U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-18-2011, 01:04 PM

310 posts, read 384,963 times

Advertisements

I've heard that some folks pre-boil ribs before putting them on the grill and others pre-bake them. Is one preferable to the other?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 04:10 PM

8,270 posts, read 6,092,479 times
I've boiled when in a hurry a couple times, but almost always prebake. In fact Kroger currently has baby back on sale for $1.97/lb, I just made some today and am stuffed.

I generally do:

1. Night before, cut slab in half, peel off film on lean side, apply rub, seal in plastic wrap (rub depends on style)

2. Morning put in two foil packets with 1/4 cup liquid each (vinegar/pepper based for Carolina style, beer if Memphis style)

3. Bake 200 degrees for four hours, house smells really good

4. Finish on grill, using fat/liquid from foil as baste since will flare for crisp

You could probably do similar for KC or Texas ribs by basting with thicker sauce, not sure thick bbq sauce ain't my thing.

Old 06-18-2011, 04:11 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,156,239 times
First I make up my own dry rub put it on both sides of ribs... thick Roll the ribs back up (slab) put into 2 ziploc bags & still set the bag of rolled up ribs in pan. I tenderize the ribs at least 18-24 hours. I turn the back over about every 3 hours or so.
THEN.................to answer UR ?....

Have done both, but prefer slow baking them in oven a few hours on 225 a couple hours, check them.*. Then put on the grill. Hubby likes his BBQ sauce grilled hard & sticky.

When we aren't grilling I still bake the ribs in oven 225* Check them . I leave in longer on 350* depending on doneness. Then I add BBQ sauce & let it cook on ribs until they are sticky.

Either way they come out great. Fall off the bone tenderness.

Old 06-18-2011, 06:33 PM

9,407 posts, read 11,604,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
I've heard that some folks pre-boil ribs before putting them on the grill and others pre-bake them. Is one preferable to the other?
Do not boil them. It takes a lot of the flavor out of the ribs.

Old 06-18-2011, 09:44 PM

8,634 posts, read 12,308,487 times
Boiling and steaming is cheating and doesn't work. But, without a low temperature smoker, though, you cannot make really good ribs just on the grill. It takes a long time at a low temperature and it is just too challenging to maintain 200F for four to six hours.

So you need to roast them a bit before they go on the grill. Do it in the oven, uncovered, at a low temperature and baste them a little. An hour or two, min.

No barbeque sauce until they are done and off the grill although you can put the covered ribs back on for a few minutes to heat the sauce up. Mostly burned sauce and undercooking is what ruins the ribs.

PS, if you want to cheat, boil the ribs with cut up onions 30 minutes. Brush on brewed soy sauce and grill for 20 minutes on charcoal, covered. Add sauce and put back on the grill for 5 minutes.

Old 06-18-2011, 10:25 PM

8,270 posts, read 6,092,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
So you need to roast them a bit before they go on the grill. Do it in the oven, uncovered, at a low temperature and baste them a little. An hour or two, min.
I know everyone has their own tastes, but I strongly disagree with the "uncovered" and "baste" part of this recommendation.

I've experimented with dozens of ways to cook ribs and have always come out with far more tender when I seal them in foil during the pre-grill baking. If you seal you don't have a need for basting either since they aren't going to dry out while braising in your liquid. You are fighting an unnecessary battle against drying out by not covering.

200 degrees, four hours, sealed in foil with a bit of liquid. Try it man, way to go.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:12 AM

3,135 posts, read 2,413,057 times
I'm making some right now, I put a dry rub on last night.
I cover the pan tightly with foil no liquid on 225 for 3 hours.
Drain off any liquid that does come off, cool and grill later.

Maybe i'll try the 200 degrees and an hour longer next time.

Do you take off the silverskin? I do, but for some is it a prefrence?

Last edited by Caligula1; 06-19-2011 at 09:21 AM..

Old 06-19-2011, 09:14 AM

8,634 posts, read 12,308,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
I know everyone has their own tastes, but I strongly disagree with the "uncovered" and "baste" part of this recommendation.

I've experimented with dozens of ways to cook ribs and have always come out with far more tender when I seal them in foil during the pre-grill baking. If you seal you don't have a need for basting either since they aren't going to dry out while braising in your liquid. You are fighting an unnecessary battle against drying out by not covering.

200 degrees, four hours, sealed in foil with a bit of liquid. Try it man, way to go.

As long as it not steaming them in foil, I'd be ok with it.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:23 AM

21,168 posts, read 19,077,155 times
Thanks for the tips. I will be barbecuing some ribs on a Weber later this week, and I think I will roast them first. Our old gas grill finally gave out, and I am not skilled with the BBQ yet. I think if the ribs are precooked a bit, the margin for error on the BBQ will be less.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:30 AM

21,168 posts, read 19,077,155 times
Also, about the silverskin (that's the thin skin on the bottom, right?) ... I kind of enjoy ripping it off with my teeth. Rawr!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink