Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 08:01 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times

Advertisements

When you cook, prepare enough of the main course for two meals, and use the leftovers on another day. Most leftovers can be re-heated with little time or effort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 08:47 AM

7,127 posts, read 12,667,756 times
Lovely, and I did just that--made enough dinner last night for lunch today! Tra la! I'm a happy camper, two meals out of one...and it helps with portion control, too, as we don't devour the whole things at one sitting. Menu for lunch: Stir fried veggies with walnuts and basmati rice, an apple for dessert.

Old 05-16-2011, 11:17 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Thanks, good tips, I will make larger portions and freeze or have next day as leftovers. A couple of times a week for a meal, I do just make a big composed salad with walnuts and such for the protein.

Can't nuke anything, don't have a nuker (don't want one), so it's all stove top or oven or crock pot--and chopping up of vegetables. Lots of chopping. We eat a lot of vegetables.

DH is a keeper don't want to toss him...and in all honesty, sometimes he does make the morning oatmeal and coffee...he mows, does household repairs, I cook, it's our deal, I don't like to mow, and am dangerous with power tools.
So the real question is who does the dishes?

I love walnuts and vegetables too, and almost always purposely cook too much so I can turn one meal into another.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:29 PM

lol, I'll not tell, Little D

Old 05-16-2011, 02:16 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,052,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post

lol, I'll not tell, Little D

Real men mow, cook and do the dishes.

busta

Old 05-16-2011, 02:25 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,630,573 times
I have a healthy diet, and when I occasionally crave Chinese take-out, I usually feel sick afterward. I don't know how in the world someone can eat that twice a day for more than 1 or 2 days without feeling sick as a dog.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:28 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,851,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
How about just skipping a meal or two. My family does this several time a week. Also cook some really large dinners and use the left overs for lunch and breakfast. We do this all the time also. Make a large chunck of meat, cook two chickens etc...... Increase the portions of the sides.

Makes it much easier to just reheat and serve.
Or since it sounds like you are both at home...make you big meal at lunch, save leftovers...light supper....

Old 05-19-2011, 08:45 PM

Yep, moving more in the direction of light supper, larger lunch. "Breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper"--just the opposite of how it was growing up in my household.

Sometimes though, after a small supper, I get hungry right before bedtime. Am trying not to eat carbs then so will have a few walnuts or a small piece of cheese.

Old 05-20-2011, 01:48 AM

2,963 posts, read 5,452,476 times
I do salads with leftover meats. Chicken and ham, of course. Shrimp, too. They're leftovers in the fridge. If there's beef I slice it thin and dress it with the salad. Tear the lettuce, slice cucumbers and tomatoes, add nuts, crumbled cheese, whatever's optional. It's light, quick, you get your vegetables, and your only cleaning is the bowls, utensils, and the cutting board.

Cold dressed noodles are great to have in the fridge too, for quick assembly. Just getting used to eating cold meals is a help. It doesn't have to be piping hot to be homemade. Have tea afterwards for your heat fix.

Old 05-20-2011, 07:29 AM

1,338 posts, read 2,565,813 times
Every time you cook - cook double and freeze half. I always have 6-10 different food options frozen in case something comes up and I don't have time to cook that day or unexpected visitors...

Then for one meal you can take something out of the freezer and heat ( you cooked it so know whats in it ) and then you only need to cook one meal a day. Breakfast - have cereal, fruit, bread with ham and cheese or boiled eggs... all low prep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink