Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did your taste in sweets ("sweet tooth") change with age?
I used to crave sweets/have a total sweet tooth as a kid, now I can't stand sweets/or at least don't like 'em very much. 10 9.90%
I liked sweets a lot more as a kid although I still like them now. 26 25.74%
Not really much of a change (I like or dislike sweets more or less as much as I did as a kid) 45 44.55%
I actually like sweets/sweet taste more now than as a kid! 20 19.80%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 03:44 PM

5,112 posts, read 3,378,495 times

Advertisements

I was never a fan of overly sweet things as a child, the hard or chewy candy that the other kids were eating. I was always more of a fan of cake, and that hasn't changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2016, 04:56 PM

23,335 posts, read 23,735,200 times
Love sweets more now than as a child.

Old 12-01-2016, 04:57 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,346,468 times
I was a sugar fiend as a child. I remember eating those colored sugar bracelets and necklaces, buttered toast with an even coat of sprinkled sugar, sugary cereals such as Lucky Charm, etc. etc.

But then I completely lost the last for it by my early teens (perhaps in part from working in a bakery). Now I dislike the taste of sugar and sweets, for the most part. I'll occasionally eat special occasion sweets (usually chocolate-based) I make myself, such as bday cakes or truffles, because I can control the sugar and usually reduce it drastically from the amount stated in the recipe.

I find it distasteful now because it leaves me feeling thirsty, with a heavy mouthfeel.

Old 12-01-2016, 05:07 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,783,671 times
Here's an old favorite for those who still have an active sweet tooth. It's quick, cheap, and easy.

Broiled Cinnamon Toast

Melt some butter in a pan.
Take some fresh, white bread slices and brush the melted butter on one side.
Place the buttered bread slices, butter side up, on a cookie sheet.
Generously sprinkle the buttered bread slices with a layer of cinnamon sugar.
Place the cookie sheet of bread slices under the broiler.
Cook under the broiler until the sugar bubbles.
Remove from oven, cool until safe to eat, and enjoy.

The cinnamon-sugared side is crispy and sweet, and the underside is soft and steamy. I still remember my child's face when first tasting these incredible treats.

Old 12-01-2016, 05:57 PM

520 posts, read 597,648 times
I inherited my sweet tooth from my Nan. We both never lost it. I eat more sugar now because I wasn't allowed to as a child, but I would say my cravings for sweets has never changed. I just have easier access to them as an adult.

Old 12-01-2016, 08:15 PM

22,601 posts, read 24,418,850 times
I wish I could lose my sweet-tooth!!!!!!!

Quality chocolate candy, I love it. Good donuts, yum!

But yeah, I eat sugar, I get headaches....so I do my best to avoid.

Old 12-01-2016, 08:26 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,351,757 times
Actually there was choice for myself in the poll. I never was allowed to eat a lot of sweet/sugar ladened treats much due to dental issues as a very young child! (baby teeth) so never really acquired the need much less a desire to eat it.

However..much later in life..Yep..did acquire a taste for it..for a period of about a decade..NOW not to much..except for Skittles ..in the past few years...NOW..once again..not so much.. Do I sound schizoid or what?...LOL AS it turned out my permanent teeth were fine but since never craved it..mostly ignored it..but did enjoy cheesecake @ Christmas or something special at some celebration meal at a family holiday meal..but I never became addicted to high sweetness... >> LOL Bet you all are envious, eh..

Old 12-02-2016, 06:42 AM

50,087 posts, read 63,455,214 times
I have never been hooked on sweets, and now I avoid most carbs. I'm not a fanatic though. I can still enjoy a piece of cake every so often, but I don't ever eat candy or drink soda.

Old 12-02-2016, 08:11 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,546,066 times
I've always loved sweets. I'll be heading to the bakery shortly to pick up a few gourmet cupcakes! Not that I need them since I've eaten a ton of pumpkin pie since Thanksgiving.

Old 12-02-2016, 08:15 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,546,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Here's an old favorite for those who still have an active sweet tooth. It's quick, cheap, and easy.

Broiled Cinnamon Toast

Melt some butter in a pan.
Take some fresh, white bread slices and brush the melted butter on one side.
Place the buttered bread slices, butter side up, on a cookie sheet.
Generously sprinkle the buttered bread slices with a layer of cinnamon sugar.
Place the cookie sheet of bread slices under the broiler.
Cook under the broiler until the sugar bubbles.
Remove from oven, cool until safe to eat, and enjoy.

The cinnamon-sugared side is crispy and sweet, and the underside is soft and steamy. I still remember my child's face when first tasting these incredible treats.
Can't really go wrong with cinnamon, sugar, and butter but I'd use wheat bread instead. Whenever I order french toast, I get it on wheat bread too. Makes me feel slightly better about what I'm eating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink