U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 07:34 AM

4,037 posts, read 8,803,700 times

Advertisements

I was at Walmart yesterday picking up a few things I needed. While in the produce department I stopped to look at some peaches. They looked pretty good so I checked to see the price. The sign said $.80. and I think to myself that part of the numbers, like a 1 in front of the decimal must have fallen off. So I bagged up a few and headed on. As I came around the corner I saw another big display of them, also with a sign saying $.80. Okay so the price is correct. I figured I would try them, but for $.80 a lb I'm thinking they must be really bad or something. I tried one this morning, and they are absolutely delicious. I'm going back today and get more. It's time for a peach cobbler.

Last edited by debzkidz; 07-06-2011 at 07:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 07:47 AM

4,099 posts, read 4,968,917 times
I wich I could say the same for the Necterines I bought there last week.
They smelled great, were beautifull but very mealy like when eaten.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:09 PM

68,897 posts, read 79,041,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
I was at Walmart yesterday picking up a few things I needed. While in the produce department I stopped to look at some peaches. They looked pretty good so I checked to see the price. The sign said $.80. and I think to myself that part of the numbers, like a 1 in front of the decimal must have fallen off. So I bagged up a few and headed on. As I came around the corner I saw another big display of them, also with a sign saying $.80. Okay so the price is correct. I figured I would try them, but for $.80 a lb I'm thinking they must be really bad or something. I tried one this morning, and they are absolutely delicious. I'm going back today and get more. It's time for a peach cobbler.
good to know, the few peaches I have purchased this year have been really good. I just won't buy them from Wal-Mart, a couple of years ago I got them: they looked great and were awful: I tried again last year, out of 3, 1 was really good.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:13 PM

2,407 posts, read 5,130,735 times
I LOVE necterines, but hate it when they are mealy inside, especially when they look & smell good.
I'd take them back.
I'll have to get some peaches for hubby.

I bought some of their sweet corn a couple weeks ago...it was the best, very sweet & nice size ears. The price was great, too.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:49 PM

114,008 posts, read 52,183,712 times
Wife got some of those peaches..some were pretty good others not. It's getting so hard to find decent fruit these days. I think they all should be taken back..bad avocados, mealy fruit ,tasteless stuff. No one wants to stand in the return lines. But, if they started getting all the garbage stuff back they'd sell better quality produce.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:55 PM

2,653 posts, read 4,086,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
Wife got some of those peaches..some were pretty good others not. It's getting so hard to find decent fruit these days. I think they all should be taken back..bad avocados, mealy fruit ,tasteless stuff. No one wants to stand in the return lines. But, if they started getting all the garbage stuff back they'd sell better quality produce.
Yeah, Walmart should teach those illegals to pick better quality fruit.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:56 PM

35,784 posts, read 39,088,285 times
I got peaches recently, not from Wal-Mart, but from my local regional grocery chain...and they were PERFECT, but in the limited window of ripeness afforded to soft, stone fruits like peaches, they needed to be eaten pretty much right then and there. A couple of days earlier, they'd have been a touch too hard. Now, at two days later, if the few left don't get used, they'll be overripe and no good. With peaches, timing is everything.

Old 07-06-2011, 01:08 PM

15,497 posts, read 29,115,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
Instead why don't you check out localharvest.org and purchase peaches from a local farmer? Here is one...

Honey and beeswax candles from Honeybee Apairy maintained on premises and pollination sites.

Organic grown vegetables and fruit, but not certified. Heirloom vegetables and native wildflowers.

Cut flowers available during spring and summer, many lilies and other arrangement flowers.

Orchard has apples, peaches, pawpaw nectarine plums pears kiwi . Berries: strawberries, blueberries blackberries elderberry sandcherries Some tender citrus for jellies and marmalade.

Free range brown eggs and chickens, when laying.

National certified habitat.
(This listing was last updated on Apr 13, 2009)

Location909 N JOBE
MIDWEST CITY, OK 73110
[ get directions ]
Contact InformationTeresa Bell
405-733-7180

this sounds LOTS better than walmart to me.

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-06-2011, 01:19 PM

35,784 posts, read 39,088,285 times
I have a hard time with the pricing at my farmer's market, to be honest. I go often, even if I don't end up buying anything, because it's a couple of blocks from my house and on my dog walking path. In theory, I like the idea of supporting the locals (even though many who set up stands here aren't especially local). But my local grocer (not Wal-Mart) purchases much of their produce locally, and labels the origin. It's more economical, 9 times out of ten, to buy my local produce at the store, versus at the market. Trust me that I appreciate the crunchy granola aesthetic of the farmer's market, but ultimately, it comes down to $$$.

All told, I can't really argue with preferring to pay .80/lb for peaches, when the alternative at the farmer's market is $1 (or more) a peach.

Old 07-06-2011, 01:30 PM

68,897 posts, read 79,041,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I have a hard time with the pricing at my farmer's market, to be honest. I go often, even if I don't end up buying anything, because it's a couple of blocks from my house and on my dog walking path. In theory, I like the idea of supporting the locals (even though many who set up stands here aren't especially local). But my local grocer (not Wal-Mart) purchases much of their produce locally, and labels the origin. It's more economical, 9 times out of ten, to buy my local produce at the store, versus at the market. Trust me that I appreciate the crunchy granola aesthetic of the farmer's market, but ultimately, it comes down to $$$.

All told, I can't really argue with preferring to pay .80/lb for peaches, when the alternative at the farmer's market is $1 (or more) a peach.
I have to agree about the farmers markets. I do visit them for some things: last week I got my pickling cukes from them because I had to be sure they were freshly picked. I will also pick up a few other things, especially things I can't get everywhere. I got beets at a good price as well, but overall the stuff though fresh is really a little pricey. It seems to be a no win situation. The worst, for us, are the local roadside stands. Whether local or from 100 miles away they are really expensive and yet, they do a super business.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink