U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 11:16 AM

20,555 posts, read 24,852,752 times

Advertisements

I like ribs slow cooked and the temperature in the oven is easier to regulate.

So, dry rub, wrap tightly in foil and bake at a low temperature for a couple of hours.

Then onto the grill to smoke and burn on the BBQ sauce. Nobody has ever complained about my BBQ ribs.

The drippings inside the foil are saved and used for something additional. Skim most of the fat off and the rest is excellent when added to a pot of baked beans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2013, 12:33 PM

2 posts, read 9,023 times
Well, I used my planned method and the ribs came out very well with respect to texture of the meat. It was a rainy day so I cooked them in the oven. Next time I will remove the silverskin for ease of flavor penetration. The bbq sauce left something to be desired. It was a Giant Eagle sauce and the sample I tried in the store was very good. Next time I will add a bit of "fire" to it. The current Williams Sonoma catalog had some suggestions.

Old 05-11-2013, 03:27 PM

12,448 posts, read 9,863,552 times
I use an Oklahoma Joe 1/4" steel (not the flimsy stuff) offset cooker.
I start by trimming spare ribs to St Louis style cut,
then I dry-rub the ribs,
cook at 250 degrees for two hours,
spritz with apple juice,
cook for additional hour,
apply mop sauce to ribs,
cover with foil for those who want falling-off-the-bone ribs,
apply mop sauce after thirty minutes if not foil-covered,
cook additional hour,
remove if foil-covered
cook thirty minutes to one hour more, if not foil-covered.
Let rest 30 minutes, cut double-bone servings and serve.

Old 05-11-2013, 07:05 PM

3,653 posts, read 7,172,245 times
I slow bake them the day before I grill them. When they cool and set up overnight they taste much better, I grill them slowly to warm, then slightly char the bbq sauce, YUM!

Old 07-12-2013, 09:52 AM

1 posts, read 1,576 times
I only have access to an outside, commercial grill. I have to cook 3 cases of baby back ribs for 80+ people. Having used this grill before, it gets extremely hot and I'm worried that I will over-bake them if I use the foil method. Would you recommend pre-boiling them in this instance? They are for tomorrow...I'm thinking if i parboil them today, wrap and refrigerate, I will have an easier time by just throwing them on the grill tomorrow and sauce them...Will this work?

Old 07-12-2013, 01:13 PM

4,470 posts, read 6,547,447 times
Just got some boneless beef ribs..I will marinate and cook in over for 15 mins and finish
on the grill.

Happy trails.

Old 06-01-2015, 02:41 PM

1 posts, read 932 times
I cooked ribs in oven and plan on putting on the grill , how long can I wait after there done cooking in oven to put on grill?

Old 06-01-2015, 03:00 PM

2,200 posts, read 1,400,744 times
Boiling just washes all the flavor away...

Old 06-01-2015, 03:03 PM

2,569 posts, read 1,765,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torin View Post
I only have access to an outside, commercial grill. I have to cook 3 cases of baby back ribs for 80+ people. Having used this grill before, it gets extremely hot and I'm worried that I will over-bake them if I use the foil method. Would you recommend pre-boiling them in this instance? They are for tomorrow...I'm thinking if i parboil them today, wrap and refrigerate, I will have an easier time by just throwing them on the grill tomorrow and sauce them...Will this work?
These cooking times are for pork ribs. I would go longer for beef ribs.

I never submerge in liquid. If you cook them covered in foil that will effectively "steam" them which IMO is the preferred method. The ribs release a lot of liquid which does the steaming for you.. I don't see a need to add more liquid although some people will add some flavor enhancer. I do apply a rub before I wrap them in foil. That will impart the flavor of the rub more effectively. For baby backs I do 90 minutes at 250, Spare ribs 2 hrs at 250 or 90 minutes at 300. Covered in foil of course. What you are trying to us break down the connective tissue and the spare ribs have a lot more of that. You can then place them on the grill. You can optionally slice the ribs before placing on the grill to expose more of the surface. It's up to you. I sometimes add more dry rub at this point. If the grill is very hot you need to watch them more carefully. 20 min before they are ready they can be basted with sauce if so desired.

Old 06-01-2015, 03:15 PM

7,672 posts, read 9,130,167 times
Preferably, I seal them in foil at first on indirect heat and grill it till done. If I am smoking them, I smoke them first and then seal them till done.

If I am in a hurry, I will seal them in the foil and place in oven till just done and then grill them off.

Regardless of how I cook them, NO SAUCE. I just use dry rub. I have sauce in the fridge for those that want it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink