Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 04:17 PM

8,875 posts, read 13,866,449 times

Advertisements

My DW brought home some Johnsonville Chorizo by accident. She thought she had grabbed some Johnsonville Italian Sausage.

I've never had Chorizo before. Can someone tell me how it compares to the Italian Sausage that I'm used to cooking? I usually pan fry the sausage and add it to spaghetti and sauce or sometimes I grill the links and make sausage sandwiches on torpedo rolls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2011, 04:33 PM

114,841 posts, read 65,634,075 times
Chorizo I believe is simply Spanish for sausage. But, chorizo is generally a heavily spiced mush added to eggs for tacos. I think it's sold in link form also. Years ago we used it or had it in breakfast tacos and sort of liked it. Since then I've decided I don't care for it! It's got odd spices in it... goes with refried beans or eggs.

Old 06-04-2011, 04:38 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,972,183 times
Definitely chorizo has more mexican spices and fewer italian spices.

Old 06-04-2011, 04:39 PM

Here's a link of what sort of spices are used I think...

Hi-Country Sabroso Mexican Chorizo Sausage Seasoning (http://www.hicountry.com/spices-ground-sausage-chorizo.html - broken link)

Old 06-04-2011, 04:42 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,298 posts, read 80,559,021 times
I would use it for breakfast in an omelot, sliced thin and fried, it will make for an odd pasta sauce.

Old 06-04-2011, 04:45 PM

4,468 posts, read 7,981,402 times
Not even close...I LOVE it w/eggs. Cook the Chorizo first out of it's casing until its quite well done; then add a couple pre scrambled eggs, cook until eggs are done and have a couple flour tortillas with it and maybe some refried beans and glass of cold beer or milk...my favorite saturday breakfast..
olay..

HW

Old 06-04-2011, 07:31 PM

88,259 posts, read 84,207,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
Chorizo I believe is simply Spanish for sausage. But, chorizo is generally a heavily spiced mush added to eggs for tacos. I think it's sold in link form also. Years ago we used it or had it in breakfast tacos and sort of liked it. Since then I've decided I don't care for it! It's got odd spices in it... goes with refried beans or eggs.
I've never heard of having it with eggs, although that sounds good.

I mostly see chorizo in Spanish or Portuguese restaurants. It's usually an appetizer or on the tapas menu, and it's served sliced very thin. It's usually in paella, too. I also know a little Portugese bar/restaurant that has a chorizo and melted cheese sammitch on a Portguese roll...man, I wish I had one right now.

Old 06-04-2011, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I've never heard of having it with eggs, although that sounds good.

I mostly see chorizo in Spanish or Portuguese restaurants. It's usually an appetizer or on the tapas menu, and it's served sliced very thin. It's usually in paella, too. I also know a little Portugese bar/restaurant that has a chorizo and melted cheese sammitch on a Portguese roll...man, I wish I had one right now.

I was wrong my wife informs me it always comes in a casing. We squeeze it out then pan fry it. Been a while since I've had it and hard to guess at what spices are in it. It's a spiciness that really begs for something bland to cut it's ..... funkiness for lack of a better word. Sort of a texture thing too as far as my dislike of it these days. But, depending on the preparation I'd probably still eat it.

Last edited by SATX56; 06-04-2011 at 08:24 PM.. Reason: Corrections

Old 06-05-2011, 07:18 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,400,925 times
chorizo with onions and eggs and potatos all scrambled together is one of my favorite way to eat eggs!!!!

Old 06-05-2011, 09:25 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,583,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
I was wrong my wife informs me it always comes in a casing. We squeeze it out then pan fry it. Been a while since I've had it and hard to guess at what spices are in it. It's a spiciness that really begs for something bland to cut it's ..... funkiness for lack of a better word. Sort of a texture thing too as far as my dislike of it these days. But, depending on the preparation I'd probably still eat it.

You need to get to a Carniceria and get your self some fresh chorizo. It only comes in a casing in the store. The fresh made by a Mexican butcher is nothing like that crap that comes commercially in the tubes.

Also the Spanish type chorizo is more like a kielbasa as such better for serving as tapas or in a paellla.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink