Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 07:09 PM

2,179 posts, read 6,717,616 times

Advertisements

A good pie is something not rolling out of a conveyor belt oven. Either coal fired or traditional stone lined oven. For me, a pizza needs to just have extra cheese and well done. I never understood all the fancy schmancy toppings.

My ex and I used to go get pizza religiously on Friday nights, and we would die laughing when someone (and there is always that one) places an order that goes like...

"Yeah I would like a large pie with pineapple, buffalo chicken, cashews, taco shells, shrimp, a big mac, and beef wellington".

lol I really don't know how some of those pizzas are edible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2007, 09:40 PM

859 posts, read 3,321,965 times
I haven't heard anyone mention white pizza yet...I love white pizza.

For regular toppings I like mushrooms, extra cheese, meatballs, chicken parm

Tomato pie is nice sometimes when I am in that sort of mood

And nothing beats good Sicilian pizza too....I guess I like everything lol

I guess the only thing I don't like is Pizza Hut and other scary establishments. Any local pizza joint I can always find something to be a fan of. I think pizza hut is the worst of the worst as far as chains go...Papa John's is semi-edible in a bind.

Old 09-08-2007, 03:56 AM

106 posts, read 316,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by princesspolamalu View Post
Pizza is my favorite food!!!! What makes a pizza great? What are your favorite pizza toppings? What is the most exotic pizza you have ever tried? Where are the best pizza places in the country or the world for that matter? I have tasted all of the pizza in the city of Pittsburgh and would like to know where the good pie is in the rest of the US.
If you're ever in Monterey California you should visit Gianni's Pizza, 725 Lighthouse Ave. It's just down the street from where I grew up. The most delicious pizza I've tasted...and I've been to Italy as well...

Also, if in Sacramento CA, try Luigi's Pizza, 3800 Stockton Blvd just south of I-50...the sausage is made fresh daily! And watch out when you leave the place, Stockton Blvd is known for its undesireables...(prostitutes)...that is unless you're seeking dessert afterwards...LOL

Old 09-08-2007, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMissSunshine View Post
I haven't heard anyone mention white pizza yet...I love white pizza.

For regular toppings I like mushrooms, extra cheese, meatballs, chicken parm

Tomato pie is nice sometimes when I am in that sort of mood

And nothing beats good Sicilian pizza too....I guess I like everything lol

I guess the only thing I don't like is Pizza Hut and other scary establishments. Any local pizza joint I can always find something to be a fan of. I think pizza hut is the worst of the worst as far as chains go...Papa John's is semi-edible in a bind.
What is white pizza exactly...never heard of it.

Yeah forget the chain establishments....local joints all the way!

Old 09-08-2007, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobokenGuy View Post
A good pie is something not rolling out of a conveyor belt oven. Either coal fired or traditional stone lined oven. For me, a pizza needs to just have extra cheese and well done. I never understood all the fancy schmancy toppings.

My ex and I used to go get pizza religiously on Friday nights, and we would die laughing when someone (and there is always that one) places an order that goes like...

"Yeah I would like a large pie with pineapple, buffalo chicken, cashews, taco shells, shrimp, a big mac, and beef wellington".

lol I really don't know how some of those pizzas are edible.
That's hilarious! Thanks for the share...I agree too except I love a great pepperoni pie!

Old 09-08-2007, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Bimmer View Post
What is white pizza exactly...never heard of it.

Yeah forget the chain establishments....local joints all the way!
White pizza has no red sauce of any kind. It's usually just mozzarella, ricotta, olive oil, garlic and basil. It's really good. Some places will offer broccoli as a topping.

Old 09-08-2007, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMissSunshine View Post
White pizza has no red sauce of any kind. It's usually just mozzarella, ricotta, olive oil, garlic and basil. It's really good. Some places will offer broccoli as a topping.
That does sound pretty good...but I am a big fan of the sauce. Maybe I'll look out for it somewhere and try it though...its worth a shot right?

Old 09-08-2007, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Bimmer View Post
That does sound pretty good...but I am a big fan of the sauce. Maybe I'll look out for it somewhere and try it though...its worth a shot right?
Totally...I say the more new food one can try the better

Old 09-08-2007, 03:01 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
The kind I've made before has just a basic white sauce (milk, butter and flour) with lots of garlic, salt, pepper and dried Italian herbs, shredded chicken and lots of mozzarella cheese with a shaving of fresh Parmesan....but this recipe sounds good too:

White Pizza

Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 10 Minutes Ready In: 30 Minutes
Yields: 4 servings

INGREDIENTS:

1 pound Italian sausage, casings removed
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 cup prepared Alfredo sauce

1 (12 inch) pre-baked pizza crust
1 (8 ounce) package shredded Italian cheese blend

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Crumble the sausage into a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook until evenly browned. Add onion, and cook for a few minutes. Drain excess grease, and stir in the Alfredo sauce. Spoon this mixture over the pre-baked pizza crust. Sprinkle cheese over the top.
3. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven, until the cheese is melted. Allow to cool slightly before cutting to allow the toppings to set.

Old 09-08-2007, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
The kind I've made before has just a basic white sauce (milk, butter and flour) with lots of garlic, salt, pepper and dried Italian herbs, shredded chicken and lots of mozzarella cheese with a shaving of fresh Parmesan....but this recipe sounds good too:

White Pizza

Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 10 Minutes Ready In: 30 Minutes
Yields: 4 servings

INGREDIENTS:

1 pound Italian sausage, casings removed
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 cup prepared Alfredo sauce

1 (12 inch) pre-baked pizza crust
1 (8 ounce) package shredded Italian cheese blend

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Crumble the sausage into a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook until evenly browned. Add onion, and cook for a few minutes. Drain excess grease, and stir in the Alfredo sauce. Spoon this mixture over the pre-baked pizza crust. Sprinkle cheese over the top.
3. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven, until the cheese is melted. Allow to cool slightly before cutting to allow the toppings to set.

Alfredo sauce pizza is good, but alfredo pizza isn't what Italians tradionally consider "white pizza". The alfredo thing is more like a new age topping craze. White pizza is an old school thing and would never have alfredo sauce on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink