U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 01:03 PM

9,209 posts, read 17,994,936 times

Advertisements

Wow, I have to try some of these ideas. I never buy raspberries anymore because they seem to begin to grow fuzzy mold as soon as the store rings you up. I've recently begun calling them "little purple petri dishes."

I like the flavor of raspberries but gave up on them because they go bad, it seems, in minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 01:07 PM

7,497 posts, read 9,249,561 times
I know, raspberries don't seem to last very long, they're already almost molding when I buy them half the time, but usually I'm craving raspberries when I buy them so I eat them right away.

Old 08-16-2011, 02:31 PM

4,037 posts, read 8,821,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
I know, raspberries don't seem to last very long, they're already almost molding when I buy them half the time, but usually I'm craving raspberries when I buy them so I eat them right away.
I bought some yesterday that were already molded. I just couldn't see the mold because it was all either under the label or on part of the berries that was facing inward, and couldn't be seen unless you actually took them out of the packaging. Same with some strawberries I bought at the same time.

Old 08-16-2011, 05:54 PM

18,856 posts, read 30,377,171 times
Hummm, the problem is that raspberries do have a short life, I remember picking them every morning, we had tons of raspberry bushes in our yard, wild ones. The berries were huge. The ones at the store just don't compare, so I buy frozen, much better.

I have had a problem with peaches, the peaches at the store, are so hard, you can't eat them, and they just don't even taste good, they are mealy, or mushy. Not like eating a "real" peach.

I am so disappointed with buying fruit at the store, I stick with apples, or bananas, and buy the rest either frozen, or at the farmers market.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:28 PM

8,268 posts, read 10,358,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Can't keep them around long enough to get mold. Sometimes they don't even get to the frig.
This. They are so expensive and come in such little plastic things I usually gobble them up before they even get to the fridge.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:05 AM

69,136 posts, read 79,243,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
I bought some yesterday that were already molded. I just couldn't see the mold because it was all either under the label or on part of the berries that was facing inward, and couldn't be seen unless you actually took them out of the packaging. Same with some strawberries I bought at the same time.
That really ticks me off. Sometimes they have a little paper liner underneith so you can't tip them up and check to see it they are starting to spoil. Please don't tell me you got them at Wal-Mart...I got strawberries that were starting to go bad at my favorite store a couple of weeks ago.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink