U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 12:32 AM

1,673 posts, read 1,843,685 times

Advertisements

You know, the outside of the yolk turns green. I have an Egg Genie, and it does a good job hard cooking eggs. If I eat them right away, the yolk is just right - never green. But if I store those eggs in the fridge, I get greenies in a day or two. Is this normal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2011, 12:43 AM

33,555 posts, read 51,767,813 times
Yes. The discoloration is due to the formation of ferrous sulfide where the yolk and white meet.

Old 06-04-2011, 12:46 AM

114,037 posts, read 52,362,745 times
It's probably a reaction to oxygen ..oh never mind. They're still in the shell I assume. The Easter eggs have always done this when kept a day or two. Oh good Elnina to the rescue! Sounds familiar ferrous oxide. Like an iron fence where east meets west....

Old 06-04-2011, 12:51 AM

33,555 posts, read 51,767,813 times
Why does the yolk turn green? The green-gray color (and the whiff of sulfur smell that often accompanies it) comes from the reaction of iron in the egg yolk and sulfur in the egg white. When heated, the two can combine to make green-gray ferrous sulfide and hydrogen sulfide gas. To avoid getting a green yolk, cook your eggs just long enough to reach the desired doneness—no more. And quickly plunge the cooked eggs into cold water to stop the cooking process and minimize the iron-sulfur reaction.
Science of Cooking: Do You Know How to Hard Cook an Egg?

Old 06-04-2011, 01:03 AM

Wonder what a bit of vinegar in the water would do? Nah , I think it might dissolve the shells..

Old 06-04-2011, 05:58 AM

4,102 posts, read 4,993,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
Wonder what a bit of vinegar in the water would do? Nah , I think it might dissolve the shells..
I had a book when I was a kid and it had a "formula" for making bouncing eggs using white vinegar..
I just googled it an apparently it's kids science experiment. It does disolve the shell and I guess makes the egg elastic.

Old 06-04-2011, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula1 View Post
I had a book when I was a kid and it had a "formula" for making bouncing eggs using white vinegar..
I just googled it an apparently it's kids science experiment. It does disolve the shell and I guess makes the egg elastic.
Bouncing eggs? Oh really, that's interesting. I must have seen something about vinegar dissolving egg shells. Not sure where. I think you can add vinegar to water for poached eggs... not sure of effects otherwise.

Last edited by SATX56; 06-04-2011 at 04:27 PM..

Old 06-05-2011, 09:41 PM

22,703 posts, read 21,750,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty MacButter View Post
You know, the outside of the yolk turns green. I have an Egg Genie, and it does a good job hard cooking eggs. If I eat them right away, the yolk is just right - never green. But if I store those eggs in the fridge, I get greenies in a day or two. Is this normal?
The gray/green yolk syndrome means that the eggs have been cooked for too long.

Old 06-05-2011, 10:18 PM

13,992 posts, read 10,133,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
Bouncing eggs? Oh really, that's interesting. I must have seen something about vinegar dissolving egg shells. Not sure where. I think you can add vinegar to water for poached eggs... not sure of effects otherwise.
I think it helps keep the egg together instead of falling apart in the water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
The gray/green yolk syndrome means that the eggs have been cooked for too long.
That's what I thought it meant, too.

EDIT: Had to edit my post. I didn't read elnina's post thoroughly enough.

Old 06-05-2011, 10:25 PM

1,673 posts, read 1,843,685 times
Thanks for the replies. Friday night I did a batch of 7 eggs on the Egg Genie. I ate 2 of them soon after cooking. The yolks were a beautiful yellow, inside and out! Tonight I ate two more from of the fridge, and sure enough, they had "green syndrome." So, I'd say my eggs turn green during storage, not cooking. Maybe there's nothing I can do to fix this.

BTW, the Egg Genie is a good little device. It can cook eggs hard, medium or soft -- always easy to peel. It also has a four compartment tray for poaching. I know folks will say that you can boil your eggs stove-top, but I think the Egg Genie is more convenient and gives better results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink