Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 10:51 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,029,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
that bathroom line made me think of the guys sometimes hanging around in the bathrooms. does anyone appreciate that? is it too much work to turn the water on yourself and grab your own paper towel?
HAHAHA! That's like the reverse of the "self-checkout lanes" question. There are some things that really should be done on your own. Bathroom work is one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 12:44 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,916,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
Me I love self checkout. Don't have to talk with the half wit checkers most stores employ. When a item doesn't scan I just turn to Ugly Betty and grunt.
I haven't been around for a few days but I had to respond to your statement. I ask you to please understand that most cashiers work very hard and deal with a multitude of people every day. You think it's nice to call some of them half-wits ?

My mother works at Squal*mart. She has 30+ years as a senior computer programmer under her belt until her outsourcing. I gaurantee you she is no half wit. In spite of the much lower pay she recieves she still does her best job every single day. Many cashiers are disenfranchised professionals who take the job because there is nothing else to pay the bills. All I ask is that you think about this fact.

Back on topic:

Personally I love the machines. I have had no problems with them and they are a nice alternative to waiting in a long line. Yes, the machines robot talk is annoying but I'm willing to trade that for getting out of the store faster.

I'm not the typical woman that likes to shop. Really I hate it, but I tend to take forever (especially in the produce section) reading labels and such. But shopping for it's own sake. Ugh. You can have it.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:55 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
I haven't been around for a few days but I had to respond to your statement. I ask you to please understand that most cashiers work very hard and deal with a multitude of people every day. You think it's nice to call some of them half-wits ?
this past 4th of july weekend i was behind some older guy waiting to check out at a supermarket. the old guy was attempting to be funny but he was kind of mumbling and awkward about it. almost like a dirty old man. then he started commenting how the cashier girl had no sense of humor. i remembered my father doing stuff like that. but he was akward and weird and i felt he was just an old jerk that felt the cashier should be obligated to laugh at his jokes even though he was weird.

now when they arent pleasant to me thats different because my jokes are funny!

Old 07-13-2011, 01:09 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,916,360 times
Lol...being an ex-cashier myself (now a graduated chef looking for a job, but may returning to cashiering simply to make ends meet), I always loved funny customers, even if I'd heard the joke a million times before it didn't matter, because I appreciated the interaction and would take that over a rude customer.

That's one thing I don't mind when I shop. I'll happilly spend time during the grocery processing to engage in a little one on one. Makes me feel good and makes the cashier a little happier. I tend to take their cues though. If they are the ultra serious (not all cashiers are rude if they are quiet, they are merely focused) I won't say much unless they do. But I would never hold up a line with chit chat.

I also never expect a cashier to smile like a loon for no reason. That comes across as fake because it IS. And while I do tend to smile a lot, it is always real because I don't smile when I don't have a good reason to lol

Old 07-13-2011, 01:47 PM

17,376 posts, read 16,518,282 times
I've used the self check outs before and haven't really had a problem. But when I'm spending big bucks at the store on groceries (or whatever), it's nice to have a live cashier at least ring the items up/bag them for me/handle any problems that might come up.

Old 07-13-2011, 01:52 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,825,817 times
Why don't the self service things give you a 5% (or 1 or 2 %) discount? Saving the stores on cashiers which they're so chintzy supplying. Yeah, I refuse to stand around long and will use the self serve on occasion. I really do find little to complain about with cashiers lately. Most seem competent though you still run into a dead head once in a while. Of course some customers are dead heads and grab clothing with no tags and such.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:07 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Another article:

Supervalu yesterday issued a statement saying that it “is not removing the self check-out lanes from the 460 Albertsons stores that it owns and operates in Idaho, Oregon, Montana, Nevada, Southern California, Utah, Washington state and Wyoming.”

The statement was made after Albertsons LLC - a separate entity - announced last week that it “is pulling all the self-checkout lanes from the roughly 100 of its stores that have them ‘in an effort to encourage more human contact with its customers’.”

"Despite many incorrect reports, Albertsons stores owned by Supervalu will continue to operate self check-out lanes," said Lilia Rodriguez, a company spokeswoman. "Since this story broke last week, our customers have called us and we learned first-hand that they want and appreciate the convenience of self check-out lanes."

Old 07-14-2011, 03:15 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,616,264 times
I was using the self check out the other day in a not so nice neighborhood and even though I put in the PLU code for my produce, it wouldn't let me go any further. It seems the cashier has to check all produce because people were not giving honest quantities or putting the wrong code in to get organic items at the non-organic price. They also verified each coupon being used because people were buying items that didn't match the coupons.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:51 PM

38,886 posts, read 22,870,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Another article:

Supervalu yesterday issued a statement saying that it “is not removing the self check-out lanes from the 460 Albertsons stores that it owns and operates in Idaho, Oregon, Montana, Nevada, Southern California, Utah, Washington state and Wyoming.”

The statement was made after Albertsons LLC - a separate entity - announced last week that it “is pulling all the self-checkout lanes from the roughly 100 of its stores that have them ‘in an effort to encourage more human contact with its customers’.”

"Despite many incorrect reports, Albertsons stores owned by Supervalu will continue to operate self check-out lanes," said Lilia Rodriguez, a company spokeswoman. "Since this story broke last week, our customers have called us and we learned first-hand that they want and appreciate the convenience of self check-out lanes."
This is definitely good news.

Old 07-17-2011, 02:54 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,571,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
Personally I love the machines. I have had no problems with them and they are a nice alternative to waiting in a long line. Yes, the machines robot talk is annoying but I'm willing to trade that for getting out of the store faster.
Speaking of machines talking, my bank's ATM machine not only talks but it's in a British accent! Wonder if it's because I live in the other London?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink