Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 08:06 AM

9,894 posts, read 21,951,611 times

Advertisements

Im pretty much broke until next weds (i have $5.00 for food) so until then ill be living off skippy extra chunky peanut butter & strawberry jam. For sides ill make some simple potatoe salad (red potatoes, mayo, eggs, salt & pepper) & also have canned corn, mixed vegtables ot tater tots. For desert ill have canned fruit cocktail or peaches. Has anyone else lived off pb&j for a period of time ? I dont mind it but i still gotta buy the large jar of jam at fresh n easy for $2.49 & a 1 lb loaf of bread for $0.99. I might also buy a big 4.2 oz hershey almond candy bar for $1.29. I have kroger ice tea or country time lemonade to drink.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2011, 08:12 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,450,566 times
if you have eggs you should try to make an omelet a day for your protein and have the pb&j for lunch. dont "waste" the eggs on a potato salad.
instead of the chocolate bar, get a green pepper and some mushrooms for the omelet, in order to change it up each day.

Old 07-30-2011, 08:21 AM

18,936 posts, read 11,538,387 times
What you described is more than just p&b sandwiches so, while I might never have eaten only p&b sandwiches for two weeks in a row, I've definitely done the following...

P&B every day for lunch
Brown rice and beans every night for dinner
bananas/apples for healthy snacks
hershey kisses for chocolate

I don't have a problem eating the same thing every day for a while - or not having a ton of food or animal protein. So, besides the processed foods instead of fresh, or lack of variety of nutrients, I don't see any issue with what you described - particularly if it's just for a couple of weeks and not years on end. It's not like you'll be lacking calories or going hungry.

Old 07-30-2011, 08:31 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,270,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
if you have eggs you should try to make an omelet a day for your protein and have the pb&j for lunch. dont "waste" the eggs on a potato salad.
instead of the chocolate bar, get a green pepper and some mushrooms for the omelet, in order to change it up each day.
I agree, forget the chocolate bar. There are several things, if you buy only one that would give more nutritional value like, yes, peppers, maybe 1 zucchini, and maybe a couple of peaches.

Nita

Old 07-30-2011, 08:35 AM

9,894 posts, read 21,951,611 times
Its just for 4 days & i only have 3 eggs left. One day ill have pb&j + tater tots & the next day ill have corn, etc. Ill skip the candy bar but you cant get much for less then 2 bucks. I might buy a 12 oz can of tuna (1.59) but thats for my 5 cats. Im not a fan of brown rice & beans. I recently gave away a load of food that was a few yrs or so past the best by date (stupid me) like brown rice & cup of noodles.

Last edited by steel7; 07-30-2011 at 08:46 AM..

Old 07-30-2011, 08:48 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,725,971 times
I agree with findinghope about the omelets, or you could do scrambled eggs if you like. You can make fried egg sandwiches. This would at least give some variety. You can just eat the potatoes by themselves. Just boil them, like my mom always did, or you can slice them up thin or dice them up and fry them in a frying pan.

You could just skip the jam, and eat plain peanut butter sandwiches. I've personally never been a fan of pb&j, just pb. If you skipped the jam and the candy, it would give you enough to buy something else to actually fill you belly, like maybe some dried beans and say a pack of tortillas. You could make burritos using the eggs, potatoes, beans.

Old 07-30-2011, 08:55 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,366,729 times
I'd probably bake the potato and put some sauteed veggies (onions are cheap and flavorful) - or any leftover salsa you might have....

I agree with skipping the chocolate bar - that is not much nutrition or "fill" for the amount of resources it's taking...If you have salsa (or Rotel is pretty inexpensive IIRC?) you could also put that in an omelet

Old 07-30-2011, 08:58 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,393,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
The PB contains 2G more protein then the eggs...per Tablespoon vs one egg..

Old 07-30-2011, 09:00 AM

2,184 posts, read 5,534,372 times
Be careful to get enough fiber so all the starchy carbs don't block you up. Greens willl help that. And fiber in your bread (whole wheat for example) will help.

Be sure to chew your food well.... that will help prevent blockage too. Difficult stools lead to hemorrhoids - no fun.

You can get things to eat at food pantries, too. When my kids were little we'd visit the pantries/churches occasionally when the food stamps weren't enough.

In Oregon, it's really easy to get food stamps if you don't earn too much.

Old 07-30-2011, 09:11 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,335,525 times
You're going to feed five cats off of 12 oz of tuna for four days?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink