U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 07-19-2011, 12:03 AM
 
Location: San Antonio/Houston
33,549 posts, read 51,767,813 times
Reputation: 82971

Advertisements

Everyone knows that a good brine or marinade for chicken and turkey can amp up the flavor, but there are lots of great foods that you may not consider marinating, much less grilling, that can bring great taste to your backyard BBQ.

Hot dogs - marinate your hot dogs in a bath of ketchup, soy sauce, vinegar, and some other spices to give them a kick that visitors to your backyard BBQ won't soon forget. The trick to marinating hot dogs is to cut cross-hatch patterns in them before you drop them in the bath. That way you give the marinade a way to seep into the dog and work its way into spaces where it'll stay when as it cooks on the grill.

Steaks - I know, I know! We shouldn't marinate beef—it's so easy to ruin a good cut of beef when you should just salt and pepper it and toss it on the grill. But: marinating steak in beer will add deliciousness and reduce the potentially carcinogenic chemicals created when grilling meat.

Fruit - most people marinate their fruit when making a chilled fruit salad, but dropping your pineapple slices in a mixture of rum, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg before putting them on the grill can make a great dessert for when you're finished the burgers and steaks.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-19-2011, 06:18 AM
 
Location: Charlotte county, Florida
4,102 posts, read 4,992,344 times
Reputation: 11837
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Steaks - I know, I know! We shouldn't marinate beef—it's so easy to ruin a good cut of beef when you should just salt and pepper it and toss it on the grill. But: marinating steak in beer will add deliciousness and reduce the potentially carcinogenic chemicals created when grilling meat.
But...but.. Elnina those potentially carcinogenic Chemicals and burnt bits taste so darned good on any grilled meat..

I love to marinate chicken though keeps it nice and moist..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2011, 06:28 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
69,259 posts, read 79,447,244 times
Reputation: 38627
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Everyone knows that a good brine or marinade for chicken and turkey can amp up the flavor, but there are lots of great foods that you may not consider marinating, much less grilling, that can bring great taste to your backyard BBQ.

Hot dogs - marinate your hot dogs in a bath of ketchup, soy sauce, vinegar, and some other spices to give them a kick that visitors to your backyard BBQ won't soon forget. The trick to marinating hot dogs is to cut cross-hatch patterns in them before you drop them in the bath. That way you give the marinade a way to seep into the dog and work its way into spaces where it'll stay when as it cooks on the grill.

Steaks - I know, I know! We shouldn't marinate beef—it's so easy to ruin a good cut of beef when you should just salt and pepper it and toss it on the grill. But: marinating steak in beer will add deliciousness and reduce the potentially carcinogenic chemicals created when grilling meat.

Fruit - most people marinate their fruit when making a chilled fruit salad, but dropping your pineapple slices in a mixture of rum, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg before putting them on the grill can make a great dessert for when you're finished the burgers and steaks.
I wonder why our steak tasted better when daddy cooked it 50 years ago: I know, he never marinaded it but I might try to beer. I do use wine and lemon juice. Dad used salt, pepper and crushed garlic.

Nita
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2011, 08:38 AM
 
4,891 posts, read 8,976,550 times
Reputation: 8366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula1 View Post
I love to marinate chicken though keeps it nice and moist..
Got any recipies u wanna share?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2011, 10:05 AM
 
Location: San Antonio/Houston
33,549 posts, read 51,767,813 times
Reputation: 82971
^^^ try something really simple: get an Italian dressing and pour it over your chicken, make sure it's nicely covered. Leave it in the fridge overnight. Your chicken will be delicious
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2011, 02:23 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
69,259 posts, read 79,447,244 times
Reputation: 38627
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
^^^ try something really simple: get an Italian dressing and pour it over your chicken, make sure it's nicely covered. Leave it in the fridge overnight. Your chicken will be delicious
I do that as well, but I never think to do it for 24 hours, maybe next time. Yes, I am going to try the beer secret. I did our pork butt in beer a couple of weeks ago. It was just unbeleivably good.

NIta
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2011, 02:43 PM
 
Location: Charlotte county, Florida
4,102 posts, read 4,992,344 times
Reputation: 11837
Default Elnina, I hate to not agree..

If I want something to taste like Vinagar..I will eat pickles..
To me..And my opinion..
Vinagar in meat taste spoiled..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2011, 02:48 PM
 
Location: Staten Island, NY
6,482 posts, read 5,967,208 times
Reputation: 6939
Marinate your skirt steak in a bath of Soy Sauce, Pineapple Juice, and Water (in equal amounts.)
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2011, 02:51 PM
 
Location: Visitation between Wal-Mart & Home Depot
8,309 posts, read 33,329,150 times
Reputation: 7038
Let venison soak overnight in a lite bath of olive oil with a sprinkle of Worchestire, a generous coat of fresh, chopped rosemary, three chopped cloves of garlic, enough salt and pepper to emulsify the olive oil when tossed and three or four whole sprigs of fresh thyme hidden in the meat.

Grill a little hotter and quicker than you would a similar portion of beef. Venison is way, way well done when it starts to "seize" on the grill so pull it when it's still a tad gelatinous.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2011, 03:14 PM
 
Location: San Antonio/Houston
33,549 posts, read 51,767,813 times
Reputation: 82971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula1 View Post
If I want something to taste like Vinagar..I will eat pickles..
To me..And my opinion..
Vinagar in meat taste spoiled..
I dare to disagree...
Meat marinated in red wine, garlic and herbed oil will turn the toughest cuts of meat into fork-tender morsels in a rich-tasting sauce
The only thing is the timing. You marinate it few hours, not overnight.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top