U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 10:58 PM

12,381 posts, read 8,091,663 times
Default Tired of buying juices that are unlabeled for containing SUCRALOSE (SPLENDA)

O.K. I don't know about you shoppers but I'm getting really tired of buying drinks/juices that come unlabled as containing sucralose (SPLENDA) or some other such sweetener that isn't natural cane sugar or (heaven forbid) corn syrup.

I can't stand the flavor of the sucralose and there are so many drinks that are unlabeled on the shelf that they're not natural sugar but a sugar-like substitute.

I can taste the difference from the very first sip not to mention the lingering chemical aftertaste that turns my gut.

There's a new flavor of Vitamin water I purchased (Stur-D) it's horrible. I purchased an Ocean Spray Cran-Energy drink when they were first introduced to their product line - same nasty flavor of artificial sugar aftertaste. And finally today I saw a new product and it's by V8 - V-Fusion & Tea and it's got the same sucralose yuck in it.

Why don't they label these products as having sucralose in LARGE PRINT on the front label?

It's horrible and I'm really tired of pouring juices down the sink because I can't stand to drink it!

From their website:

Quote:
Is there added sugar or high fructose corn syrup in V8 V-Fusion?
V8 V-Fusion contains NO added sugar and NO high fructose corn syrup, see nutrition information for calories and sugar content.
It certainly doesn't say that it's fake sugar does it? No mention that the sweetner is sucralose (SPLENDA).

Sucralose - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Only in the teeny tiny ingredient breakdown on the back of the label. Third to last ingredient. I don't have time to waste when I'm shopping checking for artificial sweeteners in my drinks - usually it's in GIANT PRINT on the front of the label - DIET, LOW CAL, DIABETIC... etc.

Zero mention anywhere on the front label that it contains SUCRALOSE = SPLENDA!

Spoiler

What say you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 06:17 AM

19,137 posts, read 11,165,237 times
I say you need to quit buying artificially flavored juice like drinks. Or quit complaining. One or the other.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:41 AM

6,523 posts, read 9,375,260 times
Yeah. Since you have such strong feelings about it, read the labels. Products like this are all likely to have artificial sweeteners.

I don't buy a lot of beverages, we mostly drink iced tea which I can sweeten (or not) myself.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:36 AM

24,236 posts, read 28,517,854 times
I say you need to read the label before you plunk it in your cart.

Old 07-26-2011, 02:54 AM

In the not so distant past, drinks were labeled on the front in large enough print "diet", "lo-cal", etc.

They no longer label them.

You go to the market and pick up any of those drinks I listed and see for yourself if they are plainly labeled to contain artificial sugar.

THAT'S my complaint.

Old 07-26-2011, 05:35 AM

2,638 posts, read 5,458,371 times
Your title is misleading, by your own admission these products are not unlabeled for sucralose. The front label is for marketing, not disclosure. The front label is designed to SELL the product. Why would they label it in such a way as to make you avoid buying it? The ingredients list is for disclosure, that is the real label and I read them all the time. I don't understand why you refuse to read the label to get the information that you need.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:33 AM

16,701 posts, read 11,154,177 times
You "don't have time" to read the label? How long exactly does that take? Even if I have to stop, take reading glasses out of my purse and scan the list of ingredients, if something is important to me that's what I do. It's a lot less time consuming than going through tasting something, being disgusted with the taste, going back, reading the label, throwing the stuff out then complaining about it online.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
Your title is misleading, by your own admission these products are not unlabeled for sucralose. The front label is for marketing, not disclosure. The front label is designed to SELL the product. Why would they label it in such a way as to make you avoid buying it? The ingredients list is for disclosure, that is the real label and I read them all the time. I don't understand why you refuse to read the label to get the information that you need.
So the front label on the product labeled "LIGHT" is for marketing to people who use artificial sweeteners. I do not use artificial sweeteners. So they tricked me into buying that product and wasting my money. See picture examples below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
You "don't have time" to read the label? How long exactly does that take? Even if I have to stop, take reading glasses out of my purse and scan the list of ingredients, if something is important to me that's what I do. It's a lot less time consuming than going through tasting something, being disgusted with the taste, going back, reading the label, throwing the stuff out then complaining about it online.
For a product using fake sugar it should be in large print on the front of the package as it used to be.

contains: SPLENDA, NUTRASWEET, ETC.

They removed all such labeling from those products.

No. I don't have time to read thru the maltodextrin, the fumaric acid, the magnesium sulfate etc.

Labels generally say: DIET, LIGHT, LOW CAL, DIABETIC, "contains: PHENYLKETONEURICS", ETC.

As I said, I challenge anyone who is up for it to go to the juice section of your local grocer and scan the shelf for the items I posted in this thread.

I doubt that you can read the label and determine that the product contains sucralose without flipping it over (straining your eyesight) and reading the ingredient list.

V8 also MAKES the EXACT SAME PRODUCT (without TEA) WITH "DIET" CLEARLY LABELED ON IT. But not the one I purchased which is not labeled as having fake sugar and they are selling it as non-Diet REGULAR.

Which is my point.

These products were required to be clearly labeled as containing artificial sugars. But sometime in the last 5 years those clearly labeled products disappeared.

When a consumer like me, is used to shopping and seeing items clearly labeled as being "diet" (which automatically means the contain fake sugar) I avoid them. When I don't see that label I am inclined to pick it up and purchase it. When I purchase it and drink the product only THEN do I find out that there's fake sugar in the product. That is a waste of $4.00 because I pour the product down the sink. These companies are making MONEY off of consumers in a manner they never were able to before.

I shouldn't have to flip over the bottle and read the teeny tiny fine print of the ingredients when the labels should clearly state when they contain artificial sugars.

Some people don't want that poison in their bodies, don't want to be tricked into buying something and wasting their money on products that are not clearly labeled.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:51 PM

16,701 posts, read 11,154,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
So the front label on the product labeled "LIGHT" is for marketing to people who use artificial sweeteners. I do not use artificial sweeteners. So they tricked me into buying that product and wasting my money. See picture examples below.

For a product using fake sugar it should be in large print on the front of the package as it used to be.

contains: SPLENDA, NUTRASWEET, ETC.

They removed all such labeling from those products.

No. I don't have time to read thru the maltodextrin, the fumaric acid, the magnesium sulfate etc.

Labels generally say: DIET, LIGHT, LOW CAL, DIABETIC, "contains: PHENYLKETONEURICS", ETC.

As I said, I challenge anyone who is up for it to go to the juice section of your local grocer and scan the shelf for the items I posted in this thread.

I doubt that you can read the label and determine that the product contains sucralose without flipping it over (straining your eyesight) and reading the ingredient list.

V8 also MAKES the EXACT SAME PRODUCT (without TEA) WITH "DIET" CLEARLY LABELED ON IT. But not the one I purchased which is not labeled as having fake sugar and they are selling it as non-Diet REGULAR.

Which is my point.

These products were required to be clearly labeled as containing artificial sugars. But sometime in the last 5 years those clearly labeled products disappeared.

When a consumer like me, is used to shopping and seeing items clearly labeled as being "diet" (which automatically means the contain fake sugar) I avoid them. When I don't see that label I am inclined to pick it up and purchase it. When I purchase it and drink the product only THEN do I find out that there's fake sugar in the product. That is a waste of $4.00 because I pour the product down the sink. These companies are making MONEY off of consumers in a manner they never were able to before.

I shouldn't have to flip over the bottle and read the teeny tiny fine print of the ingredients when the labels should clearly state when they contain artificial sugars.

Some people don't want that poison in their bodies, don't want to be tricked into buying something and wasting their money on products that are not clearly labeled.
If you don't want to eat it, I'd suggest reading the ingredient list. That is what it is there for.... You may care about artificial sugars, someone else may care about soy or gluten or peanut residue or something all together different. Should all of these be listed in bold lettering on the front also? As another poster said, the front is for marketing, the list of ingredients is there so that you know what you're buying. You choose to not take the time to read the information they are legally obligated to provide you FOR THIS VERY PURPOSE. Once you get in the habit of reading labels, it really does not take that much time. Especially if you are looking for something specific. No one has tricked you. You are just looking for the "easy" button. They are not obligated to provide that.

ETA - have you considered drinking water? Or tea/lemonade that you make yourself? Then you won't have to be bothered with the hassle of label-reading. Probably better for you all the way around than most of the stuff you're looking at anyway.

Last edited by maciesmom; 07-26-2011 at 01:16 PM..

Old 07-26-2011, 01:15 PM

15,933 posts, read 20,950,994 times
Any reasonable person who most emphatically does NOT want an ingredient in something they drink is going to read the label. The ingredients label, not the advertising material on the label. That's just the way it is. You seem to want to be spoonfed the information, and whether you want it or not, that's just not going to happen.

Nor should it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink