Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 10:07 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,277,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i hate it when my entree comes while im still eating my appetizer.
I'm betting for every person who hates this, there's one or more who *hate* it when they finish their appetizer, and have to wait, in their opinion, overly long for their food. I've never been a server, but it stands to reason that you can't serve everyone's whims, and some people's preferences are other people's peccadilloes. And everyone has their own definition of "a reasonable amount of time, in addition. Seems like it would be a no-win situation.

That said, I don't have many non-food-related peeves, but I do have one, and that's TVs in restaurants (of the non-sports bar variety, obviously). And I fully realize that there are some who doubtless LOVE this feature. Not I.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:16 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,239,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
Nothing immediately irritates the hell out of me more than servers/hosts grouping everyone around in a small area when the place is otherwise empty. I'm sure they do this explicitly for their own convenience: it's easier to wait tables when all the patrons are in a neat little row. Cuts the number of steps down.

I found this interesting, because when I waited tables (and I did it only once, for the long-defunct Sambo's Restaurant. . . remember them?), clustering was not permitted. Patrons were seated equally from station to station to even out the numbers for the waitresses. We all had to bus our own tables, which added to the work load, so piling on the customers to a single waitress was overwhelming.

We did close off the nicer diningroom area on shifts that had low patronage. I often worked the graveyard shift by myself except on weekends. I remember one couple that always wanted to sit in there, and I don't know if it was for privacy or atmosphere. They'd ask to sit in there if it was closed off, and although I didn't want to, did oblige (in hopes that I didn't forget they were in there ~ which never happened, thank goodness).

My husband is very verbal when he has a complaint. He'll address it to management if he feels that it's something he/she needs to be made aware of. And he typically gives a place "three tries". Myself, I'm not always willing to give three tries ~ I've often dumped an eatery after the first time, depending on the place.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:23 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,239,642 times
My biggest peeve is having to wait and wait (and wait) for the check to arrive. The check arrives then, again, it's wait and wait (and wait and wait and wait) for the server to pick up the payment and bring change.

Happened just last night, in fact. I had to stand up and make myself noticeable to the staff near the kitchen because we hadn't seen our waiter in over a half-hour. It was time to go!

The Olive Garden by my job is horrible about this, so I will not eat there for lunch.

Another peeve, is that I can't stand it when a server kneels or squats at the table to present a more "personable" approach. I do not want to look down at them, nor do I want a buddy-buddy rapport. It's too plastic and just, well. . . stupid.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:27 PM

24,488 posts, read 40,994,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I'm betting for every person who hates this, there's one or more who *hate* it when they finish their appetizer, and have to wait, in their opinion, overly long for their food. I've never been a server, but it stands to reason that you can't serve everyone's whims, and some people's preferences are other people's peccadilloes. And everyone has their own definition of "a reasonable amount of time, in addition. Seems like it would be a no-win situation.

That said, I don't have many non-food-related peeves, but I do have one, and that's TVs in restaurants (of the non-sports bar variety, obviously). And I fully realize that there are some who doubtless LOVE this feature. Not I.
Many restaurants ask if you're done with your appetizer prior to bringing the salad or entree out. This seems proper to me. I mean, who brings the entree out with the appetizer plates and utensils still on the table? You wouldn't do that at home, why would they do that in a restaurant?

Old 07-27-2011, 10:46 PM

38,632 posts, read 22,624,519 times
After reading all the responses to this thread, it's no wonder that I'd rather call in my order and take it home. Nowadays, about the only time I'll dine in a full-service restaurant is to celebrate special occasions like family birthdays.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:31 AM

42,579 posts, read 86,604,351 times
I would say the top of my restaurant pet peeve list would be fussy diners at nearby tables, who expect to be treated like royalty, by staff who are mind-readers.

Old 07-28-2011, 11:40 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,060,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
Actually there are a lot who do. Ok maybe KNEELING wasn't the right word, but what they do is bend down on one knee (kind of like how a football player holds the ball in preparation for the punt) so eye contact is at an even keel. Many of your finer (and sharper) servers do this. And I have read that flight attendants on some Asian airlines are required to do this for First Class and Business class passengers and go over it in their training. It's all about the interaction and eye to eye at level is perceived as much more sincere.
I served at an upscale restaurant, and we never, ever kneeled. In fact, it was very frowned upon.

Old 07-28-2011, 11:44 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,480,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
that may be true, but i dont want to be punished for other people's bad behavior. it has to be common sense that there should be at least a little time between finishing the appetizer and receiving the entree.

its like when restaurants try to scare people into getting their steak overcooked. i assume its because more people complain of undercooked steak than overcooked steak so they often try to get people to pick the next level up of doneness.

oh and with tv's, i would be offended if someone at the table was too focused on the tv than the people at the table. i never really hold that against the restaurant though. my mom's boyfriend is practically braindead so it seems she has gotten used to watching television while eating at her house. i always have to grab the remote and at least put down the volume so the tv isnt focused on during a meal.

Old 07-28-2011, 01:31 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,356,547 times
All good points, Des-Lab. I eat out a lot, and I'm a good tipper too. 20% if the server does not do anything wrong. 25% is she is friendly when doing it. I never reduce a tip for anything not in the server's control like bad food, drafty room, noisy people around, etc. And, I don't tip less than 15% even if the server is the worst, rudest, most incompetent person on the planet. I just don't come back.

I am tempered a little on the huge tip however. The last time I left a $100 tip on a $200 check (everything was absolutely perfect), the server hit on me so much while we were getting ready to leave my wife got a little peeved.

Old 07-28-2011, 01:37 PM

1,631 posts, read 4,205,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
And, I don't tip less than 15% even if the server is the worst, rudest, most incompetent person on the planet. I just don't come back.
I don't understand this. It is like saying, "Hey, it's ok that you were rude and a terrible server, have a reasonable tip." How do you expect them to learn or to change? You're saying that this is ok. Now if it was a bad experience that was likely the kitchen's fault, then that is another story. But when it is a wait staff issue and they're rude or just plain terrible, why reward that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink