U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 01:57 PM

5,574 posts, read 5,429,842 times

Advertisements

The quality is okay, but my biggest "beef" with Omaha Steaks (pun intended) is that once you order anything, you wind up on their mailing list. At one point I was getting 2-3 mailers a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 02:46 PM

12,448 posts, read 9,870,453 times
Personally, I like the offerings at the DeBragga site...

DeBragga

Old 04-20-2015, 02:49 PM

950 posts, read 655,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
Check and see if you have any local farmers that sell beef. We have a few in the Nashville area that have an on farm butcher shop. It is more expensive than costco but cheaper than Omaha steaks.

I'm lucky; I let a guy cut the hay off my property and he gives me 1/2 a cow butchered every year. It's the good stuff - grass fed. The local farm butcher shop sells grass fed beef as well.
."it's the good stuff ".....

cow is to beef what sow is to pork

Both are older female animals who have had off springs and the cuts are quite tough.

He should have given you a steer or heifer as those are the cattle that get made into beef cuts and are displayed in the show case.

terminology makes a huge difference

Old 04-20-2015, 04:00 PM

16,956 posts, read 21,781,216 times
my grandmother use to buy Omaha steaks for new years eve... it was something special,,,even us kids got fillets.

they were very good

but today , Omaha steaks are wayyyy too expensive to me...

im a butcher and Omaha is choice beef, that ive seen,,,an I can get that for much cheaper, in fact, I can buy prime beef cheaper than Omaha's choice (the grades go prime, choice, select)

id choose Omaha over cow beef anyday,,,
and ive cut up 100's of local critters

Old 04-20-2015, 04:59 PM

32,838 posts, read 50,618,319 times
My neighbor order from Omaha steaks, and I saw her orders several times, but I was not impressed.
Quality is ok, but I don't care for frozen meat. Very expensive too.
I rather get fresh meat, from the butcher, my choice of cuts, and much cheaper.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:03 PM

7,742 posts, read 5,686,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
The quality is okay, but my biggest "beef" with Omaha Steaks (pun intended) is that once you order anything, you wind up on their mailing list. At one point I was getting 2-3 mailers a week.
This.. And they call incessantly as well. Though, they are pretty good at obeying if you tell them to step off and not call back. But, if you order, they'll call you once a week. I regretted getting this as a Christmas present for my dad, because they called both of us constantly wanting another order.

I've been wanting for the longest time to order through Live Lobster, Steak & Seafood Dinners Delivered to You | Lobster Gram and have it sent to my dad and stepmother.. Simply because she would freak the hell out opening a box and a live lobster be in it. I haven't done it yet because I'd have to tell him so that he could setup the video cameras to record her reaction.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:11 PM

22,078 posts, read 21,122,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VJDAY81445 View Post
."it's the good stuff ".....

cow is to beef what sow is to pork

Both are older female animals who have had off springs and the cuts are quite tough.

He should have given you a steer or heifer as those are the cattle that get made into beef cuts and are displayed in the show case.

terminology makes a huge difference
It is, but he didn't go into particulars. My parents used to buy half a "cow" years ago. I don't know what they bought, but the steaks were very good.

Years ago, I was tempter to place an order an order with Omaha Steaks when I lived in an area where I couldn't find a butcher and the meat in the supermarket was nothing special. I resisted the urge because they seemed rather expensive to me.

Old 04-21-2015, 01:06 PM

4,429 posts, read 2,104,272 times
Omaha Steaks are like the Monster Cables of steaks... overrated, overhyped, way more of the cost of your steak is going into marketing than product.

Most people near larger cities have a place where they can get prime cuts, this will be better than Omaha Steaks for similar or lower price.

There is an interesting video by Alton Brown on dry aging in the fridge then going high heat broil like a steak house:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4aI_O8kcN8

Old 04-21-2015, 01:46 PM

7,672 posts, read 9,135,125 times
We have a store here and not impressed at all. We used a grand opening coupon deal and we ended up giving it to our dog. She liked it well enough.

I prefer the local butchers or stores that carries local meat/poultry etc. Prices were much better than Omaha.

Old 04-21-2015, 02:08 PM

2,807 posts, read 1,690,558 times
Thanks for the input, peeps. I was sorta suspicious of it myself, but I received something in the mail about a sampler pack that actually seemed like a really good deal. You got filet mignon, sirlons, chicken breasts, hamburgers, hot dogs, twice-baked potatoes, etc. for like $60. Seemed worth a try, but I'll just keep getting my meat from the grocery store or meat market, I suppose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink