U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 07:40 PM

278 posts, read 139,982 times
Default oh dear, trader joes vs costco

i have been shopping at costco for years and love their kirkland brand, but its just too much product.

i recently discovered trader joes and i think i like them better. pay less for less food that wont go to waste

AND the stuff there is actually pretty darn good. especially their frozen foods. i guess ill be shopping at costco only for electronics from now on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 07:40 AM

47,264 posts, read 37,252,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradyischamp View Post
i have been shopping at costco for years and love their kirkland brand, but its just too much product.

i recently discovered trader joes and i think i like them better. pay less for less food that wont go to waste

AND the stuff there is actually pretty darn good. especially their frozen foods. i guess ill be shopping at costco only for electronics from now on.
If we had Trader Js we would visit each week. Cosco (or for us Sams) is great for non parishables and some meats. The Trader Js type stores and small local grocery stores are meant for the basic weekly shopping. That is how I see it.

Nita

Old 07-08-2011, 02:15 PM

11,168 posts, read 14,269,996 times
We have a TJ's less than 20 miles away. Unfortunately you have to pass through one of the worst intersections of New England, USA, to get from my house to there and so that 20 miles, on a 6-8-lane highway, takes almost an hour in each direction.

I've gone once. I won't go again, but I really did enjoy the store once I got there. I picked up a few jars of different varieties of marinara/spaghetti/tomato sauce, and discovered that cilantro can be minced, mixed with a little oil, and frozen in teaspoon-measured cubes for later use. I bought a package of those frozen cubes, turned out to make some excellent pico de gallo with them.

I know there's one in West Hartford too so next time I'm at Westfarms mall, I'll stop at TJs in the same trip. I'm more likely to go there than I am to have reason to drive to Orange any time soon.

Edited to add: Also, Aldi's is pretty neat, dirt cheap and you don't have to spend 20 minutes just trying to compare prices - they only carry one brand of everything

Old 07-09-2011, 12:03 PM

9,824 posts, read 15,296,667 times
Yeah, no TJ anywhere here, but I sure do love ALDI. ^^ Cheapest place to buy staples, and they are good quality! Sometimes they even get special buys on organic!

Old 07-09-2011, 12:05 PM

16,356 posts, read 12,962,901 times
Interesting. We are debating the merits of getting a Costco membership, but a local Trader Joe's is opening in the next month or so. Maybe I should wait and assess what's likely to be the better deal for us and our small household.

Old 07-09-2011, 05:09 PM

3,209 posts, read 7,255,957 times
There's a time for Costco and a time for TJ's. For most of my needs I'll go to Trader Joe's, since there's no way I could use up the huge sizes at Costco. However, for certain things that don't spoil or if I'm buying for a party then I like Costco (well, BJ's. I don't have a Costco card).

Old 07-09-2011, 05:42 PM

2,399 posts, read 2,901,390 times
I like both. Costco is only 40 miles from me...whereas TJ is 60. Just depends if I am going somewhere else & drive by a TJ. Then of course I'll stop.

Old 07-09-2011, 06:35 PM

452 posts, read 135,000 times
Both Costco and TJ are 5 minutes down the road from me but haven't been to either of them. I have Sam's Club (also 5 minutes away). No personal preference, my family has been with SC for a long time.

Old 07-09-2011, 10:09 PM

13,420 posts, read 6,371,301 times
My Costco store is a mile away from my house and the nearest Trader Joe's is about 4 miles. I prefer going to TJ's most of the time because it would take me a VERY long time to consume the bulk quantity products sold at Costco which end up going bad and subsequently discarded.

Old 07-10-2011, 07:20 AM

9,698 posts, read 10,233,248 times
I have only been to TJ's once or twice because it is about 20 miles away through heavy traffic. Costco is closer (about 6 or 7 miles) and we use our food saver to package meats. Other than that, we can usually get as good a deal at the local grocers and we don't have to drive but a few miles. That said, I really like my Costco membership because the stores are clean, prices good, electronics warranties very good, food samples, and it seems like every week they have special vendors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink