Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 11:35 AM

3,485 posts, read 7,308,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-boy-80 View Post
It was not frozen for 20 days.
Yea but any type of freezing will probably kill a percentage of whatever is in it - whereas 20 days will kill 100%... so your chances are even lower no matter what!

Old 06-24-2011, 01:45 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,445,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
That is a perfectly fine disclaimer, DISREGARD THE HYSTERICAL DRAMA QUEEN IN THE PURPLE TEXT FOLKS!

From your own link:

"Infection was once very common and usually caused by ingestion of undercooked pork. However, infection is now relatively rare. During 1997-2001, an average of 12 cases per year were reported. The number of cases has decreased because of legislation prohibiting the feeding of raw-meat garbage to hogs, commercial and home freezing of pork, and the public awareness of the danger of eating raw or undercooked pork products. Cases are less commonly associated with pork products and more often associated with eating raw or undercooked wild game meats."

You are suggesting people worry about something that infects a dozen people per year out of the hundreds of millions of servings of pork that occur. Most will probably win the lottery first, or get struck by lightning, or play in the NBA. Either way, you might as well recommend people stop driving, their risk is far greater there.
Re-read my post and stop spreading your drama! I said even though the risks are low why chance it? It does not require much effort to cook pork longer...I prefer that then to chance getting parasites.

Old 06-24-2011, 01:48 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty
I prefer all of my pork medium-rare. There's absolutely no risk with it.

TVC15:
That's a bad disclaimer. Don't believe it folks!
CDC - Trichinellosis

The risk may be lower today but the risk is still there. Why risk it?

Well, you don't have to believe it, TVC15, but most people already know it for theirselves anyway - besides, who would people believe: The Center of Disease Control or rainroosty?

transmission......transition.......transmission... .....transition.......
Sure the CDC does not know what it is talking about...OK

I know what I'm taking about and pork is a nasty creature...I personally would not chance it nor encourage it...there are much better meats out there to choose from...why eat under cooked nasty pork IMO.

I personally have zero faith in the meat packing industry and really don't trust them. Times are tough all over right now and when times are tough usually companies tighten the belt and quality is compromised. I don't eat pork personally since it is such a nasty animal.

Maybe you will like Wiki better

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichinella_spiralis

Old 06-24-2011, 02:12 PM

16,904 posts, read 16,120,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post

I know what I'm taking about and pork is a nasty creature...I personally would not chance it nor encourage it...there are much better meats out there to choose from...why eat under cooked nasty pork IMO.

I personally have zero faith in the meat packing industry and really don't trust them. Times are tough all over right now and when times are tough usually companies tighten the belt and quality is compromised. I don't eat pork personally since it is such a nasty animal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichinella_spiralis
Nahhhh....I like my pork better! Lean, juicy, tasty....it's terrific! I mostly buy the loin cuts. Yeow!

Old 06-24-2011, 02:13 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,995,441 times
Quote:

Trichinella spiralis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Now you have me really concerned......thank you

Old 06-24-2011, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-boy-80 View Post
Now you have me really concerned......thank you
Oh not to worry you only trying to educate you. Knowledge is power to make right choices!

You should watch that show Monsters Inside Me...you will learn a lot from that one!

I am a medical technologist and during my training in Parasitology I did not realize how misinformed I was on how easily it is to get a parasite.

I just don't take chances with meat when there is no need to!

Last edited by TVC15; 06-24-2011 at 04:02 PM..

Old 06-24-2011, 03:19 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,268,416 times
Quote:
Oh not to worry you only trying to educate you. Knowledge is power to make right choices!

You should watch that show Monsters Inside Us...you will learn a lot from that one!

I am a medical technologist and during my training in Parasitology I did not realize how misinformed I was on how easily it is to get a parasite.

I just don't take chances with meat when there is no need to!

HEY TVC15.................How's it going ??????? Long time no hear.
She's telling you the truth folks...She's 100% CORRECT.
i'LL dm YA.

Old 06-24-2011, 03:33 PM

44,348 posts, read 20,051,946 times
Quote:

Trichinella spiralis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
An excerpt from the wiki article from your link:

Prevention and control
Trichinosis (also trichinellosis) is a disease caused by tissue-dwelling roundworms of the species Trichinella spiralis. In the United States, the national trichinellosis surveillance system has documented a steady decline in the reported incidence of this disease. During 1947 to 1951, a median of 393 cases was reported annually, including 57 trichinellosis-related deaths. During 1997-2001, the incidence decreased to a median of 12 cases annually, with no reported deaths.

Now, stop panicking!

Old 06-24-2011, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ8 View Post
An excerpt from the wiki article from your link:

Prevention and control
Trichinosis (also trichinellosis) is a disease caused by tissue-dwelling roundworms of the species Trichinella spiralis. In the United States, the national trichinellosis surveillance system has documented a steady decline in the reported incidence of this disease. During 1947 to 1951, a median of 393 cases was reported annually, including 57 trichinellosis-related deaths. During 1997-2001, the incidence decreased to a median of 12 cases annually, with no reported deaths.

Now, stop panicking!
No one is panicking! Just educating.

Duh...you don't think I read my own links! I don't care how slim the chance is today...its not worth the risk. I'm not worried since I don't eat nasty pork anyway

You know they say that wearing a condom reduces the chance of sexually transmitted diseases'...I would not take the chance of having sex with a person who has a sexually transmitted disease even if they wore a full body condom! Yes the condom reduces the chance but I'm not taking that risk!

That's how I feel about the pork why take a chance even if the chance is slim. I care what I put into my body! I don't want a STD or a parasite!

Last edited by TVC15; 06-24-2011 at 04:20 PM..

Old 06-24-2011, 07:23 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,989,319 times
Quote:
No one is panicking! Just educating.

Duh...you don't think I read my own links! I don't care how slim the chance is today...its not worth the risk. I'm not worried since I don't eat nasty pork anyway

You know they say that wearing a condom reduces the chance of sexually transmitted diseases'...I would not take the chance of having sex with a person who has a sexually transmitted disease even if they wore a full body condom! Yes the condom reduces the chance but I'm not taking that risk!

That's how I feel about the pork why take a chance even if the chance is slim. I care what I put into my body! I don't want a STD or a parasite!
Wow......equating pork with sex and STDs.....no matter how long I live, some people never cease to amaze me.......or should I say dismay me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink