U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 05-31-2011, 08:41 PM

278 posts, read 136,577 times
Default canned food expired

i just noticed i have several cans of progresso chicken noodle soup which expired on 5 may 2011. are they still edible? i dont want to get sick. but, if i can still eat them i will asap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 05-31-2011, 08:51 PM

37,606 posts, read 31,193,090 times
THEY DO NOT EXPIRE ON THAT DATE.

That is the date on which the processor/seller stops guaranteeing that they still have the same flavor and texture and overall quality as the day they were packed.

They do not "suddenly" become fatally toxic at 12:01 AM EST on that date.

If you had opened them on May 4, and they were gone bad, you could have taken them back to the store for a refund. On May 6 you can't. That is the only thing that date means. The warranty is expired.

Unread 05-31-2011, 09:02 PM
Status: "The mind doesn't work if it's closed!" (set 16 days ago)

18,683 posts, read 17,545,054 times
Gez.... you are not going to be sick! The producer has to set up a expiration date, so you can safely threw out a perfectly good can of soup, go to the store and buy another can. It's good for the business

Unread 05-31-2011, 09:08 PM

105 posts, read 113,341 times
I travel by sea on my boat with hundreds of cans of emergency food. The rule of thumb is even if it is over 2 years expired. Open it up if it isn't bulging and appear about to explode.

If after opening it looks good, smells good, then eat it.

One great way to save a few dollars is look for sections in the market where they are selling off cans about to expire at a discount. After they expire they frequently go to discount stores where you can buy expired cans and live happily and safely eating the same food that others pay twice the price to buy.

I can't tell you how annoyed I was when new crew members aboard my boat when asked to clean out the food lockers thought to look at the labels and toss out provisions.

Unread 06-01-2011, 01:04 AM

278 posts, read 136,577 times
glad to hear this and i learned a lot. thanks folks

Unread 06-01-2011, 01:16 PM

45,761 posts, read 34,290,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradyischamp View Post
i just noticed i have several cans of progresso chicken noodle soup which expired on 5 may 2011. are they still edible? i dont want to get sick. but, if i can still eat them i will asap.
From working in food pantries and food banks I know the guideline is no more than 6 months after expiration. Normally it is best to use within a month.

Nita

Unread 06-01-2011, 02:01 PM
Status: "The mind doesn't work if it's closed!" (set 16 days ago)

18,683 posts, read 17,545,054 times
^^^ that's maybe norm for the food pantries, schools, cafeterias and the whole food business, but at your home you can safely eat canned food way after expiration date. As someone said: open it, look at it and smell it... then taste a little...

Unread 06-01-2011, 02:09 PM

16,593 posts, read 17,118,977 times
A lot of these kind of topics lately.

Unread 06-01-2011, 02:10 PM

29,993 posts, read 17,228,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradyischamp View Post
As long as the cans are not bulging and you heat the soup thorougly you should be fine. Commercially canned goods (with the exception of condensed milk) usually last well beyond the printed expiraton date.

http://grandpappy.info/hshelff.htm

Unread 06-01-2011, 02:35 PM

45,761 posts, read 34,290,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
^^^ that's maybe norm for the food pantries, schools, cafeterias and the whole food business, but at your home you can safely eat canned food way after expiration date. As someone said: open it, look at it and smell it... then taste a little...

oh, I agree, but what I am saying is no, food with a date just a few weeks old is not going to hurt anyone. Of course the food banks, schools,etc have to use a strict guideline. Heck even in home canning: I have relish I canned about 4 years ago and we are still loving it. I think we only have one more jar. I made a lot, but no one uses much here.

Heck growing up we had no clue when something was purchased or how long it was good, like you said, it smelled ok, looked OK we ate it.
Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink