Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 02:47 AM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times

Advertisements

Missed any meals lately? Someone near you has:
The United States of Hungry | TakePart - News, Culture, Videos and Photos That Make the World Better

but... . US residents are wasting food like never before. Nearly 50 percent of all the food produced in the United States is tossed out.
Visualizer: The Cycle of Food Waste - WSJ.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 07:37 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,284,458 times
Interesting juxtaposition of information. I've worked in food-related industry (a convenience store/deli and McDonald's), and the attitudes toward the unsellable foods were very different.

At the convenience store, we made sandwiches for the cold case, and also to order, as well as slicing meat and cheese as needed. Management made it very clear that we were not to take any sandwiches that were to be thrown out. It was COMPANY PROPERTY, and if we took expired sandwiches instead of throwing them away, it was STEALING, and we'd be prosecuted.

Contrast that with McDonald's. I worked the closing shift, and any leftovers were ours for the taking. If it was going to be thrown out, we could take it home. Their attitude was "why waste food?". It's not like they could sell it the next day, and it was only going to add weight (and stench) to their dumpsters.

The attitudes of the various entities in the WSJ article are quite enlightening. I wonder how we can encourage the use of "seconds" in produce (curved cucumbers? Really?) to help feed people in need.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:07 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
My husband sent me this article yesterday.

National Retail Federation - After Spooky 2009, Halloween Spending Bounces Back to ’08 Levels, According to NRF

Quote:
According to NRF’s 2010 Halloween Consumer Intentions and Actions Survey, conducted by BIGresearch, Americans will spend $66.28 on costumes, candy and decorations, up from last year's $56.31 and comparable to the $66.54 average spend in 2008. Total spending for the holiday is expected to reach $5.8 billion.*
He suggested that we skip the candy and decorations and costumes and give the money to a local shelter instead. Think about what we could do, re-prioritizing $5.8 billion.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:13 AM

509 posts, read 1,167,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Interesting juxtaposition of information. I've worked in food-related industry (a convenience store/deli and McDonald's), and the attitudes toward the unsellable foods were very different.

At the convenience store, we made sandwiches for the cold case, and also to order, as well as slicing meat and cheese as needed. Management made it very clear that we were not to take any sandwiches that were to be thrown out. It was COMPANY PROPERTY, and if we took expired sandwiches instead of throwing them away, it was STEALING, and we'd be prosecuted.

Contrast that with McDonald's. I worked the closing shift, and any leftovers were ours for the taking. If it was going to be thrown out, we could take it home. Their attitude was "why waste food?". It's not like they could sell it the next day, and it was only going to add weight (and stench) to their dumpsters...
Wow, +1 for McDonald's. I say it is a crime to throw away (mostly) perfectly good food.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:37 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post

Contrast that with McDonald's. I worked the closing shift, and any leftovers were ours for the taking. If it was going to be thrown out, we could take it home. Their attitude was "why waste food?". It's not like they could sell it the next day, and it was only going to add weight (and stench) to their dumpsters.

The attitudes of the various entities in the WSJ article are quite enlightening. I wonder how we can encourage the use of "seconds" in produce (curved cucumbers? Really?) to help feed people in need.
New York City can't be the only place that has a program like City Harvest. According to their website, they rescue 83,000 pounds of food a day and distribute it to 600 programs. I read about a similar program in LA a few years ago that rescues food from the parties that the entertainment industry throws.

Do these programs not exist in smaller cities, also?

Our Impact :: Hunger in NYC :: City Harvest - Rescuing Food for New York's Hungry

Old 09-29-2011, 11:57 AM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
"On Dumpster Diving" by Lars Eighner

Old 09-29-2011, 08:10 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,431,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
My husband sent me this article yesterday.

National Retail Federation - After Spooky 2009, Halloween Spending Bounces Back to ’08 Levels, According to NRF

He suggested that we skip the candy and decorations and costumes and give the money to a local shelter instead. Think about what we could do, re-prioritizing $5.8 billion.

I believe giving out candy for Halloween will soon lose popularity all over.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
New York City can't be the only place that has a program like City Harvest. According to their website, they rescue 83,000 pounds of food a day and distribute it to 600 programs. I read about a similar program in LA a few years ago that rescues food from the parties that the entertainment industry throws.

Do these programs not exist in smaller cities, also?

Our Impact :: Hunger in NYC :: City Harvest - Rescuing Food for New York's Hungry
I am sure there are similar programs in cities across the country. Here, there's a woman who gets donated bread from Trader Joe's, and distributes it on Freecycle. Free artisan bread, yum!

Old 09-29-2011, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugepossum View Post
Wow, +1 for McDonald's. I say it is a crime to throw away (mostly) perfectly good food.
I know, who'd think? Most of us made just a bit over minimum wage, so the extra food was welcome. 45 seconds in the microwave, and your cheeseburger could be breakfast.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:55 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Oddly, not everyone can donate the food (i.e. restaurants) because of too much risk and liability. It is a shame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink