Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 08:15 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,112,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
I also agree with the canned fish. If I wanted to eat something that smelled and looked like cat food, I'd eat cat food.

My other "will not eat" foods:

Organs of any kind
Eggs
Most vegetables (easier to list the ones I DO eat which is: lettuce, parsnips, potatoes and though technically a fruit, cucumbers - I'll also eat zucchini though I don't love it)
Bottom feeders/shellfish
Lamb
Anything spicy
wow, you would never survive in my house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 09:04 AM

10,194 posts, read 17,733,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
wow, you would never survive in my house.
Well, there's plenty of food I love, shame if you don't have them.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:30 AM

13,032 posts, read 24,550,400 times
Very sweet sugary things ( treacle, candy floss, most American chocolate/candy bars) including : Indian Sweets ( so sweet I feel as though I am going to be ill eating it)

Raw celery ( I will eat it but it really does not taste good to me - I love it cooked though)

Spinach ( love it raw in salads, hate it cooked and it does not seem to "agree" with me physically when cooked - no idea why)

Lamb- I think I have a mild food intolerance to it but will actually eat it. And even enjoy it sometimes, especially when served very pink as a fillet. Just not great for my stomach.

A lot of deep fried foods and fast foods. Fast food always taste very salty to me and often quite fatty. Still will eat it if I have to. It's just food but no pleasure is derived from it.

A lot of processed foods which tastes chemical to me. Edible but not nice.

A lot of American milk ( which also tastes chemical and fake to me - no idea why).

Marmot- Never ,ever again unless I am starving. Tough, chewy and odd flavour. Lots of gristle.

Rotten shark ( Hakarl an Icelandic delicacy and one of the worst things I have ever eaten) - Never again unless starving.

Rotten pickled Ram's Testicles - Same as above. Very few foods phase me , those two almost made me physically sick which is really rare for me.

Not a big fan of tripe, or tongue, I will eat it but would rather not.

Heart, lungs, unless mushed in something like Haggis which I love.

Fake Mayonnaise ( ie : Hellman's etc... ) . I adore real Mayonnaise and can't stand the fake stuff. It's got to be made with raw egg yolk, dijon mustard and good oil. Pretty much nothing else apart from maybe a quirt of lemon or some herbs and a pinch of salt. Some manufactured Mayo is very good, most is awful.

Okra, Kiwi, Gooseberries, Star-Fruits. Can't see the point of them. Okra has a really slimy consistency and I can't detect any pleasurable flavours in it. Kiwi etc.. just bland and pointless IMO.

Polenta. One of the very few Italian things which does nothing for me. Meh.

Fake "plastic" cheeses. A good cheese is food of the Gods. The stuff which some manufacturers call cheese should have a health warning.

Margarine. Butter is so much better.

Squirty cream. It's not cream.

Squirty custard. It's not custard.

Frozen pizza. A crime against one of the most simple and fabulous dish that can be. And so called Pizza found in most "Italian" restaurants outside of Italy ( or France at a push). I cannot stand the stringy, chewy mess which passes as Mozzarella, the disgusting fatty ingredients like Pepperoni and who ever thought if Pineapple on a Pizza ?!?! Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Canned Asparagus. I love the Fresh stuff , the canned stuff is horrid.

Canned crab. A crime against Crab ( one of my favourite food ever)

Canned Salmon ( see above)

Seafood covered in salty cheesy sauces or smothered in spices. It seems a crime to hide the taste of something as wonderful as seafood.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:11 AM

509 posts, read 1,161,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post

I have never heard of these. Can you explain?

Old 06-13-2011, 10:18 AM

11,865 posts, read 16,942,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugepossum View Post
I lol'd when I read it.

I can't do seafood and just discovered that the idea Thai food makes me queasy.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:18 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,380,398 times
The dried kale chips my girlfriend made at my house yesterday! BLEEEEECH!!!!!

Old 06-13-2011, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugepossum View Post
squirty cream - Google Search

I can't find a photo for the custard but I had it at some friends, it comes in the same kind of cans as squirty cream. Horrid.

It even has a facebookpage as it was discontinued and had some avid followers ( the mind boggles).

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=216522143075 (broken link)

Old 06-13-2011, 10:53 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,112,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Very sweet sugary things ( treacle, candy floss, most American chocolate/candy bars) including : Indian Sweets ( so sweet I feel as though I am going to be ill eating it)

Raw celery ( I will eat it but it really does not taste good to me - I love it cooked though)

Spinach ( love it raw in salads, hate it cooked and it does not seem to "agree" with me physically when cooked - no idea why)

Lamb- I think I have a mild food intolerance to it but will actually eat it. And even enjoy it sometimes, especially when served very pink as a fillet. Just not great for my stomach.

A lot of deep fried foods and fast foods. Fast food always taste very salty to me and often quite fatty. Still will eat it if I have to. It's just food but no pleasure is derived from it.

A lot of processed foods which tastes chemical to me. Edible but not nice.

A lot of American milk ( which also tastes chemical and fake to me - no idea why).

Marmot- Never ,ever again unless I am starving. Tough, chewy and odd flavour. Lots of gristle.

Rotten shark ( Hakarl an Icelandic delicacy and one of the worst things I have ever eaten) - Never again unless starving.

Rotten pickled Ram's Testicles - Same as above. Very few foods phase me , those two almost made me physically sick which is really rare for me.

Not a big fan of tripe, or tongue, I will eat it but would rather not.

Heart, lungs, unless mushed in something like Haggis which I love.

Fake Mayonnaise ( ie : Hellman's etc... ) . I adore real Mayonnaise and can't stand the fake stuff. It's got to be made with raw egg yolk, dijon mustard and good oil. Pretty much nothing else apart from maybe a quirt of lemon or some herbs and a pinch of salt. Some manufactured Mayo is very good, most is awful.

Okra, Kiwi, Gooseberries, Star-Fruits. Can't see the point of them. Okra has a really slimy consistency and I can't detect any pleasurable flavours in it. Kiwi etc.. just bland and pointless IMO.

Polenta. One of the very few Italian things which does nothing for me. Meh.

Fake "plastic" cheeses. A good cheese is food of the Gods. The stuff which some manufacturers call cheese should have a health warning.

Margarine. Butter is so much better.

Frozen pizza. A crime against one of the most simple and fabulous dish that can be. And so called Pizza found in most "Italian" restaurants outside of Italy ( or France at a push). I cannot stand the stringy, chewy mess which passes as Mozzarella, the disgusting fatty ingredients like Pepperoni and who ever thought if Pineapple on a Pizza ?!?! Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Canned Asparagus. I love the Fresh stuff , the canned stuff is horrid.

Canned crab. A crime against Crab ( one of my favourite food ever)

Canned Salmon ( see above)

Seafood covered in salty cheesy sauces or smothered in spices. It seems a crime to hide the taste of something as wonderful as seafood.
canned crab, I totally agree: it has no flavor and should not be allowed to be sold, but we rather like canned salmon. As for canned asparagus, there are no canned veggies except maybe corn and beets that should be consumed by humans.

Nita

Old 06-13-2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
canned crab, I totally agree: it has no flavor and should not be allowed to be sold, but we rather like canned salmon. As for canned asparagus, there are no canned veggies except maybe corn and beets that should be consumed by humans.

Nita
I agree about canned veggies but I think Asparagus has to be the worst.... I have had some good ( Italian) canned tomatoes which were actually quite decent for sauces but you are right. Canning and veggies usually do not mix.

When I buy non fresh veggies I tend to buy them in glass jars ( there are some lovely French brands doing great peas and carrots or lentils , carrots and onions for example) but you can't really beat fresh. The canning process obviously does something to food.

Old 06-13-2011, 11:35 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,380,398 times
Canned tomatoes make a great sauce. Canned beans are also good. Corn is the only other one I would touch, and not very often. I grew up on fresh and frozen, but I don't even really like frozen veg unless it's cooked into a soup first.

I promise nobody has topped yesterday's kale chips for awfulness yet except Moosie with her description of marmot and rotten shark. That kale looked so good fresh and raw too. We should have stir-fried it w/ oyster sauce!

Other blechy foods are oysters and tongue. I don't like the textures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink