U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 09:45 AM

14,135 posts, read 5,460,511 times
Default ~Kraft cheese "singles" slices~

The Kraft "AMERICAN" cheese singles do not melt anymore!

The Kraft "SHARP CHEDDAR" cheese singles melt perfectly.

I waited to do more testing before posting this.
I've always made a darn good grilled cheese sandwich every time.
I always do it the same way, in the same pan. The American cheese slices do not melt anymore! They also taste somewhat gritty.
I made another grilled cheese with it. I browned it thoroughly on one side, flipped it over - cooked it until DARK brown - still not melted. I put the lid on the frying pan (which was on medium-high).
After another minute of frying, the sandwich was BLACK on that side, and guess what? The cheese still wasn't melted! I then put it in the microwave (!) for 33 seconds on the highest setting. Not melted enough.

I use the Sharp Cheddar cheese slices and they melt perfectly and just wonderful!

I also made fried egg sandwiches with cheese and had the same results.

So....I'm just hoping to save somebody from wasting their money on the American slices - buy the "Sharp Cheddar"! It tastes better, too!

Nothing was out of date, they were fresh. No holes in the packing...nothing.

Last edited by rainroosty; 05-13-2011 at 10:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 10:30 AM

19,142 posts, read 11,165,237 times
Thanks. Not that I buy American slices, but good to know info.

Since I tried Tillamook for everyday cheese in the 1990's I haven't looked back. They have a great ColbyJack cheese that melts and tastes like American cheese did when my mom made grilled cheese sandwiches back in the 60's. Plus its all real cheese.

Anywho have a good weekend.-bulldogdad

Old 05-13-2011, 10:49 AM

33,511 posts, read 5,948,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
The Kraft "AMERICAN" cheese singles do not melt anymore!

The Kraft "SHARP CHEDDAR" cheese singles melt perfectly.

I waited to do more testing before posting this.
I've always made a darn good grilled cheese sandwich every time.
I always do it the same way, in the same pan. The American cheese slices do not melt anymore! They also taste somewhat gritty.
I made another grilled cheese with it. I browned it thoroughly on one side, flipped it over - cooked it until DARK brown - still not melted. I put the lid on the frying pan (which was on medium-high).
After another minute of frying, the sandwich was BLACK on that side, and guess what? The cheese still wasn't melted! I then put it in the microwave (!) for 33 seconds on the highest setting. Not melted enough.

I use the Sharp Cheddar cheese slices and they melt perfectly and just wonderful!

I also made fried egg sandwiches with cheese and had the same results.

So....I'm just hoping to save somebody from wasting their money on the American slices - buy the "Sharp Cheddar"! It tastes better, too!

Nothing was out of date, they were fresh. No holes in the packing...nothing.
That's a bummer, rainroosty! I wonder if there's an 800 number on the packaging or an e-mail address on the mfr's web site so you could inquire about it. Very strange, indeed.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:51 AM

8,524 posts, read 3,604,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
Thanks. Not that I buy American slices, but good to know info.

Since I tried Tillamook for everyday cheese in the 1990's I haven't looked back. They have a great ColbyJack cheese that melts and tastes like American cheese did when my mom made grilled cheese sandwiches back in the 60's. Plus its all real cheese.

Anywho have a good weekend.-bulldogdad

bulldogdad ~~ does Tillamook have sliced cheese? It's only in blocks around here. I can slice it if not.

RR ~~ I have noticed that also! I get the deluxe cheese in the blue package now. It's a little more expensive, but yummy.

Velveeta still makes the best grilled cheese for me ~~ had them back in the day!

Old 05-13-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nan5623 View Post
bulldogdad ~~ does Tillamook have sliced cheese? It's only in blocks around here. I can slice it if not.

RR ~~ I have noticed that also! I get the deluxe cheese in the blue package now. It's a little more expensive, but yummy.

Velveeta still makes the best grilled cheese for me ~~ had them back in the day!
Oh heck yes. We get sliced Sharp, Medium, Swiss and Pepper Jack sliced Tillamook cheese at our local Costco. Now we are in California and the Tillamook creamery is in Oregon so the sliced might not be available in your area.

Link for shipping.

Costco Business Delivery - Tillamook Medium Cheddar Cheese Slices 2 lbs=...

Old 05-14-2011, 11:16 AM

4,461 posts, read 3,345,522 times
Ok Ok...got to go and make a Grilled Cheese and using some Tillamook.....that I will slice.
thanks RR...got me goin.

Old 05-14-2011, 11:29 AM

16,362 posts, read 12,962,901 times
Oh, no! Did you get fat-free by mistake? That crap will NOT melt.

Old 05-15-2011, 07:32 AM

14,135 posts, read 5,460,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Oh, no! Did you get fat-free by mistake? That crap will NOT melt.
Tab ~ No! It wasn't the fat-free one! Just regular American Kraft slices!

Old 05-15-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
Tab ~ No! It wasn't the fat-free one! Just regular American Kraft slices!
I have always wondered what idiot came up with FAT FRIGGING FREE CHEESE!!!

LOL

Old 05-15-2011, 10:30 AM

8,039 posts, read 2,315,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
I have always wondered what idiot came up with FAT FRIGGING FREE CHEESE!!!

LOL
Me to that fat free carp tastes like rubber
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink