Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 07:30 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,570,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
MMMMMMM... great thread!

Fried catfish, bone in, with cheese grits and cole slaw.

Although, I had shrimp and grits in Charleston a few months ago and it was great...
Oh my my mouth is watering, fish & grits...........I LOVE IT!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 08:12 AM

265 posts, read 662,762 times
Scrolled thru, didn't see it here.....
I like mine, when I do eat grits, with maple syrup!

Old 10-02-2007, 12:21 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,320,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post

Of course, in Chicago it's not easy to run across grits unless you wander into neighborhoods where pasty white guys like me aren't necessarily invited...
As a Southern transplant, I've been delighted to find them at Jewel! Granted, it was Quaker, but they had the real, long-cooking stuff (along with quick grits and instant grits). I actually sometimes cheat and use the quick grits, but the instant grits only in an extreme case. I always bring back some good, stone ground yellow grits when I come back from SC.

My grandfather (Papa) made the very best grits in the world. I don't know what he put in them, and he has passed away since, but my Dad swears he has the recipe. All I know for sure is that he used the good, slow-cook, stone-ground grits. I used to prefer his grits to anything else in the world, and he would fix me big bowls of grits for any meal.

I make a pretty mean shrimp and grits. A little heavy cream a TINY pinch of garlic salt (though you wouldn't notice the garlic flavor. It just adds an edge) and a couple of cheeses in the grits, topped with a sautee of shrimp, sausage (usually andouille), a little ham, and mushrooms, topped with a bit of fresh cut green onion.... serious food. I have other recipes for shrimp and grits, too, but that's my favorite.

My Grandmama always made grits with bacon or sausage and eggs, and like many other southerners, I'd throw in some butter, chop up the meat, and stir it all together. Delicious.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:47 AM

336 posts, read 862,177 times
I like mine with just butter and sugar. Sometimes I will will just go plain and eat them with my eggs with toast...but mostly with butter and sugar because thats how my mom would fix them for us as kids to eat it.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:59 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,169,916 times
Butter, salt, pepper, crumbled bacon and a sunny side up egg, all mixed together!.Yummm!

When I first moved to AK, I couldn't find any non instant ones and had to have family and friends send up a couple boxes.

Old 01-11-2008, 03:24 PM

238 posts, read 821,802 times
Lots of butter and cheese. We eat grits everyday. They are cheap as can be.

Old 01-11-2008, 05:10 PM

690 posts, read 2,623,318 times
I detest grits, which sometimes makes people question my Southerness, but I am a texture person and can't stand the texture of grits. E-W.

I find that most people either like oatmeal or grits, one or the other, but rarely both. My theory is, you're either an Oatmeal Person, or a Grits Person. I, myself, am an Oatmeal Person.

I do admit to meeting a few people who loved or hated both, but overall, the theory holds true in my experience.

Old 08-22-2009, 07:19 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,011,704 times
Default This Yankee just bought grits for the first time...help!

How can I enjoy this product? I am not sure whether we will like them or not but I love what I think is southern cooking....chicken, cornbread, biscuits, gravy, and so on..

Does anyone know how we should first make these grits?

Old 08-22-2009, 07:22 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,863,140 times
Sorry Gypsy, I have no idea, (being an Aussie) but I'm just "pulling up a chair" so I can find this thread later and read all about how it's done myself.

Old 08-22-2009, 07:42 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,011,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Sorry Gypsy, I have no idea, (being an Aussie) but I'm just "pulling up a chair" so I can find this thread later and read all about how it's done myself.
Cheers! If I have Vegemite questions, I'll ask you! Anyhow, I hope some lovely Southern belles will answer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink