U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 10:42 AM

8,142 posts, read 11,626,704 times

Advertisements

Do any other pizza lover's experience this?

It's hard to order pizza in small enough quantities for just one person. Many places don't have a small/single pizza, so you have to order a large. And you know what it's like when you are an "official" pizza lover. You end up eating way too much of it.

Another bad option is the buffet where you get all you can eat. It costs enough that you feel you have to get your money's worth, and it's so easy to overeat when you go to those.

That's why I like NY style eateries. You can order just 1 or 2 slices and that fills you up. ...But sometimes I want some other type of pizza than that. You know what I mean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 11:45 AM

4,082 posts, read 4,915,117 times
Many places quit serving pizza by the slice years ago and mostly due to health regulations.
Cold foods need to be kept below 40 degrees and hot foods above 140 or 145 in some states.
You simply cannot store pizza under heat because it drys out and gets nasty.. There is no such thing as a room temp cooked item in health dept standards.

We used to get nailed on this all the time at the restaurant, then people go online look and see Improper food temps listed as a vioation and freak out..

As far as single serving pizzas, it's tough to do because making the dough is done in advance it's all weighed and pretty much people didnt order a single serving pizza, we did offer a 14 inch medium though, still way beyond what 1 should consume..

Old 07-09-2011, 12:02 PM

35,556 posts, read 38,493,813 times
My BF is a New Yorker, and is FOREVER bitching about the difficulty of buying pizza by the slice here in the Midwest.

I, myself, was raised on Chicago-style, deep dish, which is basically a pizza casserole, and always in voluminous servings. After spending last Christmas with his dad in Manhattan, though, I now understand.

We ducked into Famous Ben's after a solid morning of scouring Village record and headshops for grungy hipster Christmas gifts, and I was encouraged by the relative dumpiness/unpretentiousness of the setup...surely, this must mean good pizza, right? I've seen Spike Lee movies. After that experience, I can see how by-the-slice pizza shops in NY get around the health code stuff. There's no way ANY pizza sits around in that joint longer than a few minutes.

There are a couple of places here in KC that do by-the-slice, but it's generally an after bar close kinda thing...one of them is located in the back of a bar in a popular night spot neighborhood. After close, they are able to peddle a whole lot of slices in short order. I remember this on Sixth Street in Austin, as well.

My biggest pizza frustration is not the size of the pie/slice, it's more a matter of the fact that my BF is a purist, and won't go for anything that's not a "classic" topping pie, so that shoots my quest for variety out of the water, at times. We sometimes do the half-and-half, thing, though.

Old 07-09-2011, 12:43 PM
bjh

24,826 posts, read 22,447,202 times
In the town where I went to college there is a place where they make each slice individually as ordered. Good, too.

Old 07-09-2011, 02:11 PM

113,938 posts, read 51,727,928 times
Get a burger I'm pizza'd out.

Old 07-09-2011, 10:17 PM

There is a place called EZ's which sells a variety of dishes, including brick oven pizza. They come in only 2 sizes: 7-inch and 11-inch. The 11-inch is perfect for one person who is hungry. Although 10 inch might be better.

I don't get the deal with the 7 inch, however.
11 inch = 95 square inches.
7 inch = 38 square inches.
That's a difference of 2.5 times the quantity between the two. Whoever originated those sizes at EZ's didn't know their geometry!

But my point is, it's EASY to make smaller pizzas. Most places just don't bother for some reason.

Old 07-09-2011, 10:22 PM

42,028 posts, read 48,892,462 times
Um. Cuz it's a pizza.

Like it's hard to find a roast chicken for one person.

Or a cake for one person.

That's the nature of that particular food.

Old 07-09-2011, 10:35 PM

I would like to point out that Pizza Hut USED to serve a small pizza. It was perfect. Then they started selling their mini/personal size which doesn't fill you up. For whatever reason, it seems to be too much trouble to have a small. But that's just for chains.

Every Italian restaurant practically that I have been to in America serves small pizzas. They even serve them in Italy.

I don't see a problem. There's no good excuse.

Old 07-09-2011, 10:37 PM

42,028 posts, read 48,892,462 times
Probably not cost effective.

Old 07-10-2011, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Probably not cost effective.
That's doubtful. The chains have been lowering their pizza prices dramatically in the past decade. In the 80's we were paying double, maybe triple what we pay now (in relative dollars). If they can handle such an obscene profit loss, then I doubt that something like the size difference could have had that much effect.

I think it's probably just to make it easier for the employees or management somehow. But it's never good to take away options for the customer. I think it's always a loss. Why else would they have resorted to lowering their prices? They made bad choices somewhere, and I think part of it was from removing choices for the customer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink