U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 09:59 AM

7,762 posts, read 9,326,836 times

Advertisements

Today is my son's birthday, and he has requested that I make shrimp and grits for dinner. I have a recipe that calls for cream sherry, but I don't have any, and can't buy it on Sunday in GA. Will there be a big difference if I use cooking sherry (which I hope I can buy, but don't know for sure)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 10:15 AM

20,712 posts, read 13,504,500 times
There will not be a big difference if you have never made it before so you wont be able to contrast the flavor profiles between the two different Sherry's.

FYI pour that cooking sherry down the drain. YUCK. Skip this meal until you have the cream sherry which is a blend of different sweet varietal wines from around the different wine growing regions of Spain.

Cream Sherry is an actual dessert wine. The good stuff anyway.

Cooking Sherry is just nasty.

Old 06-05-2011, 10:32 AM

17,110 posts, read 12,422,778 times
As a rule of thumb (for cooking with alcohol) don't cook with anything you wouldn't drink - anything labeled "cooking...." isn't any good.

Old 06-05-2011, 11:47 AM

50,017 posts, read 42,368,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
As a rule of thumb (for cooking with alcohol) don't cook with anything you wouldn't drink - anything labeled "cooking...." isn't any good.
I know that is what some say, but I do disagree. I use less expensive liqour and wines for cooking all the same.

I was going to add, you can cook with cream sherry or drinking sherrry but do not try and drink cooking sherry.

Nita

Old 06-05-2011, 11:50 AM

7,762 posts, read 9,326,836 times
Thanks all. I found another recipe that doesn't call for sherry, so rather than make a mess of things, I'll just follow that.

Old 06-05-2011, 12:12 PM

17,110 posts, read 12,422,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I know that is what some say, but I do disagree. I use less expensive liqour and wines for cooking all the same.

I was going to add, you can cook with cream sherry or drinking sherrry but do not try and drink cooking sherry.

Nita
Less expensive is one thing (but then, I'll drink less expensive)...something labeled for "cooking" is another all together.

Old 06-05-2011, 01:08 PM

50,017 posts, read 42,368,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Less expensive is one thing (but then, I'll drink less expensive)...something labeled for "cooking" is another all together.
I still will use cooking sherry regardless but I know what you mean.Actually the cooking sherry is often more expensive than regular run of the mill sherry. Now, I think I am about to start planning my dinner without the sherry, just some brandy and a martini while cooking.

Nita

Old 06-05-2011, 03:08 PM

4,466 posts, read 3,793,644 times
Cooking sherry has SALT ADDED....!

Old 06-05-2011, 03:12 PM

20,712 posts, read 13,504,500 times
The salt and preservatives added to cooking sherry are to kept it from turning to acetic acid which happens over time when wine is exposed to air. There are cooking sherrys that are made in Europe that you can drink but they have no added preservatives like the ones made here in America.

Again if you wont drink it dont cook with it. If you only use a little wine to cook with buy a very inexpensive wine like two buck chuck that is very drinkable but wont break the bank if for some reason you cant finish the bottle in a weeks time.

Which I don't see how you couldn't, but ok.

Old 06-05-2011, 04:21 PM

2,192 posts, read 3,729,466 times
I tried this recipe for shrimp and grits by Paula Deen and it was very good. The only thing I did different was I used yellow stone ground grits instead of quick cook grits.

Shrimp Florentine over Tomato Grits — Pauladeen.com

busta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink