Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 01:17 PM

445 posts, read 864,530 times

Advertisements

Ok, certain people grocery shop at certain times due to their particular lifestyle and needs. Like housewives/moms probably shop during the weekday with their little kids. You can tell much about them just on sight. But what about other shoppers roaming around deciding exactly what goes in their cart and what does not?
I remember I was in the grocery store and I just had one of those little baskets because I didn't need much. I was in the frozen food section and this man came up to me and said I had the bachelorette basket. I had a couple of lean cuisines and some yogurt etc.. He walked on and I was like.. Ok, has was right but maybe I was just a married , working woman who was getting some stuff to take to work for lunch. Am I that transparent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 01:21 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,143,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickytoffee View Post
Am I that transparent?
Ummm... yeah!

Old 07-28-2011, 01:22 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
Well, it should be easy to see if you have kids...types of cereals, lots of milk, etc...

Lots of frozen dinners usually implies someone is single. I mean, I never ate frozen dinners (bc I was not raised on frozen dinners), but lots of single people I know buy those. BUT, like the op says, I know lots of married women who bring them to work for lunch. I guess in your case it was because there was nothing else in the basket.

A box of tampons in a guy's basket might imply he's in a relationship.

My basket (if I am going full-out shopping and not just picking stuff up) will have fresh bakery bread, fruits and veggies, stuff from the butcher, cheeses, pate, couple bottles of wine, spices, chocolate, fresh ground coffee...

Old 07-28-2011, 01:23 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,143,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
My basket (if I am going full-out shopping and not just picking stuff up) will have fresh bakery bread, fruits and veggies, stuff from the butcher, cheeses, pate, couple bottles of wine, spices, chocolate, fresh ground coffee...
Certainly nobody can figure you're a husband!

Old 07-28-2011, 01:26 PM

819 posts, read 1,129,495 times
My cart usually has around 10 pounds of chicken and/or beef, some vegetables and diet soda. It probably says I'm unimaginative when I buy food.

Old 07-28-2011, 01:28 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Certainly nobody can figure you're a husband!
I hope not...since I'm a chick.
And...I think my baskets tend to always look like date night.
Especially when I buy one of those little fruit tarts with the custard...yum yum...
I tend to buy my beer elsewhere.

Old 07-28-2011, 01:29 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,619,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickytoffee View Post
Ok, certain people grocery shop at certain times due to their particular lifestyle and needs. Like housewives/moms probably shop during the weekday with their little kids. You can tell much about them just on sight. But what about other shoppers roaming around deciding exactly what goes in their cart and what does not?
I remember I was in the grocery store and I just had one of those little baskets because I didn't need much. I was in the frozen food section and this man came up to me and said I had the bachelorette basket. I had a couple of lean cuisines and some yogurt etc.. He walked on and I was like.. Ok, has was right but maybe I was just a married , working woman who was getting some stuff to take to work for lunch. Am I that transparent?
Lol....I don't think so. Just a lucky guess tied in with a humorous comment. When I go grocery shopping one might guess me to be a single guy. I like to cook nice meals and get creative. So I buy more expensive stuff that takes time to prepare. And have been mistaken for a bachelor thus.
No mistaking my wife ...she has the family basket. Always. Though she will hide stuff for me to cook in the pile. She loves my sauted portabellas.

Old 07-28-2011, 01:32 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,065,599 times
I never take my kids to the store and I don't buy "kiddie food" like cookies, juice boxes, fruit snacks and whatever other crap they market to that population.

I'm not sure what my cart says about me. It's usually lots of veggies, some fruit, 2-3 lemons, bread, milk, eggs, triscuits, seltzer, frozen lean cuisines (husband takes them for lunch sometimes if we have no leftovers), 2 bottles of wine, sometimes beer, block cheese, fresh fish, sometimes meat, canned beans, greek yogurt, cereal (I do buy sweetened cereal but that's for my husband, not the kids).... and I guess a few odds and ends like pickles, mustard, quinoa, oatmeal. This week I also included Whoppers...blaming that on PMS!

Old 07-28-2011, 01:36 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,448,855 times
Not as much as they think they can. I have a family and I shop for different things at different stores. I buy meat at Costco, fruits, veggies at Sprouts, things like cereal, crackers, ice cream, snacks, frozen pizza at Walmart, and things like milk, yogurt etc at the closest chain grocer (or if I'm in a hurry, I might buy other fill-in's there too). Someone at Walmart could look at my basket and think - wow -what a load of crap she has! Not knowing that in addition to said "crap", that is actually my 3rd store that day and my teenaged son and his friends are coming over for movies and will stay all night and have breakfast then next morning. I don't buy lots of that stuff but...the reality is, if I want the teens to occasionally "hang" at my home some level of junk needs to be around. Otherwise, they just hang at someone else's house and eat them out of house and home - which isn't fair to the other families. When we eat family meals, we do eat fairly healthy...

Old 07-28-2011, 01:42 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Yesterday, I went into the grocery store for fat-free sour cream and a case of Diet Coke. I can imagine what someone MAY have thought, but they didn't know that the sour cream was going into an otherwise very fattening dish.

You're not transparent. People like to think that they can figure people out. Sometimes, when I'm in a line that's moving slowly, I try to imagine what another person in line does for a living, what their family life is like, what kind of car they drive, etc... all based on... nothing but what they look like. Silly but fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink