Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2019, 04:35 AM

11 posts, read 15,454 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,
I moved to a new house and now I have some free place in my backyard, and I can afford a grill for myself and my family. Insofar as I'm a newbie, and I don't have enough experience and skills I decided to create a new thread and ask you for advice. I've been searching info about grills for a week and I've found some gas grills I like.
Char-Broil, Coleman, Weber. What do you think about them? Have you experienced with them?
My father has elderly Coleman, it's not awesome, but still a quite good grill. I haven't faced other grills and don't know about them much.
I know that Weber has very good smokers, what about grills?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2019, 05:10 AM

19,954 posts, read 29,990,395 times
weber is fine ..

ive got an old cheap char-broil.. 100$ but i'll match my grilling results to just about anyone's (been a butcher for over 35 yrs...have cooked thousands of steaks)

I look at grills like I do golf equipment I can get the newest best of brands....but I can still be a poor golfer ….a good golfer with old equipment will be far better. "its what you do with the equipment"

so...if you are cooking steaks I recommend rib eyes... bone in or boneless cooked medium rare.... next maybe a sirloin strip or t bone or porterhouse or tenderloin...
top 3 beef grades are prime choice and select.. prime being the most marbled and expensive...

you tube is your friend....1000's of grilling videos...

I went to a friends house this summer he had a shiny new 600$ grill and he grilled lean top round steaks his wife bought and he overcooked and they were tough as nails....
worst grilled steaks I ever had...also if you buy super lean burger ...they can be very dry
fat is flavor!!

buy choice grade beef if you cant get prime.. select is ok if they are premium steaks (as named above) and not over-cooked....

if, you have wild game or grass fed/finished steaks....both tend to be very lean....which can be dry and tough … if you grill these and they are chewy its not the grills' fault,

a good weber grill will last a decade...… use a grill cover and spray/wipe grates with oil (vegetable/olive) after use .. the grates are the first to go ..

Old 11-21-2019, 05:29 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,058,041 times
For grilling I love my Weber charcoal grill with the rotisserie and Kettlepizza equipment. For serious BBQ, I have a Big Green Egg and Horizon off-set pit. I only use propane for my jet style burners.

Old 11-21-2019, 06:58 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,081,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GwenRivera View Post
Hi folks,
I moved to a new house and now I have some free place in my backyard, and I can afford a grill for myself and my family. Insofar as I'm a newbie, and I don't have enough experience and skills I decided to create a new thread and ask you for advice. I've been searching info about grills for a week and I've found some gas grills I like.
Char-Broil, Coleman, Weber. What do you think about them? Have you experienced with them?
My father has elderly Coleman, it's not awesome, but still a quite good grill. I haven't faced other grills and don't know about them much.
We have had a few, quite a few in our lives: I think our favorite for daily grilling or regular grilling is still Charcoal, regardless of brand and yes, Weber is outstanding. As for gas grill I don't remember which one we had but spoiled brat, as I call him was not sold on it so we left it for the buyers when we moved almost 12 years ago. We do have an electric smoker that we can use all year even here because it is electric and can be used inside. It is a Weber and seems to do a great job for what we paid for it.

Old 11-21-2019, 08:49 AM

5,341 posts, read 6,479,962 times
I have a Weber Genesis ( gas ) it covers most of my grilling needs
with the rotisserie and smoker box, great choice if you don't have
a lot of time
https://www.weber.com/US/en/grills/gas-grills/

I also have a Char Griller Smoker combo;
https://www.chargriller.com/collecti...harcoal-grill#

Here is a helpful article about smoking
https://chargrillerblog.wordpress.co...e-box-a-guide/

Both units are well over 10yrs old, The Weber was bought new and the Char Griller was
bought in the box at a moving sale.

Good Luck and enjoy the New Adventures !

Old 11-21-2019, 09:53 AM

16,346 posts, read 30,049,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
weber is fine ..

ive got an old cheap char-broil.. 100$ but i'll match my grilling results to just about anyone's (been a butcher for over 35 yrs...have cooked thousands of steaks)

I went to a friends house this summer he had a shiny new 600$ grill and he grilled lean top round steaks his wife bought and he overcooked and they were tough as nails....
worst grilled steaks I ever had...also if you buy super lean burger ...they can be very dry
fat is flavor!!

I would agree with you 100%.

When I lived in Chicagoland, I would get a lot of invites to dinner. If I walked into a kitchen with the finest commercial grade range and the fancy commercial refrigeration units and the like, I knew that there was a 90% chance that most of the food would be from either Costco or Sam's Club.

I think that the OP should buy an inexpensive Weber grill or similar at a yard sale or a thrift shop for $25, clean it up, and experiment with it to see if they really enjoy grilling or not. After playing with that for a couple of grill seasons, buy a really nice one. Most people who buy one of those fancy new grills really do not use it that much. It ranks up there with exercise bikes and treadmills.

Grilling top round steaks ... that is something that you reserve for your in-laws.

Old 11-21-2019, 02:15 PM

4,324 posts, read 4,266,656 times
Sounds like you are wanting a propane grill. Just go to you favorite big box store and get a smallish one with few bells and whistles to start with. They all wear out anyway and you'll learn what you really need/want for the next one as time goes by.

Charcoal (or wood fire) is slow, finicky, and messy (ashes). The smoke gets in your eyes. You burn your fingers. It starts to rain while you are cooking.

So why in the world would anyone cook like that??

FLAVOR!!!! Big bold heaping mouthfuls of flavor.

You can grill a steak or chicken just fine on a gas grill but if you want. It'll taste like you cooked it inside.
Obviously I am biased but do yourself a favor and try charcoal to see for yourself.

Old 11-21-2019, 10:45 PM

11 posts, read 15,454 times
Thank you for the detailed feedback!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I would agree with you 100%.

When I lived in Chicagoland, I would get a lot of invites to dinner. If I walked into a kitchen with the finest commercial grade range and the fancy commercial refrigeration units and the like, I knew that there was a 90% chance that most of the food would be from either Costco or Sam's Club.

I think that the OP should buy an inexpensive Weber grill or similar at a yard sale or a thrift shop for $25, clean it up, and experiment with it to see if they really enjoy grilling or not. After playing with that for a couple of grill seasons, buy a really nice one. Most people who buy one of those fancy new grills really do not use it that much. It ranks up there with exercise bikes and treadmills.

Grilling top round steaks ... that is something that you reserve for your in-laws.
I got your point, and i agree with you. But i really feel enthusiastic about that, so i need good one to make myself like this hobby It won't be first grilling in my life... I made this before, but few times)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
Sounds like you are wanting a propane grill. Just go to you favorite big box store and get a smallish one with few bells and whistles to start with. They all wear out anyway and you'll learn what you really need/want for the next one as time goes by.

Charcoal (or wood fire) is slow, finicky, and messy (ashes). The smoke gets in your eyes. You burn your fingers. It starts to rain while you are cooking.

So why in the world would anyone cook like that??

FLAVOR!!!! Big bold heaping mouthfuls of flavor.

You can grill a steak or chicken just fine on a gas grill but if you want. It'll taste like you cooked it inside.
Obviously I am biased but do yourself a favor and try charcoal to see for yourself.
Yeap, i agree with you too. Charcoal makes more "natural" flavor, that's why i excluded electrical griils out of my list and now i consider only charcoal and gas ones. Gas is more appropriate for this task then electrical, but still not like a charcoal

I've put an eye on Weber products, and i see you guys here praise Weber too. I made a closer look at Performer Premium Charcoal Grill 22'', Weber Q1200 and Weber Genesis II. The last one is too pricey, but i like it

Old 11-21-2019, 10:59 PM

17,877 posts, read 15,719,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GwenRivera View Post
Hi folks,
Best thing is to watch Youtube vids on grilling recipes, and just practice practice practice.

Old 11-21-2019, 11:03 PM

23,262 posts, read 23,621,950 times
We have two Weber charcoal grills and have had them since 2006/2007. They’ve worked so well. Always clean them after every use and keep them covered when they are not being used.
I replace the grill every year or so, and they work flawlessly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink