Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 07:00 PM

278 posts, read 550,095 times

Advertisements

I havent bought anything from them in like 10 years but i got a tempting offer from them in the mail today.

4 (5oz.) Filet Mignons
4 (5oz.) Top Sirloins
4 (4oz.) Boneless Pork Chops
2 (4 1/2oz.) Stuffed Sole with Scallops & Crabmeat
10 (4oz.) Omaha Steaks Burgers
4 (3oz.) Gourmet Franks
8 Potatoes au Gratin
6 Piece Cutlery Set with Cutting Board

all for $60

I dont remember if i liked their products but for the price sounds like a good deal, or is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 07:16 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,763,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradyischamp View Post
I havent bought anything from them in like 10 years but i got a tempting offer from them in the mail today.

4 (5oz.) Filet Mignons
4 (5oz.) Top Sirloins
4 (3oz.) Gourmet Franks
8 Potatoes au Gratin

all for $60

I dont remember if i liked their products but for the price sounds like a good deal, or is it?
The stuffed sole is HORRIBLE. It smells like ammonia, and doesn't cook evenly. My mom used to send me these packages and I had the same trouble with the sole each time.
The cutlery *sucks* - it isn't sharp, and once you sharpen it, it'll stay sharp that one cutting, and be dull again the next cutting.
The potatoes are too salty; their twice-baked are even more salty, but tastier.
I've never had the franks but since they call them franks, and not hot-dogs, they're probably crap (there's actually criteria for this kind of stuff, go figure).

The other meat products are AWESOME. I absolutely love their filet mignon, and their burgers always grill up perfectly, juicy but not loaded with grease. The pork loins if I remember right, cooked great, and the sirloin was tender and flavorful.

One thing they happen to be very good about, is product replacement if you're not satisfied. What you could do - is go ahead and order it. If it comes in and you try the fish and it sucks as badly as my experience says it sucks, you can give them a call and complain. Tell them you don't want a refund, because you really do like their meat, but were completely dissatisfied with the fish. And ask if they would send you a few burgers to replace the fish since you had to throw them away. You can do the same with the potatoes if you're not satisfied, see if they'll let you exchange them for a half dozen twice-baked, or even their caramel apple puff dessert things instead of potato (nuke'em for 30 seconds, they're out of this world delish).

Whatever you do, do NOT let them send you a chocolate cake. Slice that thing sideways and you can use the slices as frisbees.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:48 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,258,017 times
Quote:

4 (5oz.) Filet Mignons
4 (5oz.) Top Sirloins
4 (3oz.) Gourmet Franks
8 Potatoes au Gratin

all for $60

We bought the deal for about $20 as we had a gift certificate. It was about as bad a deal as you will come across. The meat is really of the poorest quality around.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:51 PM

61,632 posts, read 86,981,866 times
Nope, not a good deal.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:16 PM

38,859 posts, read 22,845,735 times
One thing about Omaha Steaks is that they can be quite persistent in their sales efforts, if you happen to get on their mailing list. I remembered getting a bunch of junk mail and sales calls from them back in the mid-90s after I visited a friend in Omaha for vacation. When I was at the airport for my trip back home, I stopped by an Omaha Steaks kiosk and bought a box of ribeye steaks. My mistake was filling out an information card that the girl working the kiosk gave me. I probably should have given bogus information.

The steaks were very good, though. After months of ignoring their junk mailings and sales calls, I stopped hearing from them.

Old 06-18-2011, 09:20 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
Quote:

4 (5oz.) Filet Mignons
4 (5oz.) Top Sirloins
4 (3oz.) Gourmet Franks
8 Potatoes au Gratin

all for $60

We did the same thing: we wanted to add a little to the freezer and saw the same promo: they wanted us back as well. Now, do the math: That comes to about $6.50 a lb for the meat, the filets might be 4 oz, but they are about 1/2 in thick at the most: same with the top sirloins. the stuffed sole (which is 4.5 oz) includes the bread stuffing. I ended up adding a 4 oz piece of salmon to them and we still barely had any meat. The sole probably isn't more than an ounce or so. The best part: the steak knives look like qualtiy so you will be happy with them and the burgers actually are really good, even though one barely covers a small bun after grilling.

Now, go, take them up on their offer and see how many times they email you, call you or send you more GREAT deals. I guess they just want to say thank you for your business. You can say, we were not impressed. We remmembered why we had stopped using them in the past.

Nita

Old 06-18-2011, 11:39 AM

4,468 posts, read 7,999,321 times
Safway and other stores have specials that are much better.

Old 06-18-2011, 12:08 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,310,567 times
I like the Omaha Steaks products. I particularly like the stuffed sole.

I buy from them on a regular basis. The one thing I am not personally familiar with is their steaks. My brother-in-law and sister love their steaks and hamburger meat. My BIL loves to grill.

I prefer the chicken and seafood. I rarely eat steak but I like their franks. They are juicy and don't "cook down" like other brands do.

Their customer service is great. I have never had a problem with their products or customer service.

I think it's a good deal.

Old 06-18-2011, 02:45 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,054,460 times
I've ordered them as gifts my parents and farther in law they seem to enjoy them. I did get put on the junk mail and sales call list, but one day picked up the call and asked to please be taken off the list and she was very pleasant and I haven't heard from them since.

Old 06-18-2011, 03:08 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,344,416 times
Or you could spend the same amount of money, at the store, pick out your own fresh meat, you don't need the knives, or cutting board anyway--unless you regift them to someone for Christmas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink