U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 03:12 AM

9,934 posts, read 4,735,381 times
OK........anyone here besides me remember when refridgerators used to have a seperate little compartment inside, in the door, "butter keepers", with a seperate temperature control dial......made specifically to keep your "stick" butter just right?

When I was in high school, my Mom and I went shopping for a new fridge.....no more butter keepers.......so my Mom never did buy a new fridge.

That old fridge is in my brother's basement rec room to this day. 58 yrs. old and still keeping pop and beer nice and cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 03:53 AM
Status: "back to being a 3 dog household" (set 23 days ago)

2,517 posts, read 2,061,095 times
I recently discovered a butter bell that keeps it cool but not hard.

L. Tremain | How it Works!

Old 06-27-2011, 04:55 AM
Status: "Give just a little of yourself to others." (set 13 days ago)

48,947 posts, read 40,358,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
OK........anyone here besides me remember when refridgerators used to have a seperate little compartment inside, in the door, "butter keepers", with a seperate temperature control dial......made specifically to keep your "stick" butter just right?

When I was in high school, my Mom and I went shopping for a new fridge.....no more butter keepers.......so my Mom never did buy a new fridge.

That old fridge is in my brother's basement rec room to this day. 58 yrs. old and still keeping pop and beer nice and cold.
wow, what a story, I do remember them, but I don't think they worked all tha well. Still the story is amazing.

Nita

Old 06-27-2011, 08:46 AM
Gue

24,120 posts, read 5,693,379 times
I love your tips!

Thanks elnina!

Old 06-27-2011, 09:00 AM

9,934 posts, read 4,735,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
wow, what a story, I do remember them, but I don't think they worked all tha well. Still the story is amazing.

Nita
Maybe we were lucky........but ours worked great.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:05 AM

33,963 posts, read 6,527,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Butter cold and hard? - grate it!

When you're buttering your bread, pastries, or whatever, it's kind of a pain when the butter's been sitting in the fridge and turning into a brick. Rather than waiting endlessly for the butter to soften, you can quickly solve the problem with a cheese grater.
The same idea works with a cheese cutter or vegetable peeler.
Happy spreading!
"Grate" idea, elnina!

Old 06-27-2011, 09:07 AM

33,963 posts, read 6,527,395 times
Quote:

Omigosh, I had forgotten about those. We had a fridge with a little compartment where Mom kept butter and cream cheese. It was one of those old fridges with the coils on the top. When we got a newer fridge for the kitchen, that one was moved downstairs and for decades kept beer and pop cold. Great memory, Annie!

Old 06-27-2011, 09:43 AM
Status: "Give just a little of yourself to others." (set 13 days ago)

48,947 posts, read 40,358,964 times
Quote:
Maybe we were lucky........but ours worked great.
They may have, I don't remember, but I do know we had one. Of course mom and dad didn't use real butter either, they used margarine. Not me, give me the real thing, thank you!!!

Nita

Old 06-28-2011, 10:29 AM

1,053 posts, read 2,633,179 times
Great food tip Elina, thanks!

I'll be giving it a whirl also.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:19 PM

11,294 posts, read 16,033,695 times
I leave a stick out on the counter and store the rest in the fridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink