U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 11:15 AM

5,706 posts, read 7,807,946 times

Advertisements

Albertsons LLC, which operates 217 stores in seven Western and Southern states, will eliminate all self-checkout lanes in the 100 stores that have them and will replace them with standard or express lanes, a spokeswoman said.

Major grocer getting rid of self-checkout lanes - Business - Consumer news - Retail - msnbc.com

I never considered using self-checkout because I viewed it as nothing more than another job eliminator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 11:55 AM

68,163 posts, read 78,046,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
Albertsons LLC, which operates 217 stores in seven Western and Southern states, will eliminate all self-checkout lanes in the 100 stores that have them and will replace them with standard or express lanes, a spokeswoman said.

Major grocer getting rid of self-checkout lanes - Business - Consumer news - Retail - msnbc.com

I never considered using self-checkout because I viewed it as nothing more than another job eliminator.
well I happen to like them. The biggest problem was handling problems when the arose.

Nita

Old 07-09-2011, 12:45 PM
bjh

24,700 posts, read 22,424,969 times
I hope they don't do that at Krogers. I like them.

I will say this, in Europe checkers sit to do their job, and there's no reason why they can't do the same here.

Old 07-09-2011, 12:53 PM

3,083 posts, read 3,227,092 times
I'm glad to see them go. With any luck Home Depot and Walmart will get a clue and follow Albertsons lead.

Old 07-09-2011, 01:37 PM

19,756 posts, read 14,954,547 times
I wish they would get rid of all self check out stands. It doesn't make the lines move any faster and it eliminates jobs. I've used them a few times to see what they were about, I don't like them. There's a Home Depot in Miami that almost forces you to use a self checkout. I hate that and I tried never to shop there because of it. Hard enough trying to find someone to help in that HD, now they don't even want to give you a cashier? Something wrong with that.

Take them all away.

Old 07-09-2011, 01:47 PM

16,301 posts, read 23,949,270 times
So the checker can chat with her fiend, or basically look terribly annoyed that they have to ring up your stuff while popping their gum.

Old 07-09-2011, 01:58 PM

1,659 posts, read 1,477,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
I hope they don't do that at Krogers. I like them.

I will say this, in Europe checkers sit to do their job, and there's no reason why they can't do the same here.
I noticed this during time I spent in England. They have compassion for their workers there. Over here we're so customer kiss butt happy that the powers that be dictate it looks bad to the customer to see an employee sitting. Nevermind that EVERYONE knows standing on your feet on concrete isn't good for you.

My husband (who was British) said that some American company bought out one of their stores (ASDA I think it is) and tried to do the same over there but the people wouldn't have it.

But then British people have balls and compassion, something seriously lacking in this country.

Old 07-09-2011, 02:16 PM

2,192 posts, read 5,965,432 times
I hate self checkout. I try and remove all bar codes from items I'm purchasing so that the checker at the self checkout counter has to run and get them for every item.

busta

Old 07-09-2011, 02:28 PM

68,163 posts, read 78,046,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustaduke View Post
I hate self checkout. I try and remove all bar codes from items I'm purchasing so that the checker at the self checkout counter has to run and get them for every item.

busta
isn't that kinda silly? I can't imagine bothering. If you don't like self checkout use a regular checker. Or at least all the stores I have seen that have auto check also have a few regular checkers.

Nita

Old 07-09-2011, 02:30 PM

113,936 posts, read 51,691,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustaduke View Post

busta
Standard procedure at K-Mart! Glad ours are gone. The real reason self checkouts are implemented is they save the stores money in losses not cashier wages.. They are aware of their checkers lack of math skills and managements own faulty pricing and product ID methods. They feel they're better off leaving it all up to a customers honesty or perceived scrutiny from above. Pitiful! Cashiers should be allowed to sit it is stupid for them to have to stand. Of course the stores would want to pay less for a sit down job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink