U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 03:15 PM

3,855 posts, read 4,084,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKLO View Post
The texture of chorizo is what turns me away from it....I don't like mushy foods!
You can fry Mx chorizo till well done, then pan saute some diced potatos till slightly browned, then add cooked chorizo and sliced green onion...combune well serve as a side to eggs or in a tortilla.

take the potato filling and fill raw[store bought] pie crust, bake to make spanish empanadas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 04:01 PM

17,868 posts, read 17,070,521 times
man in the end it really doesn't matter what you put chorizo on top of, it's going to make it even more delicious.

I've had it over a juicy grilled steak

I've had it in salad

I've had it in a sammich

I've had it with eggs

Hell, if given the chance, I'd put some in captain crunch! Milk substitute!

Old 06-06-2011, 04:16 PM

19,899 posts, read 15,285,252 times
I'm Italian and italian sasuage is more firm after it is cooked then chorizo. No way for me would i ever ever think of making Italian sauce with Chorizo or lasagne. I prefer italian sasuage for my italian dishes. i prefer that taste for my Italian foods.

But i am a very good cook i can cook anything. I use chorizo when making mexican didshes, omlets, and eggs, I have also put it in casseroles. The consistency is a bit mushy, then italin sasuage is more firm. Many different kinds of italian sasauge depending on where you buy it from. They have more then just fennel seeds in it. We also make a delicious chili using chorizo and beer, it comes out very delicious.

I will stick with my Italian sasuage for my italian dishes, and chorizo for my mexican dishes.

Old 06-06-2011, 05:35 PM

25,631 posts, read 29,103,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I know Chorizo means sausage in Spanish ( I thought it always meant cured sausage like Chorizo being sometimes called salchichón piccante and embutido the generic term for cured sausages) but even in Spain I have never seen the mushy variety.

I think by the sound of it I would prefer the cured one. A good Chorizo is so so delicious. And so versatile too.

What do Americans mean by Italian sausage by the way ? Italy has hundreds of types of sausages, I am a bit confused, and not familiar with the term .

Ive read some of the thing you like to eat. I believe you would have no trouble eating a traditional Mexican chorizo cooked correctly. Most Mexicans use it to flavor and season other dishes as has been mentioned previously in this thread.

Italian is just a way of describing the flavor profile. Each culture has its ubiquitous generic flavor profile when it comes to certain things like sausage, sauces, etc...

But I am like you I just love me smoked and cured sausages not matter what country they come from.

Old 06-18-2011, 03:36 PM

7,068 posts, read 10,818,929 times
Well, I thought I'd report back in...

We had the chorizo in a Spaghetti and sauce meal. The chorizo reminded me of the way the seasoned ground meat tastes when you have those store bought Taco mixes. I enjoyed it!

But, I think I still prefer my hot Italian sausage. Habit, I guess!

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Old 06-18-2011, 11:36 PM

594 posts, read 1,138,406 times
A little side note...
Chorizo really has no mexican spices, or at least the orginal chorizo..
Chorizo comes from Spain, and is common on all latin america.
The main difference between the Italian Sausage and Chorizo is paprika and red peppers.
In Cuba, PR and Spain, is really common to eat it with red wine. "Chorizo al Vino".
Also this is usually the dish you find in tapas, where they serve the chorizo with a wine base sauce..
Now I have tasted mexican chorizo, and is not the same as the original spanish chorizo.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:37 PM

3,276 posts, read 10,368,745 times
I'm mostly familiar with Spanish chorizo, but you could also probably use it in most soups/stews that call for sausage. If you have the cured kind, it's a good variation for anything that calls for kielbasa or andouille.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink