Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did your taste in sweets ("sweet tooth") change with age?
I used to crave sweets/have a total sweet tooth as a kid, now I can't stand sweets/or at least don't like 'em very much. 10 9.90%
I liked sweets a lot more as a kid although I still like them now. 26 25.74%
Not really much of a change (I like or dislike sweets more or less as much as I did as a kid) 45 44.55%
I actually like sweets/sweet taste more now than as a kid! 20 19.80%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 06:22 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,013,023 times

Advertisements

There seems to be a generalization (that is at least backed up by many people's experiences) that many people crave sweets as children but "grow out of it" and lose it or at least no longer feel it as strongly as an adult. Candy and sweets, such as Halloween snacks, might lose their appeal.

On the flip side, it may be related to why fruity or artificially sweet foods, candies and drinks are associated with childishness or what only kids like, and it seems drinks such as coffee or beer are said to be at first, bitter and distasteful if sipped by kids at a young age who grow up to like them as adults.

I don't know if there is reasonable medical/scientific study to prove this (people must have looked into it?) change of taste (buds?) perception.

However, like many trends, there are always exceptions.

Have you found this to be the case in your life? Or has your taste in sweets hardly changed? I have a twenty-something-year old friend who, if anything has actually gotten more of a sweet tooth now than he has as a kid!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 06:27 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,538,654 times
I never really had much of a sweet tooth. As a kid, my snacks of choice were things like cheese and crackers, popcorn, etc. ...that's remained pretty much consistent through life. I'm still much more likely to crave savory and salty foods than sweet ones.

I also liked coffee from a young age, and, when I first drank beer (older teen, in Ireland, where it was legal for me to drink, and I was drinking Guinness, no less), there was none of the "acquire a taste for it" stuff going on...I liked it right away. I don't have much of a sweet tooth. I always hated fruity, girly, sickly sweet drinks, in terms of alcoholic beverages.

Old 07-05-2011, 07:41 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,619,501 times
I like bitter, astringent & sour tastes much more now that I'm in my 30's than say 10 yrs ago. I think your palate matures as you grow older.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:25 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,758,253 times
It's really weird, I think, but as an adult, I have much more of a sweet tooth than I did as a kid. Maybe it's because as a kid I was so picky I just didn't like much of anything. I liked some chocolate, but only very specific things. Like I would eat only a Hershey's chocolate bar, but no other kind of candy. I would eat chocolate ice cream, but only certain brands, or from certain ice cream shops, or only my moms chocolate cake. I liked a white/vanilla cake but only from a bakery. I was a weird kid.

As I grew up, I developed a taste for all kinds of things and now in middle age, I love all kinds of sweets, and my sweet tooth makes me crazy. Last night I was craving something sweet so badly. But I didn't give in, probably because I don't keep many sweets in the house.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:30 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,420,037 times
I never had much of a sweet tooth, I do bake alot though but it's mostly for Granny.
Every now and then I will crave some dark chocolate and it's always kept on hand...

Old 07-06-2011, 07:54 AM

2,104 posts, read 3,008,021 times
As a child I didn't have many sweets, Mom was more into fruits, which I still love to this day. But give me chocolate and I'm a happy camper. My sweet tooth is very active.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:17 AM

483 posts, read 853,915 times
Nope, I still have it. Especially after eating dinner, I have to have something sweet after, even if it's just one cookie.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:37 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
There seems to be a generalization (that is at least backed up by many people's experiences) that many people crave sweets as children but "grow out of it" and lose it or at least no longer feel it as strongly as an adult. Candy and sweets, such as Halloween snacks, might lose their appeal.

On the flip side, it may be related to why fruity or artificially sweet foods, candies and drinks are associated with childishness or what only kids like, and it seems drinks such as coffee or beer are said to be at first, bitter and distasteful if sipped by kids at a young age who grow up to like them as adults.

I don't know if there is reasonable medical/scientific study to prove this (people must have looked into it?) change of taste (buds?) perception.

However, like many trends, there are always exceptions.

Have you found this to be the case in your life? Or has your taste in sweets hardly changed? I have a twenty-something-year old friend who, if anything has actually gotten more of a sweet tooth now than he has as a kid!
more than losing my taste for sweets, I have learned to control it. I rarely eat desserts. I guess it is like training yourself not to eat the extra piece of bread or switching from hard liqour or wine, whatever.

Nita

Old 07-06-2011, 11:39 AM

19,496 posts, read 9,523,271 times
Oh I was a big candy consumer I think as I've aged, I may have tamed that urge to a lesser extent but every now and then....it kicks in and I still can't resist. Cadbury, Hersheys, and all those other [dark] chocolate manufacturers should give us some kind of thank-you in the form of a rebate.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:47 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,885,194 times
As a kid I used to say I couldn't wait till I grew up, had my own money, and could eat chocolate every day, especially brownies. My parents used to say that by then, I wouldn't want them all the time.

Now I'm grown up, and I can afford chocolate & brownies every day, but the idea doesn't really appeal to me. Guess parents are sometimes right.

Now wine and cheese every day, that's another thing....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink