, read 231,049 times

Advertisements

Bourdain! Zimmern is the most OBNOXIOUS chewer. *Shivers*

Old 05-16-2011, 09:25 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,998,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
No, I was referring to that snotty, upper crust guy on the telly who eat all of the fru-fru food.

Give me Zimmern any day.....bring on the chili-top-ramen.
Nice to know reverse snobbery is alive and well.

Old 05-17-2011, 04:53 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,626,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Oh really, great for him...............yet....I still hate him because of his snobbery.
I just have to ask , but what snobbery and what upper crust food ? I have seen him eat anything put on a plate in front of him and he seems to get on with pretty much anyone from Nomads to Miners ?

Is it because he cooks French food in his restaurants ( French food by the way is not upper crust food - most French food is provincial , blue collar food , all regional and basically peasant dishes ). Bourdain does not subscribe to "nouvelle cuisine" at all, looking at his restaurants' menu ( which is snobby I will give you that and not very French at all though it was invented there in the 80s ). The guy seems about as down to earth as you can be and obviously loves his nosh, from all quarters and all ethnic variety.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:11 AM

50,370 posts, read 63,964,084 times
One example of a Boudain I enjoyed was when he went to a Russian restaurant in NYC. This was a place run by people used to the Russian way of doing things, which was take it or leave it, wait in line for it, and customer service was unheard of. The service was terrible and slow, and Bourdain was really amusing.

Old 05-17-2011, 02:37 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,121,123 times
I like both shows for different reasons. Both gentlemen are on opposite sides of the culinary world.
Tough decision! I would go with Mr. Zimmern since he does show more outlandish types of meats than Bourdain. Bourdain also goes much more deeper into the culture than Zimmern. Depends on what I'm in the mood at looking at...center of the actual food or the overall atmosphere of a country derived in its food.

Old 05-17-2011, 02:47 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,423,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
I like both shows for different reasons. Both gentlemen are on opposite sides of the culinary world.
Tough decision! I would go with Mr. Zimmern since he does show more outlandish types of meats than Bourdain. Bourdain also goes much more deeper into the culture than Zimmern. Depends on what I'm in the mood at looking at...center of the actual food or the overall atmosphere of a country derived in its food.
Not really, if you watched both shows years ago, Bourdain did what Zimmern did... If you read his books he says I got tired of eating a$$holes..

Old 05-17-2011, 03:03 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,121,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula1 View Post
Not really, if you watched both shows years ago, Bourdain did what Zimmern did... If you read his books he says I got tired of eating a$$holes..
I've been a follower for years on the show level...not on the books though.
My overall feeling continues from my previous post as far the general overall gist of the show.

Old 05-18-2011, 02:16 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,815,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
Great post. I agree with the statements in bold.

Old 05-18-2011, 02:21 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,815,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I just have to ask , but what snobbery and what upper crust food ? I have seen him eat anything put on a plate in front of him and he seems to get on with pretty much anyone from Nomads to Miners ?
Completely agree. He has a personality and is extremely knowledgeable about his food. I also love it that he does not mock other people's cultures or what they eat.

Quote:
most French food is provincial , blue collar food , all regional and basically peasant dishes ).
And most dishes are incredibly delicious nevertheless. Imo the French have a true flair for cooking, plain and simple.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:41 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,775,529 times
Bourdain. I have three of his books, enjoy his blog and frankly I like the f/u attitude he throws that those who do bad things with good food. Disdain for Rachal Ray, Paula Dean, Sandra Lee and whoever else deserves it.

medium Raw is turing out to be a great read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.