Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 10:20 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
In other words: some people like it, some don't. We still should have a choice...
I didn't say there shouldn't be a choice. I was simply responding to the poster who said he was baffled at anyone having problems. Many people DO have problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 10:48 AM

19,496 posts, read 9,525,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by datacity12 View Post
How about customers who take out their bad days on the cashier? It goes both ways!
True... they shouldn't do that either. Sometimes you have to overlook those things and try to turn it around by, as the old saying goes, killing them with kindness. However, the cashier is the representative for the store and should at least try to be upbeat when customers come through their lines. I've seen some customer reps turn an otherwise surly individual into a Teddy Bear after after a 10minute unpleasant encounter.
They deserved a bonus

Old 07-11-2011, 12:17 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
There are often glitches at the self-serve. For example, the Big Y near me requires a cashier to scan coupons, and the silver/gold coins. I still use the self-serve, and I accept upon going in that I might need to wait a minute while the self-serve cashier can get to me if she's busy with another task, or on a Sunday. I also bag my own groceries, and really don't like having someone else bag them for me.

Even before there were self-serves, I bagged my own. I learned that the hard way after watching baggers put ONE two-liter bottle of Pepsi in a bag, then putting the bag, with nothing else in it, in the basket. Then bagging another bottle, by itself, then putting 6 glass jars of peanutbutter and tomato sauce and olive oil in a plastic bag with no paper supporting it, and mixing bloody packages of ground meat with a dozen eggs tilted on the container's side...

Finally I got fed up watching baggers just really not have ANY idea how to bag, and having to take everything out before leaving the supermarket and re-bagging them myself, and told the baggers to just go away and leave the bagging to me.

The cashiers are often even worse, because they're in a hurry to get to the next customer.

Old 07-12-2011, 04:23 PM

38,864 posts, read 22,849,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
In other words: some people like it, some don't. We still should have a choice...
I like having choices available to me.

Old 07-12-2011, 04:34 PM

830 posts, read 1,665,690 times
I'm another vote in favor of getting rid of those machines. I never really cared so much that they are "job eliminators" (because being a cashier sucks) but I hate self-checkers because 1. it's easier to steal and 2. there's always some kind of problem when you try to scan the item correctly (e.g. machine said you didn't bag the item when you did). Some companies (including Walmart, where I work) are so desperate to save a few bucks that they'll try anything. Not worth it!

Old 07-12-2011, 05:32 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,568,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayah(812) View Post
I'm another vote in favor of getting rid of those machines. I never really cared so much that they are "job eliminators" (because being a cashier sucks) but I hate self-checkers because 1. it's easier to steal and 2. there's always some kind of problem when you try to scan the item correctly (e.g. machine said you didn't bag the item when you did). Some companies (including Walmart, where I work) are so desperate to save a few bucks that they'll try anything. Not worth it!
I don't know how it's easier to steal by using self checkouts??

Old 07-12-2011, 05:53 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,193,585 times
I might take some heat for mentioning this but I've noticed (granted anecdotally) a correlation between age and ability to complete a self-scan transaction without drama/confusion. Be interesting to see an actual study on it.

Old 07-12-2011, 05:59 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
I never go to the DIY if there's a real person available. I want our local people to have jobs. We need more jobs here, not less. And I don't care that someone in Indonesia will be unemployed if stores remove the DIY scanning stations.

I don't think they work all that well either. I'll take the person every time. BTW, a less than honest person I know cheats those self checkouts like crazy.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:37 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I didn't say there shouldn't be a choice. I was simply responding to the poster who said he was baffled at anyone having problems. Many people DO have problems.

I didn't responded to your post. I merely made a general remark. It just happen that my post was under your post...
I think people that love it should be able to use it, and those that hate it - should avoid it lol

Old 07-12-2011, 08:41 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
My big chain grocer just put them in. I've used them occasionally but
don't care if they are there or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink