U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 04:52 AM

33,134 posts, read 39,078,504 times

Advertisements

My new diet calls for more eggs, however i'm having trouble cooking/shelling a hard boiled egg
Put eggs in saucepan and boil for 3-4 minutes, then run them under cold water for a few minutes to make shelling them easier however when i try to peel the shell the white part of the egg is stuck to the shell and by the time i've got the shell off the egg is a mess of bits and pieces
Is it the eggs i buy from the supermarket? is it my cooking technique?
Never though boiling an egg would be an issue..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 06:49 AM

10,892 posts, read 13,010,885 times
3-4 minutes? no, no, no.

I usually let them cook for over 10 minutes then forget about them til the water boils off and catches the stove on fire.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:52 AM

11,892 posts, read 14,359,727 times
Then spin it to make sure it is hard boiled. Only hard boiled eggs will spin.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:56 AM

14,648 posts, read 29,692,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
3-4 minutes? no, no, no.

I usually let them cook for over 10 minutes then forget about them til the water boils off and catches the stove on fire.
Kind of what my hubby does. ^^

Seriously, he lets them boil on high for several minutes, then lets them simmer for quite a while longer. After what seems like a pretty long time he rinses them under the cold water. He says this works real well. If you don't cook long enough you won't be able to peel them.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:59 AM

2,788 posts, read 4,237,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
My new diet calls for more eggs, however i'm having trouble cooking/shelling a hard boiled egg
Put eggs in saucepan and boil for 3-4 minutes, then run them under cold water for a few minutes to make shelling them easier however when i try to peel the shell the white part of the egg is stuck to the shell and by the time i've got the shell off the egg is a mess of bits and pieces

When they are boiling add salt to the water..that helps them peel easier..Eggs spin with the heavy top on bottom..when they are done..

Old 06-21-2011, 07:11 AM

8,309 posts, read 33,329,150 times
I put the eggs in a saucepan of water from the tap, place everything on the stove and bring to a boil, then let it cook for about 7 minutes over medium to medium-high heat, kill the heat, discard the water and let the eggs cool in air or in cold water (if you like softer yolks). I usually salt the water, but not always. I think the trick is to crack the eggshell all the way around the "waist" circumference, then make sure you get under the membrane that separates the white from the shell with the first pick.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:32 AM

6,400 posts, read 6,499,594 times
We do our hard-boiled eggs one of two ways. My way is to put them in the electric kettle, turn it on, and when the kettle shuts off (it boils for one minute before shutoff) I set the timer for 15 minutes. Then I cool them, peel & eat.

My husband puts the eggs in a saucepan of cold water, brings to a boil and lets boil for 5 minutes, set for 5 minutes off the heat, and then cools them for us to peel & eat.

Both ways work equally well. We don't salt the water.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:42 AM

4,179 posts, read 9,115,151 times
I put the eggs in water with salt - I was always told the salt will restrict the egg whites from sneaking out of potential cracks/pinholes in the shell. Then I bring the water to a boil, immediately remove the pot from the heat, cover tightly, and let sit for 10 minutes or longer. Then, when rinsing the eggs in cold water, I shake the pot so that the eggshells crack. The cold water gets in under the shells and makes them easier to peel. And I NEVER start a peel from the middle, only the end (either one works, but I do the little one first).

Older eggs will have a problem with shell removal, it also has a lot to do with what the chicken ate as to how thick or thin your shells are. Since I've been raising my own chickens, they get oystershells mixed in to their feed once a week - it makes the shells thicker and easier to remove. You can't control that with store-bought eggs, of course. The fresher the egg, the easier the peel, though.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:02 AM

69,275 posts, read 79,447,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
wow, here is how we do them and it seems to always work: bring to a boil, let sit for about 5 minutes, then remove from heat and still let sit for about 10 minutes in the water, you can let them sit as long as you want actually. What you are doing is more what we used to call 3 minute, soft boiled eggs, totally different.'

Nita

Old 06-21-2011, 10:00 AM

33,134 posts, read 39,078,504 times
Thanks..
I'll try boiling them longer and shelling from the top as i usually start in the middle..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink